Spagvemberfest 2023 - or the crows will drink our beers

Grinders no. 21:

SE VUOI VIVERA … SPARA

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Se_vuoi_vivere…_spara

I really like Sergio Garrones Spaghetti Westerns. Especially DJANGO IL BASTARDO, TRE CROCI PER NON MORIRE and UNA LUNGA FILA DI CROCI.
This one here is in the “middleground”. Nothing special but also not a complete waste of time.
The beginning and the end is good and inbetween average stuff. But this depends on the story which is nothing special.
In the lead there is Ivan Rassimov aka Sean Todd in a sympathic role. Some of the bad guys are Tom Felleghy and Giovanni Cianfriglia as bounty hunter. Garrones brother Riccardo is also in a main role as a womanizer.
The whole flick is serious but there are also some fun moments loosen up the conventional story.
One of the females is German actress Christina Penz who also did some movies with good old Fidani.
Note to myself: I still need to buy her biography :wink:

German Dub is very special because it was done by Mr. Brunnemann who is famous and notorious for “Patter dubbing”. Really special fun moments in German version that cannot be tranlsated :slight_smile:

I have the German VHS and DVD in my collection that only have Widescreen image not scope. What a shame.
Also have reel 6/6 from 35mm copy but this covers only the last 8 minutes of the movie.
Here an image:
2020-07-05-6

Here you may watch the Movie with English dub and in Scope. This is exactly the version I have watched now but with added German Dub from companero mailman.
I especially like the credits. The score was recycled for several Fidanis:

9 Likes

Film #22 - Apocalypse Joe - First viewing :boom: :boom: :boom: out of 5

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Uomo_chiamato_Apocalisse_Joe,_Un

9 Likes

Spagvemberfest 2023

Number 15

The Three Musketeers of the West (B. Corbucci / 1973)

A musketeers in the west is not a bad idea and the George MacDonald Fraser version with Michael York and Ollie Read showed that the theme could be made into a successful comedy romp but this one doesn’t quite hit the mark. It’s not bad but isn’t nearly good enough and of course the slapstick is laid on too thick as usual. They obviously thought they’d nailed it though as the closing credits roll over a non-ending saying they’ll be back. There’s confidence for you.

6 Likes

Day 20: No Room to Die (a.k.a. A Noose for Django) (1969) D-Sergio Garrone. Starring Anthony Steffen, William Berger, Nicoletta Machiavelli. Several months back, I had made an attempt to watch ‘No Room’ but wasn’t in the right headspace to finish it. This time I watched the whole thing, and appreciated it a little more. I thought the movie being based around human trafficking and immigrant workers was original and social commentary ahead of its time. Steffens and Berger are both bounty hunters who have been hired to to go after a Mexican businessman/human trafficker, named Fargo. Steffens is motivated by ideals while Berger is motivated by money. Both Steffens and Berger compete against one another. Fargo offers both of them both $20 thousand dollars to look the other way. Both bounty hunters accept the money. However, some things go down and the three go after each other for each other’s loot. Somewhere in all this, the beautiful Nicoletta Machiavelli (who had been Fargo’s lady-friend) grows to despise Fargo over killing all the people he was trafficking when the US cavalry are close behnd. Berger’s bounty hunter is thematic with him dressed like a preacher or priest and quoting Bible passages after killing someone. Steffens’s performance was…well, like his other ones. If there was supposed to be any romantic chemisty between the Steff and Machiavelli, I wasn’t buying it. Rating: 2/5.

images.jpeg-10

8 Likes

This thread is a great way of getting reminders to check films off the ‘To do’ list … I’ve had a copy of this for ages, and just never got around to watching it … "To view or not to view, aye there’s the question … ’ :wink:

5 Likes

Sangue chiama sangue (1968) - Director: Luigi Capuano - 3/10.

Though the film technically reworks the revenge formula in order to incorporate some twists and turns in the way the tale unfolds, the extremely stodgy execution proves largely sleep-inducing and makes the motion picture a real chore to sit through. The refreshing thing about the flick is that most characters stay in the dark as to the identity of their true adversaries and this is further complicated by the interminable scheming of Sancho’s concubine as well as everybody’s quest for the diadem, so the narration turns out quite convoluted and intricate in the way different allegiances play out and exert an impact on the narrative trajectory.

