Spagvemberfest 2022 - the legend continues

That’s a great month you have ahead of you. :slight_smile:
I’m doing all LVC films for the first half of the month will have a mixture of joy (Day of Anger, For a Few Dollars More, TGTBATU…) and pain (KId Vengeance, God’s Gun, Bad Man,s River…)

2 Likes

Talking about great month! You have a fantastic one ahead of you! :star2:
(But I feel the pain with the last ones :'3 At least Lee was always great, even though the films themselves could be lacking )

1 Like

See you on the other side :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Do yourself a favour and skip these two! … I’ll get heranged for this, but, you’ll see :wink:

Haha well now I have to see them just to know why! xD

I’m watching “Django” as we speek.
He just pulled out a full blown machine gun out of a coffin!! o.o
I was so not prepared for that and laughed out loud :'3

5 Likes

DAY 1:

C’era una volta questo pazzo, pazzo, pazzo West (1973) - Director: Vincenzo Matassi - 1/10

Indubitably one of the genre’s worst. Albeit not as tawdry as Crea’s creations on a purely technical level, this one embraces every single thing you would dread to see in a movie of this sort: slapstick-over-story content, no central storyline to speak of, horrendous acting and generally no originality whatsoever. The reason why it is indeed one of the worst is because this is the most banal, wretched, laziest hack job you could picture in your wildest nightmares. Apart from being bland and puerile, it isn’t even that vulgar and it is outstripped by Più forte sorelle in this regard by a wide margin.

The primary issue appears to be that aside from the general meritlessness, its comedy is so mind-numbingly hackneyed it doesn’t even gratify on the lowliest level either, it even fails to distinguish itself by reason of its crassness, which is the only conceivable way any of this could have worked. Anybody who dares to call this or that Fidani flick the worst entry in the genre should seriously see this and then hang their head in shame. So yes, the reputation is entirely deserved, it’s true, all of it. This is no joke, don’t let your curiosity get the best of you, avoid at all costs (or not, depending on your motives), this one is actually kryptonite. The one review on IMDb from a French critic is pretty hilarious, Fidani vindicated at last.

Su le mani, cadavere! Sei in arresto (1971) - Director: Sergio Bergonzelli - 6/10

Jeepers, what a tremendous opening scene and what a great score courtesy of Alessandro Alessandroni, though I am not sure how the beginning is supposed to be related to the remainder of the story outside of the climax, it seems to be artificially tacked on top in some sense. Too bad the rest of it does not pan out quite as prepossessing as its prologue, that being said, the comedic elements of which I were initially quite apprehensive do not turn out incongruous in the end and are well integrated into the storyline all things considered, no slapstick of any sort is to be found here, which is a relief indeed.

The direction is actually stylish and visually vivid, giving the movie a brisk appearance with multiple diagonal shots and taking advantage of some snappy editing, the film is relatively well paced too; the tale as such is something you have seen many times before in other works, but the material here is rendered in a pretty neat fashion and strikes the right balance between comedy and a more serious oater. This is nothing essential evidently, still, you could do a lot worse than that and the movie makes for lively, unpretentious entertainment, one of the more solid and diverting mid-tier spaghies.

8 Likes

Day 1

The Dirty Outllaws (1967)

Changed around my Spagvember watchlist after seeing that a rip of the new blu ray was uploaded to Rarelust. Glad I didn’t buy the blu cause this was just so-so. Not awful by any means but not exactly an exciting spag. 3/5

8 Likes

ITS HERE!

The wife-baiting, eyeball-hating, stay-up-lating, patience-grating, no-more-waiting marathon of marathons! SpagvemberFest! Or, as mrs.caress likes to call it: “Oh, for f#ck’s sake! Again with that shit?!? When are you going to grow up?” Ah, bless. Love you, babe!

DAY 1

My theme this year is “Draw at Sundown”. I’ve listed my thirty choices for this year’s SpagvemberFest alphabetically, numbered them accordingly, printed off the numbers 1-30, cut those numbers out, screwed them up and thrown them in a Tupperware box. And every day through November, I’m going to draw one. At sundown. Ahem.

So, the first number out of the box was number 8, which means I shall this evening be tucking into the fantastic Death Sentence (Lanfranchi, 1968), the anthology-style perennial alternate top 20 favourite, and the movie I’ve been requesting from Arrow, 88 Films and Eureka every few months for something like 6 or 7 years now. Of course, if any of those outfits do finally release it, I’m also hopeful they’ll throw in a platinum blonde fright wig as a bonus extra.

13 Likes

That’ll be the ultra limited Albino edition? only £69.99 :wink:

3 Likes

Day 1

The Bang Bang Kid (1967)

My goal this month is to watch only movie I haven’t seen before, I’m hoping it isn’t too painful.

This movie is a great way to open my month, signaling what will likely be the bulk of my fest, ridiculous comedies. Thankfully this one isn’t just aping the Trinity success as it came before and really is it’s own thing. Imagine Django Kill but instead of upping its toes into horror, it’s more interested is jokes, robots, castles and kings. For what it is it’s fun but even at just 80 minutes the jokes had overstayed their welcome.
The soundtrack by Nico Fidenco is legitimately great and has none of the silly sounds of the usual comedy western themes, so much so that it was reused the year later in “Bury Them Deep”, not a comedy.

