Spagvemberfest 2023 - or the crows will drink our beers

Day 16:

‘Lo voglio morto’ (1968) ‘I Want Him Dead’

Seen this one many times and always enjoyed it … though this time around I couldn’t get past how feckin’ stupid “our hero”, Craig Hill, is as ‘Clayton’.

Opening scene: Pre credits, Clayton and his sister are attacked by “road agents”, which he deftly dispatches.
Clayton and Mercedes ride into a town full of drunken soldiers and rape enthusiast, Jose Manuel Martin - He leaves her to get a room in this rough saloon, and 5 minutes later, she’s been raped and murdered.

The rest of the film, Craig has dozens of opportunities to avenge his sister, but that would mean the film was over in 10 minutes … he gives Jose Manuel Martin more chances than the ‘Hooded Claw’ gave ‘Penelope Pitstop’ !!!

:wink:

Still very enjoyable, and the Japanese BD has fantastic picture quality - some of the outdoor scenes look like they were filmed yesterday rather than nearly 60 years ago.

6/10

12 Likes

It sure do!

2 Likes

Yes, that guy is mighty rapey.

3 Likes

Un buco in fronte
Best regards to Grinder , maybe we watched it the same time :slightly_smiling_face:
Liked the dark story about the treasure in the monastery . The way there is shown by three playing cards and many holes in the forehead . Robert Hundars baddie is really bad , but has no chance against Bill Blood . My third flic with Ghidra and good work from Vari .
https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Buco_in_fronte,_Un

8 Likes

Spagvemberfest Day 16 - Film 8: Django Strikes Again

What a weird film. I didn’t despise it but it wasn’t good by any means either. Was surprised to see Donald Pleasance show up.

On a side note, who does William Berger play in this. I can’t remember actually seeing him in the film, although I wasn’t always paying 100% attention, to be honest. Looking through the discussion post apparently there is a prologue on some versions of this? The copy I watched from Rarelust just starts with the opening credits over the monastery so I’m guessing he has a part in the prologue that I missed?

5/10

10 Likes

Carambola, filotto… tutti in buca (1975) - Director: Ferdinando Baldi - 2/10.

Let’s face it, Baldi had no aptitude for comedy whatsoever as is evidenced by this series of films of questionable comedic merit. This is basically the same as what is found in the first installment, except that this time, the overall storyline does not even deign to dignify its audience with a concrete tale as such and upon dispensing with any semblance of serious craftsmanship, proceeds to disgorge the single vignette which is then taken and subsequently repeated over and over again, except that it is enacted in different loci and circumstances so as to bamboozle its unsuspecting viewer into thinking they are witnessing some kind of progression in this quasi-formless string of inanities disguised as a narrative.

The biggest issue undoubtedly dwells in that basically none of this is even remotely funny insofar as one feels sorely disoriented; one becomes chagrined at the realization that so many of these contrived situations are intended to provoke wild laughter, yet most of these bootless jokes simply taper off even before they are over and then they go on and on and on, prolonging this folderol by half an hour at least, which highlights the arrant dearth of substance. With the exception of ten to fifteen minutes in the middle which prove mildly amusing after a fashion, the motion picture seems content with plumbing the depths of bromidic ineptitude with little regard for scripting integrity and meaningful plot development. There is no conceivable reason to view this unless you are a glutton for punishment and want to test your endurance, but then again, there are better and more productive ways of doing that.

Djurado (1966) - Director: Giovanni Narzisi - 2/10.

To be perfectly frank, I am shocked at the lenience with which people tend to approach this absolute dreck of a motion picture. Not a single aspect of it proves even remotely passable and the absolute technical scurviness cannot be explained by the miniscule budget seeing that most of these ventures were produced on shoestring budgets with very little latitude in the way the filmmakers could creatively shape their movies. Not only is the underlying premise mind-bogglingly derivative, but also the fashion in which the storyline progresses turns out almost laughable and verges on becoming parodic, except that the intent is most certainly serious here for better or for worse. The directing smacks of a certain amateurish negligence which is particularly evident in its conspicuous visual abjectedness and fugly camerawork evoking in its utter squalor and tastelessness some of the worst dregs of the genre.