Whether all of that translates into a gratifying film-viewing experience is another matter altogether though and what evetually stymies some of film’s aforementioned assets is Capuano’s remarkably corny, one-dimensional directing the old-fashioned disposition of which is further compounded by De Masi’s customarily antiquated score. Moreover, the motion picture tends to put emphasis on drama at the expense of action which is something I am usually a fan of, but here just proves remarkably tedious and soporific in that the flick simply comes to be reminiscent of a soap opera. Sancho puts on a good show as always, other performers are fine for the most part, but there is simply no sidestepping the issue of the passé direction, the nondescript, insipid craftsmanship and oppressively mawkish drama.

Reverendo Colt (1970) - Director: Marino Girolami - 3/10.

In spite of the superficially decent craftsmanship apparent in the way the shootouts are staged, there is a streak of vexing ineptitude pervading the entire storyline and manifesting itself in every second scene in that characters are wont to say things no self-respecting writer with a modicum of common sense and good taste would come up with. Though Madison acts out this nonsense with a straight face, which is quite incredible given some of the lines he elocutes, most situations dangerously verge on becoming outright parodic. What is even worse, Chris Huerta turns up in a skirt, yet again impersonating an imbecile and playing the bagpipes much to my joy of course; oh well, he does not gad about topless or giggle like a girlie at the very least, so there is still something to be thankful for.

Suffice to say, the characters engage in some really stupid dialogues and perform inane actions on a pretty much regular basis insofar as it hard to tell whether the intended effect here is supposed to be serious or semi-facetious in nature. The situation is not remedied to any extent by the fact that essentially the entirety of the second half is dedicated to… well, nothing really, the depiction of protagonists basically waiting for some breakthrough to happen I guess, so they become spectators just as much as the audience watching them watching the horizon for some signs of a rescue team coming their way. At any rate, the narrative thenceforth goes totally down the drain and the final scene is so asinine I am at a loss for words. Despite the glaring shortcomings, it is still strangely watchable, though there is no gainsaying this is one heck of a turkey all right.

10 Likes
  1. Lenzi: Go for Broke
    -There’s great pop art style title sequence with good theme music and Ireland & Damon make a good pair on the lead but I soon lost interest with this one. My copy was quite poor vhs-rip which didn’t help to follow the film as it was really dark at times. 5/10
9 Likes

Spagvemberfest Day 21 - Film 11: Ben and Charlie

287px-Amico_stammi_lontano_ItPoster02

A fun one! I love both Gemma and Eastman so I’m surprised it took me so long to get to this one. Great soundtrack too. Loved the weird cast of bounty hunters, and Gemma’s trickshot of firing his pistol in the air and his bullet landing in a bounty hunters glass of whisky :rofl:

7/10

10 Likes

Day 21. Movie 15. Four Bullets For Joe.
More whodunnit mystery than western, but with impossibly long, tedious tracking shots; right at the opening of the picture, a character on horseback gets shot and killed, and the body stays in the saddle as the horse trudges along sideways then towards the camera for dang near four minutes. Four! And that might be the highlight of this turgid affair.

10 Likes

Day 21: Find a Place to Die

Thoughts:

Snarling Jeffery Hunter and some absolute rat bastards get paid by Pascale Petit try and rescue Piero Lulli. Has a strong sense of atmosphere and some neat use of locations, but the script feels a bit undercooked, the two lead characters feeling underdeveloped compared to the supporting cast, and the tone is a bit wobbly. Still, pretty tight stuff.

10 Likes

Tonight, I sat through ‘Wild East’s’ very first DVD…and boy! It was fun…

Volume two tomorrow night…once I stock up on some Spanish ‘San Miguel’ lager.

