Spagvemberfest 2023 - or the crows will drink our beers

Film #3: A Minute To Pray, A Second To Die- Rewatch :watch: - :boom: :boom:out of 5

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Minuto_per_pregare,_un_istante_per_morire,_Un

7 Likes

Day 2 - The Tramplers
7/10

Cattle drives are very rare in Euro westerns, but this genre-blending western has 'em, and not just in stock footage! This one reminds me a little of the great Spencer Tracy western “Broken Lance” (which is loosely based on Shakespeare’s “King Lear”) and deals primarily with family feuds. What makes this interesting is that Gordon Scott and James Mitchum break away from their overbearing father (Joseph Cotton) and three other brothers, but also take along two of their sisters! And one of them marries a an almost entirely nonviolent Franco Nero, in a romantic role. The other–in a very quick side plot–marries a cattle driver that reminds me vaguely of Charlie Goodnight.

Unlike Keoma, where there’s just the one neglected step-child, this is a full on family split between bloodlines. Mitchum’s character gets way more interesting once he looses an arm and goes from the soft-hearted baby brother to wearing the black jacket.

The filming and dialogue can sound really traditional, like aping an American western. And there are so many subplots (cattle drives, romances, sibling rivalry, civil war legacy, toxic patriarchy) that it’s a little messy. But not boring.

I’m going to rewatch The Hellbenders next, to see just how closely these oft-compared films really line up. From what I remember, they do so only in a basic “greedy confederate father dooms his family” plot.

12 Likes

Day 3

Mátalo! - The Spaghetti Western Database (spaghetti-western.net)

I decided that since I had already started the Blood Money box set that I might as well finish it despite not being a huge fan of this film. That being said, the movie does start out with a ton of promise but it eventually makes the journey to trippy hippy land and once that occurs, there is just no saving it for me.

There are plenty of people that like this film and I can understand where they are coming from as it definitely carves its own niche in the genre but, for me, I vastly prefer its predecessor Kill the Wicked(s)!

Once again though, Arrow delivers with the quality on this release which leads me to another thought. I know at times that we all find fault with Arrow in one way or another and some of the time it is certainly deserved. But, I also think we owe them (and other companies out there) a bit of gratitude. Companies like Wild East and others paved the way in showing that there is a market out there for films of this nature - not only westerns but giallo, gothic horror, etc. Companies like Arrow have picked up the ball and run with it by not only making these films accessible but by providing the fan with highest end releases possible.

As far as “cult cinema” is concerned, we live in amazing times.

9 Likes

Grinders no. 3

CAVALCA E UCCIDI

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Cavalca_e_uccidi

Again in pre Leone Spaghetti land. :wink:
I bought this movie on VHS longtime ago and in 2003 I was lucky to record a more or less Scope print from German TV.
German cut is only about 71 minutes (PAL) long and OK for a early Spaghetti Western.
I rewatched it now from new German DVD because theres a longer version of about 85 minutes (PAL) with English and Italian language .Quality is OK and DVD is on low price level.
Strange thing is that there are no credits in this version. You only see title at the end…

The longer version did not make the movie better or worse for me but this time I realized that in long shoot-out at the end with quick cuts there are some scenes used from TRES HOMBRES BUENOS that was ramdomly number 1 of my 2023 Spagvember list. Never would have recognized this fact if I hadn`t watched both movies so close…so it was worth to rewatch

8 Likes

Spagvemberfest Day 3: Trustful Buck (Tonino Ricci)
This falls squarely into the “just checking it off my list” territory. A mediocre Jack London adaptation made for television most likely. Not terrible, but … forgettable. Passing off German Shepherds as wolves is also a weird thing to be happening in childrens movies. The Alpine locations are nice and the cast is decent, but it’s just not much of a movie. The German dub is atrocious, too.

8 Likes

Seminò morte… lo chiamavano il castigo di Dio (1972) - Director: Roberto Mauri - 3/10.

Having seen both works comprising the composite in question and having disliked both, I had no great expectations for this thing, bearing also in mind that it was Mauri who had supervised the whole assembly process, and what I ultimately got was more or less what I had anticipated. This is to say that the final product is somewhat muddled and disjointed, but considering that most of it is constructed from segments extracted from two different movies helmed by two different directors all of which is then merged with the assistance of some additional footage, the end result turns out to be not a total mess and a large chunk of it hangs together for the most part.

With that being said, most scenes do feel crudely stitched together and have that grubby, extempore appearance which affords the composition the distinctly sordid aesthetics of a composite hack job all right. Some viewers may very well cherish that squalor and unabashed putridity of its provenance, but outside of that very specific niche, the film simply fails to provide much in the way of an engaging storyline or a compelling style. Mauri’s execution is just your customary, featureless craftsmanship which, in conjunction with the patchwork script, firmly hurls the work below the average. Nevertheless, it is not a total disaster and is still superior to Mauri’s An Animal Called Man for what it’s worth.

