Spagvemberfest 2020

Ferdinando Baldi’s Viva Django / Django, Prepare A Coffin was my choise today which is nearly 100 % free from any disturbing comedy nor overlong fist fights or random boring gun play.
Terence Hill, Horst Frank and George Estman are all in fine shape in this well directed and typically of Baldi slightly complex revenge western with its unusual two in time separated climax shootouts where the respective head bad guys are eliminated. I like the music by Gianfranco Reverberi (but according to a source a theme was supposed to be recycled by Morricone but I didn’t recognize it).
I choose to consider this SW as a very fine and entertaining prequel to Corbuccis Django.

7 Likes

Day 28. I just start watching this one. It is the only one from George Hilton that I have not seen before.

We’re almost reaching the end and I feel I could continue for a while more, if avoid the worst ones, but the wife is now complaining about this never ending marathon.

Guess I really have to switch off from spaghettis for a while in the name of my good marriage.

6 Likes

Almost forgot to due the 2nd half of the recap of this season, time for my final thoughts from Day 16 to the end

Day 16: Chiedi Perdono a Dio…Non a Me - Solid little Revenge themed Western, with a fine passionate performance from Giorgio Ardrisson, and a great villain turn from Dragomir Bojanic. Definitely worth a number of re-watches.

Day 17: Killer Kid - Fine action pieces and solid roles from Fernando Sancho and Giovanni Cianfriglia (aka Ken Wood) are the best parts of the this early Zapata Western that had great potential, only to come up short.

Day 18: Ramon il Messicano - A little SW that deserves a lot more praise, especially the performance of Claudio Undari (aka Robert Hundar). Jean-Louis is not as bad as I think some folks here say, but he definitely doesn’t have the magnetism of a Nero, Garko, Hilton, or even Steffen.

Day 19: Winnetou Teil I - A nice change of pace German Western in the Fest that offers up lush Slovak locales, brave heroes, slimy villains, and carefree adventure. A must watch.

Day 20: Winnetou Teil II - Just as good as its predecessor, another must watch.

Day 21: SW Trailer Compilation I - An easy, but still exciting day of viewing material that sets up excitement to see the full feature.

Day 22: SW Trailer Compilation II - More exciting trailers to films I wanna see.

Day 23: Lo Voglio Morto - One of the best Revenge SW’s ever made, a worthy film to be in the Top 20 of anyone’s list. Solid story, top notch acting, and great locales, deserves a re-watch every year.

Day 24: Sangue Chiama Sangue - A smaller scale SW, but still fun and exciting, once again featuring a larger than life Fernando Sancho.

Day 25: Un Trano per Durango - A very fine SW that mixes lightheartedness and action. A rare and amazing performance from Anthony Steffen. Anything involving the search for gold always makes for a good story.

Day 26: Thanksgiving Day break

Day 27: Holiday while decorating for Christmas

Day 28: Una Pistola per Ringo - A Classic of the genre, 'nuff said. A must watch for any fan.

6 Likes

Day 29: Tepepa

How on earth has it taken me so long to get around to this one? Absolutely loved it.

Tepepa

10 Likes

SPAGVEMBERFEST 2020

Day 29

Pistol Packin’ Preacher (Savona / 1972)

Family friendly fun from Savona starring a grinning Mark Damon. It’s not the worst of these seventies comedies but it is a bit tiresome to be honest but it needed ticking off and now it’s done.

For tomorrow’s finale I think I’ll still select something off the “to watch” pile but make it one of the upgrades of something I’ve seen before.

5 Likes
  1. Corbucci: Companeros
    -A masterpiece 10/10
8 Likes

So I did upload a few of the posters uploaded during the 'Fest this year, but not all. So those who did upload the first half of the month, please do point out high quality poster images you found that weren’t in the database, and we’ll put them up there.

2 Likes

Il lungo giorno del massacro will be my company for day/night 29. It will be the second one with Peter Martell but the first in the main character role so it fits in my rulles for the marathon. I do expect lots of actions in this one, nothing else.