Some otiose attempts at comedy, e.g. the one in which the girl owning the cardboard saloon opens fire at the low-rent Giuliano Gemma clone only to offer him a drink a bit later, are so execrable and downright atrocious they prompted me to physically facepalm at one point, I mean what the heck were they thinking. The technical decrepitude does not end there, some of the montage is so out of whack it calls into question the basic competence of people who were tasked with assembling this abysmal failure of a flick. The turkey climaxes in what could be termed a soft deus-ex-machina which certainly bespeaks writing and creative helplessness, but by that stage, the salient want of legitimate ideas becomes demonstrably clear, so at that point, one simply exuberates at the finale, though not because of its inherent qualities, but rather because it signals the termination of the torture. What a despicable piece of trash.

10 Likes

‘Pistoleros’ AKA ‘Balata per un Pistolero’, (1967)

Directed by Alfio Caltabiano, this engaging tale is a variation on the plot for ‘A Few Dollars More’. Two gunfighters are after the same bandit, but for different reasons - one wants revenge, and the other the bounty…
The ever-dependable Anthony Ghidra plays the ageing gunman, with a score to settle; while the younger bounty-hunter is purely out to make a killing and a quick dollar.

All in all, this is a good, fast-paced, exciting SW, with a great score by Marcello Giombini (‘Sabata’), and plenty of action and intrigue to keep the most demanding viewer happy…

13 Likes

That’s correct. Berger is in the pre-credits sequence. The only scene that has at least a vague western feel to it if I remember correctly.

I watched it in the cinema when it came out and never since.

4 Likes

And musical taste in this case :laughing:. Thanks, Aldo

1 Like

I’m adding this one to my list!

2 Likes

The saloon seen in Djurado was embarrassingly terrible. Spot-on review!

Was there also an incredible exotica dance number in a cave setting in Djurado or was that in a different stinker? :thinking:

1 Like
  1. Castellari: Payment in Blood
    -Ok film with ok music. Nice film to spend hour and a half but not much else. 5/10
8 Likes

Day 16. Movie 11. Shango.
Y’know, when the best thing in a movie is the opening shot - in this case, the title character suspended from a tree in an oversized birdcage - it’s just plain rotten. The plot, I think, has something to do with the end of the Civil War and some missing gold. But it moves so… so… slowly. Even the gunfights and, especially, the few fistfights are weak. Just not for me.

10 Likes

It seems to only be on certain versions, and Berger is only on for 5 minutes. To me, the point of the prologue was to tie Strikes Again (which is Django on a boat in the jungle) with the the Italian films in the desert of the American west. The prologue is so awkwardly tied to the rest of the movie’s plot and overall ambience I can see why the makers of Django Strikes Again just decided to cut it (and Berger) from the film. I bought a Django/Django Strikes Again DVD Double Feature that was released by Anchor Bay Entertainment in 1999. In the cut scene, Berger is an old gunfighter. He walks into a saloon, and talks to another gunfighter (Mexican?) about Django. They leave the saloon and the saloon is blown up by a cannonball from the ship that Django is later held captive on in the jungle. It’s been a while since I watched the scene, but that was the overall gist of what happened in the prologue.

5 Likes

Spagvember Fest 2023 Day 16

Rewatch

Pecos e Qui: Prega e Muori

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Pecos_è_qui:_prega_e_muori

**** out of *****

I know some fans don’t see this as a proper SW, but I love it a lot. The treasure hunt mixed in with the Western works very well in the film, and who isn’t thrilled by the idea of finding purportedly long lost treasure. That the gold is associated with Montezuma and the Aztecs is very fitting to the Western atmosphere and theme. The Wild, Wild West episode The Night of Montezuma’s Hordes is the only other time I heard anyone mention Aztec treasure.