12 Likes

Day 21: The Law of Violence (1969) D-Gianni Crea. Starring Giorgio Cerioni, Igli Villani, Angel Aranda. Another spaghetti/paella western from the director of ‘And on the Third Day, Arrived the Crow’ and ‘Finder’s Killers.’ Probably my favorite of Crea’s movies I’ve seen thus far, which isn’t saying much. However, I thought the story had a clever twist, which kept my attention. Jack Barrow/Sparrow (Cerioni) returns to Red Rock, the town where he was wrongly convicted and sent to prison. After getting rid of the corrupt Sheriff Buck (who had him sent away), Jack uses force to make himself one of the town’s patrician class. He appoints as sheriff, Chris (Aranda), the man who saved him after Sheriff Buck’s murder attempt. However, as the new town ruler, Jack runs an oppressive protection racket with hired thugs against the citizenry. However, Jack underestimates Chris, who believes in the rule of law, and not the “law of violence.” The clash over the heart and soul of Red Rock stands in the balance as both men ultimately must face each other and their visions. That’s what Crea was striving to achieve in this movie. Crea’s overall bad filmmaking skills get in the way, and the results are unintentionally comedic. The beginning credits are the longest I recall ever seeing for a movie. Let alone, a movie with the budget and scale of Crea’s. Fights and general movement of actors are poorly choreographed at times. I asked myself where the editor was in many scenes with characters giving questionably long pauses while delivering lines to one other. I think ‘Law’ is worth a watch. If for no other reason, then some laughs.

images.jpeg-11

6 Likes

Day 22

Plomo sobre Dallas - The Spaghetti Western Database (spaghetti-western.net)

Another Tubi night with another one that I’ve never had the opportunity to see before. Although it didn’t deliver in the end, this one drew me in right off the bat. Our hero, Carlos Quiney (whose entire career was primarily made up of appearing in the films of Jose Maria Zabalza, the director of this one, and Jose Luis Merino) arrives in the town of Tombstone. He immediately begins to make inquiries about a man named Ralston who was the owner of the 3-Crosses Ranch. Not only does everyone claim to have never heard of Ralston, they also claim to have never heard of the ranch. Even our heroine, the lovely Claudia Gravy, does her best to side step the subject.

This sets up an intriguing mystery but the delivery ends up bordering on the ridiculous at times and becomes really hard to follow. It was as if thirty minutes into the movie Zabalza completely lost the story and was never able to get it back on track. Still, I was invested enough that it kept my attention all the way to the end.

Something that did surprise me about this one was that even though it was made on a shoe-string budget, it contained some really impressive camera work at times - utilizing some unique angles and shots that aren’t always seen in this genre.

11 Likes

** The Unholy Four (1970)**

Ciakmull L’uomo della vendetta (Ciakmull the Vengeful Man) was directed by Enzo Barboni, the director of the Trinity movies and Even Angels Eat Beans. He replaced Ferdinando Baldi, who was fired by the producer Manolo Bolognini because they fought over Baldi wanting Annabella Incontrera to play Sheila, the role that went to Ida Galli, who is also known as Evelyn Stewart.

Chuck Mool (Leonard Mann) escapes the institution he’s been in thanks to three men, Woody (Woody Strode), Silver (Pietro Martellanza) and Hondo (George Eastman). Chuck has no idea who he is and the men decide to ride with him in the hopes that he can get his memory back. He makes it to a town where he was supposedly the best gunfighter and is being counted on to choose sides in a war between the Caldwells, whose leader John (Helmuth Schneider) might be Chuck’s father and the Udos, whose leader tries to convince Chuck that he’s really his father. Turns out that Chuck’s half-brother Tom Udo (Lucio Rosato) has always hated him for being illegitimate and he was supposed to stay out of the way.

Pietro Martellanza and George Eastman were Barberi’s original picks to play Trinity and Bambino. There are hints of that movie here as some of the fights are comical and in the way that Hondo can shuffle cards, not to mention a bean eating sequence.

By the end, this movie finally remembers to have some action, but it’s helped along by the cast and a sparkling Riz Orlotani jazz score. It’s great!

The AKA for this is The Bastard of Dodge City which spoils one of the movie’s reveals.

9 Likes

Spagvember Fest 2023 Day 21

Proper first time watch

Il Mio Nome e Shanghai Joe

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Mio_nome_è_Shanghai_Joe,_Il

*** 1/2 out of *****

OK, I’m just gonna be honest here, Shanghai Joe is a mixed bag for me. On the one hand the story, fight sequences, and Chen Lee’s encounters with genre heavyweights Piero Lulli, Klaus Kinski, Gordon Mitchell, and Robert Hundar are fantastic, but some of the racism the lead character faces from mainly the minor characters seems almost absurd at times

Now I don’t find this concept uncomfortable to watch, stuff like this did happen and we need to know about it and learn from it, but it feels like Caiano didn’t know whether to play it up for dramatic effect or to poke some fun at the bigotry people felt in those days. I just don’t know what to make of it.