8 Likes

Yeah, limited to the first 50,000 copies only! I’d better buy three: One to keep mint, one to flog on eBay and one for when I want to dress up like Tomas Milian :grinning:

1 Like

Spagvember Fest Day 1

Sergio Corbucci’s Il Grande Silenzio

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Grande_silenzio,_Il

This is the first time I’ve watched this film in almost 20 years and the first time ever restored on Blu Ray. I have to say the restoration is magnificent looking, a million times better than the old school Fantoma DVD. The colors are vibrant and the Italian audio is crisp My experience this time around is much better, and the film seems to be going at a much better pace.

Kinski’s character is still as cold a bastard as ever. I love the bounty hunter role in the Western game Red Dead Online and while I prefer bringing in the targets alive, Tigrero is one guy I wouldn’t mind putting a red eye right between his grey ones and bringing in dead or putting some shotgun buckshot in his guts and let him suffer (Proves Kinski’s doing his job in making you hate him).

I almost forgot how beautiful Vonetta McGee was back in the day, and the restoration really highlights her looks. Frank Wolff definitely brings a lightheartedness to the film, but I wouldn’t say he’s a comic type character. Not sure if I’ll watch Corbucci’s preferred dark ending or the ambiguous one yet though.

UPDATE

I watched all three endings and I have to say that the 2nd alternate ending, the one that leaves everyone’s fate ambiguous is the much better ending. Corbucci’s preferred ending I knew was coming, but still find it difficult to watch, and while the happy ending is clever, the armor on Silence’s hand seems very out of place. So I think for future rewatches I’ll watch the 2nd alternate ending.

10 Likes

Love the theme you’ve gone with Asa, very cool. Very appropriate as well, gives a true Western vibe to the Fest.

1 Like

Day 1: Una Pistola per cento bare
Hangover after Halloween night, so just a short one today and a very short rating. solid revenge western with the unique idea of the mad people.

I don’t have a list yet, some of the genre highlights are planned for the next days, especially films that introduced me to Spaghetti Western. And maybe some cheating, we will see… other movies will be chosen randomly.

7 Likes

Day 1: Cut-Throats Nine (1972) d. Joaquin Luis Romero Marchent. Since I’m beginning the withdrawal stages from a 31 day Grindhouse film fest with plenty of Italian horror flicks, I will be weening myself onto Spagvember this year with Marchent’s brutal Grindhous-ish masterpiece.

10 Likes

Great pick, and welcome on board!

1 Like

Spagvemberfest 2022

Day 1

Kid Vengeance (Manduke / 1976)

First half of Spagvemberfest this year will be all of LVC’s spags and decided it would be best to mix and match them on a daily rotation to avoid facing an entire week of bad wig payday shockers. Also decided that as this is only day one and my constitution is at its strongest I would start with his last first and get it over with.

To be fair, I hadn’t watched this in something like 15 years I think so my memories were as fuzzy as the picture quality of the Mill Creek “public domain” disc I watched it on. Turns out 15 years wasn’t long enough. Well, maybe that’s a bit unfair. It’s nowhere near the worst I’ve seen. It just isn’t very good and is a proper waste of talent with LVC and Jim Brown on board. Although Lee’s full on skullet hair do is worth a glance. The thing that really puzzles me is why they chose to have a kid protagonist and then make the film this adult in content. Leif Garrett was a very popular teenybopper idol at the time but those fans wouldn’t have been let in to see this and for adults he just doesn’t make an interesting lead. Not that it’s X rated exactly. Just not an obvious fit for the average reader of Tiger Beat and 16. Ah well.

Oh, and also turns out the only copy of the film I have is still that old Mill Creek fuzzfest. The real world has never looked so Hi Def clear in comparrison.

8 Likes

Day 2

One Against All aka Jesse James’ Kid (1965) with the great Robert Hundar.

Hijo de Jesse James, El - The Spaghetti Western Database (spaghetti-western.net)

Poor young Bill James is a witness when his father, Jesse, is ruthlessly murdered by his cousin Bob as he hangs a picture on the wall.

jj3

When Bill grows up, he unfortunately looks just like his father, so he travels the West to escape his past until the day he loses his horse and saddle in a poker game. This forces him to take a job on a ranch owned by Dorothy (Mercedes Alsonso).

JJ2

It is while he is there that he encounters a ruthless local rancher (Luis Induni) who is determined to take over all the ranches in the area, including the one owned by the lovely Dorothy. Though it has been years since he has seen the man, Bill comes to believe him to be his father’s murderer Bob and sets out to avenge his father’s death.

An early entry in the genre with a silly but promising premise that never really delivers. It is far too sterile and innocent for my taste, more closely resembling an American release from the period than a harsh and violent spaghetti.

6 Likes

Thanks, Sebastian!

Ginger Vermillion, MA

1 Like

You’re the same Ginger that participated last year then, right? If so, welcome back!