9 Likes

Day 3: Long Days of Vengeance (rewatch)

Thoughts:
One of my personal favorites. The hot sun beating down on the Spanish desert. Armando Trovajoli’s amazing score. Gemma’s dressing sharply, going around getting his vengeance in a very flippant manner.

10 Likes
  1. Lupo: Ben & Charlie
    -I remembered this being more comedic but actually without the inevitable saloon fight and some silliness here and there it’ s actually a good western. Well directed with great cinematography ( by D’amato), editing and music. It has a potential to be one of the better ones but it’s just seems to be missing something. 7/10
11 Likes

Day 3. 7 Dollars On The Red.
Well, if you need to have a runtime of 90 minutes and you’ve only got 50 minutes of story, you include 40 minutes of shots of guys riding around for no particular reason. Between that, and feeling like I had mistakenly turned on a middling Randolph Scott picture, there ain’t much to recommend about this one

11 Likes

Day 3. The Last Gun (Bergonzelli, 1964)

This worthless early euro western cheapie is proof that I should stick to rewatches as the genre has very few worthwhile entries left for me to see, it seems. All I can say is that I absolutely hated the sight of a shirtless Livio Lorenzon in tight leather pants and this features some of the least convincing Guitar playing I’ve ever seen. Skip if you have any sense in your mind, but your participation in this challenge shows there’s little chance of that being the case.

7 Likes

1. Ben and Charlie

Read the premise and went in looking for a lighter, Trinity inspired buddy movie but came out loving contemplative, quieter moments a lot more. Very good looking movie. The scene in desert are quiet a treat, and actions whether for comedic effect or rough ones are kind of cool. Wish they committed to more serious picture as in trying to sway between comedy and sweaty, sun-baked character drama some of the effects were lessen. Leading up to finale is quite ominous sounding and the showdown was nice. Luciano Catenacci OTT death was :100:. Probably my least favorite Lupo out of all three I’ve seen so far tho.

10 Likes

I mentioned something about Livio Lorenzon…

1 Like

I feel the very same way about him, he’s not much of an intimidating presence…

1 Like

Day 4: Da Uomo a Uomo

This was also a first-time watch for me, and, as with the other Petroni film I watched yesterday, I loved it!. Van Cleef, the music and cinematography, John Phillip Law, the direction, the atmosphere! Everything worked.
Although not as good as “Tepepa”, still a soldi 8/10

8 Likes

Day 3, sorry. Please excuse my clumbsyness

Spagvember Fest 2023 Day 3

First time watch

7 Pistole per i MacGregor

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Sette_pistole_per_i_MacGregor

*** 1/2 out of *****. A very fun and entertaining middle of the road SW. The tongue n cheek atmosphere fit perfectly.While maybe not Top 20 material, both Essential and Alternative, the director does enough interesting stuff to keep the film above average and that’s always a good thing. I was pleasantly surprised at how a Scottish clan was portrayed, refreshingly non overdone. Robert Woods does an excellent job as the eldest brother of the MacGregor brood who stays one step ahead of the bad guys for a good chunk of the picture. Fernando Sancho is always a welcome sight, though it was unusual seeing him play a 2nd in command, but Leo Anchoriz did a great job as the main villain, so it all worked out.

The schemes and plans of attacks by the brothers are a cool highlight and brought some smiles to my face. The Blu Ray picture quality seemed fine to me.

10 Likes

I like how the Zapata movies tap into the politics of the times. Definitely a lot of messaging about Italy’s politics as well as nods to the anti-colonialist revolutions in Africa, Asia, and Latin America during the '60s/'70s.

4 Likes

The sequel is just as good imo! Worth checking out for your Spagvember :+1:

1 Like

Day 3:

‘The Moment to Kill’ (1968)

With the talent involved this should have been really good … it’s anything but that. Confusing plot … Very unfunny one liners from unlikable lead characters - Tedious shoot 'em ups with an inexhaustible supply of henchmen, and a very predictable outcome.

I very nearly bailed on this one after the first 15 minutes … I owe myself a good one for tomorrow night :wink:

3/10

9 Likes

Spagvember Fest Day 3:

Only just now getting to my first film at the very end of the third day but oh well.

Watched the new blu of Seven Guns for the MacGregors. Still a very enjoyable flick. Sadly the blu is a bit of a dud. Poor image quality and the English track is badly out of sync in places.

7/10

13 Likes