Robert Woods’ Pecos might not be as intense as he was in the original film, but he’s still a cool and tough hombre. His entrance scene saving the wandering Mexican musicians is a nice one. His methodical elimination of the gang of villains from planting seeds to make them turn on each other to simply getting them alone works every time.

Erno Crisa is excellent as the lead baddie El Supremo, and while the Fu Manchu mixed with bull fighting pirate look seems over the top, works quite well for the character. Supremo’s plan to take over Mexico with the treasure does seem very supervillain like, but it does work in the character’s favor. The bullwhip as his weapon of choice was a nice addition.

I love the adventure aspect to this Western and is just a good old fashioned fun time. The Koch DVD looks very good.

9 Likes

I wouldn’t say it quite that way @aldo, I always felt Clayton got sidetracked saving Lea Messari from her captivity first, and then puts full attention on getting Jose Manuel Martin’s character.

For me, the greatest irony of the film is the part Clayton doesn’t realize he’s playing in the course of the Civil War :wink:

1 Like

I don’t want to giveaway any spoilers for those who haven’t seen the film yet … but right from the outset he makes some serious errors of judgment … not to mention buying a worthless piece of desert for $4,000 … anyway, it’s just a bit of fun, and it is an entertaining movie despite the holes in the plot.

2 Likes

More rewatches of middling ones.

14. They Call Me Hallelujah Testa t’ammazzo, croce… sei morto… Mi chiamano Alleluja - The Spaghetti Western Database (spaghetti-western.net)
Gets the right balance on the comedy side of things for me, and offers some great performances from George Hilton and Roberto Camardiel in particular. 3 out of 5.

15. The Return of Hallelujah West ti va stretto, amico… è arrivato Alleluja, Il - The Spaghetti Western Database (spaghetti-western.net)
Hard to get behind this one as much as the first, though I tried to enjoy it more this time around. It is just way too much on the stupid-silly side for me, and loses a lot of what made the first one good by pushing things too far. Lincoln Tate’s Scotsman character in a kilt is a hard watch. 2 out of 5.

16. One Damned Day at Dawn Django Meets Sartana Quel maledetto giorno d’inverno… Django e Sartana …all’ultimo sangue! - The Spaghetti Western Database (spaghetti-western.net)
It drags quite a bit, but Hunt Powers and Fabio Testi make it a more interesting watch than it otherwise would be. Certainly not one of Fidani’s worst, but I know that’s not saying much. 2.5 out of 5.

17. Take a Hard Ride Take a hard ride - The Spaghetti Western Database (spaghetti-western.net)
I never disliked this film but I thought of it as being nothing special, now, though, I think it somewhat is. Still not something that will blow your socks off, but it does have elements to it that make it stand out. Jim Brown and Fred Williamson are really great together and Lee Van Cleef comes off a lot better in this than some of his more questionable later roles, as a sort of menacing vulture who hounds Brown and Williamson. Lots more memorable faces in Harry Carey Jr and Robert Donner, and very well directed by the stalwart Margheriti. 3 out of 5.

11 Likes

Day 17

Uccidete Johnny Ringo - The Spaghetti Western Database (spaghetti-western.net)

Back to Tubi for tonight’s selection and I decided to go with a little Brett Halsey.

Halsey plays Texas Ranger Johnny Ringo who shows up in a small town to investigate and bring down a counterfeiting ring. That is as succinctly as I can put it.

I can’t say I was particularly fond of this one. Sure, the plot was simple enough to follow and it provided us with some nice gunplay at the end but it just felt too much like an American western for my tastes. Don’t get my wrong, I love American westerns but when I sit down for a plate of spaghetti I prefer it with a side of nastiness and that is something this one definitely did not possess.

Frankly, Halsey reminded me more of the Lone Ranger (minus a mask, Silver, and Tonto) than he did a spaghetti western protagonist. To quote a line from another movie regarding a different Johnny Ringo, Halsey was “no daisy”. He was “no daisy at all”.

I am afraid I must search for something particularly nasty for tomorrow’s viewing - a glass of rot gut to wash down the milk and cookies I had this evening.

12 Likes