Cauldron Films did a great job with their restoration and presentation of the film, and Mike Hauss does some great commentary.

6 Likes

With respect, you sound like you’re coming from a rather sheltered or naive background, if you find this extreme or absurd. This is lightweight for entertainment purposes … and the director is absolutely not promoting any racist attitudes.

We don’t do politics here, but as it’s a question being raised … you should be aware that casual racism was absolutely rife at the time the film was made, and if anything the filmmaker is protesting against that attitude … but he’s also using the situation to tell a dramatic story.

2 Likes

10: Il mercenario (1968), directed by Sergio Corbucci

10_Mercenario

Corbucci’s eighth Western adopts the Mexican setting from ¿Quién sabe?, the constellation of characters from Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo, expanded to include a strong female character, Columba, the dove, played by Giovanna Ralli, and it conducts a simplified discourse on the possibility or impossibility of a revolution, much in the spirit of the subversive movements of 1968. The eponymous mercenary, called il polacco (Franco Nero), a cynical, smug, detached opportunist, finds himself nolens volens in an uneasy partnership with Francisco Román, known as Paco (Tony Musante), a naïve Mexican rube; they are united by their common enemy, the aptly named gun for hire Ricciolo (curly in Italian, played with gusto by Jack Palance), who has such a rotten character that he would sell his own grandmother to the devil without batting an eyelid.

Premiered in Italy at the same time as C’era una volta il West, December 1968, Il mercenario almost seems like a panorama of the most typical and popular elements of Spaghetti Westerns, a best-of in a sense (the characters, the setting, Ennio Morricone’s score, the simple political messages, the meanness and violence, the ritualized final duel, et cetera). Not as original as Django and Il grande silenzio, but technically very carefully realized – Corbucci’s usual sloppiness is almost completely absent – it marks one of the high and at the same time end points of the Italian Western.

Next: Giulio Petroni’s Tepepa (1969).

12 Likes

Grinders no.22:

NON ASPETTARE DJANGO, SPARA

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Non_aspettare_Django,_spara

Staying with Sean Todd second day in a row.
Hm, this is my rewatch no. 5 or 6 I guess.
In principal I like Mulargias movies but i never got along with this here. Actors, atmosphere and score i like very much and also settings are good and with some nice details if you consider the very low budget.
But to me story is that kinda boring that - in Germany we say - it stretches like chewing gum :slight_smile:
84 minutes can be VERY long I now learned again…
Also Rada Rassimov is more or less wasted in her role. Only lamenting “Django”…

Putting Mulargias Spaghetti Westerns in a list NON ASPETTARE is close to the bottom:

1. EL PURO
  2. W DJANGO!
  3. PERCHÈ UCCIDI ANCORA
  4. PREGA DIO … E SCAVATI LA FOSSA! (if directed by him)
  5. SHANGO
  6. CJAMANGO
  7. VAYA CON DIOS GRINGO!
  8. NON ASPETTARE DJANGO, SPARA
    9.RIMASE UNO SOLO E FU LA MORTE PER TUTTI!

Nevertheless the nice German Poster is on my wall:

DWD-P

Watched this time a fan DVD-r with better picture quality than old German DVD.

10 Likes

My poster collection is mainly about the artwork, rather than the content … that means the poster is doing it’s job :wink:

3 Likes

Day 22:

La più grande rapina del west

(The Greatest Robbery in the West)

aka, ‘Halleluja for Django’ (1967)

Directed by Maurizio Lucidi who gave us both ‘Pecos’ movies, and similarly this film has a dark cynical humour and some tough violent scenes.

A small border town is held hostage by a gang of bank robbers led by, Walter Barnes - the gang wants to lie low until the sheriff’s posse gives up on them, and a local tracker arrives, who can guide them through the desert to safety.

The gang comprises of some of the best Italian SW baddies, including, Sal Borgese, Rick Boyd, Mario Brega, Luciano Catenacci and Bruno Corazzari … all faces you know, even if the names aren’t familiar.

So, of course tensions rise and incidents occurr … and it’s up to town drunk, George Hilton to sober up and save the day.

A little slow at times but full of good actors and supporting cast, make this an easy enjoyable watch.

7/10

PS: There is no ‘Django’ in the film despite the English title

:wink:

12 Likes