3 Likes

‘Navajo Joe’ and ‘Mannaja’ (a.k.a. A Man Called Blade) were masterpieces of the genre in my opinion. Today, I will be watching ‘The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly’ (1966).

5 Likes

SPAGVEMBERFEST 2020

Day 30

The Great Treasure Hunt (Ricci / 1972)

Another Spagvemberfest comes to an end and it’s been the perfect way to spend a miserable damp housebound November.

And to finish up this year I chose to watch an upgrade copy of a film I enjoyed pretty well first time around a few years ago. For a western released in the seventies and very much post Trinity this one is a real pleasure. Light hearted without being annoying, action packed while still having a story and characters to follow. For my money this is one of the best caper movies in the Spaghetti Western genre and ranks very high on my “Spag which deserves a proper release” list. It clips along and doesn’t outstay its welcome and is entertaining from start to finish. Plus you get a proper lead role for the wonderful Rosalba Neri. And in tight leather trousers!! Seriously though, she never looked better and it is a real treat to see her in a western where she gets a proper role and a chance to act.

And so with the month at an end but lock down stretching who knows how much further ahead I am twitching to continue on. Maybe with a different genre for December? I can’t bear Christmas films so won’t be following last.caress down that road but my collection should provide plenty of other options. A very Gialli Christmas maybe? Or Chop Sockey-cember? Poliziocember? I’m going to pore over my discs and see what grabs me.

Well done to everyone who took part again this year. It’s been a blast.

5 Likes

I am going to watch one more and then will publish a summary.

SPAGVEMBERFEST 2020: DAY 30

SpagvemberFest? Over? So soon? Well, if we have to say goodbye, we might as well do so in style. And what better way to go out than with A Fistful of Dollars (Leone, 1964), in which… well, who knows what happens? Not me. I’ll have to find out today.

Well! I always said that anyone wanting to join in with SpagvemberFest could watch whatever films they liked however they liked, even if they wanted to watch the same movie thirty days on the trot. And I always thought that I wouldn’t want to suggest something to someone which I wouldn’t at least attempt myself. So, here we are. I attempted it. And it was far and away the most brutal SpagvemberFest I’ve ever attempted, with far and away the most days missed. Gentlemen: You can watch the same movie on thirty consecutive days for SpagvemberFest if you want, but I do not f#cking recommend it. Shitting crikey, no!

MY SPAGVEMBERFEST 2020
1st: A Fistful of Dollars (Leone, 1964)
2nd: A Fistful of Dollars (Leone, 1964)
3rd: A Fistful of Dollars (Leone, 1964)
4th: A Fistful of Dollars (Leone, 1964)
5th: A Fistful of Dollars (Leone, 1964)
6th: - - - - - - - - - -
7th: A Fistful of Dollars (Leone, 1964)
8th: Some woman on YouTube playing A Fistful of Dollars on the recorder
9th: A Fistful of Dollars (Leone, 1964)
10th: A Fistful of Dollars (Leone, 1964)
11th: A Fistful of Dollars (Leone, 1964)
12th: - - - - - - - - - -
13th: A Fistful of Dollars (Leone, 1964)
14th: A Fistful of Dollars (Leone, 1964)
15th: A Fistful of Dollars (Leone, 1964)
16th: A Fistful of Dollars (Leone, 1964)
17th: A Fistful of Dollars (Leone, 1964)
18th: - - - - - - - - - -
19th: A Fistful of Dollars (Leone, 1964)
20th: - - - - - - - - - -
21st: A Fistful of Dollars (Leone, 1964)
22nd: - - - - - - - - - -
23rd: - - - - - - - - - -
24th: A Fistful of Dollars (Leone, 1964)
25th: - - - - - - - - - -
26th: A Fistful of Dollars (Leone, 1964)
27th: - - - - - - - - - -
28th: A Fistful of Dollars (Leone, 1964)
29th: - - - - - - - - - -
30th: A Fistful of Dollars (Leone, 1964)

20 out of 30. Two-thirds of it. I’m quite pleased with that tbh.

7 Likes

Are you sure these are mild symptoms you are experiencing?

2 Likes

This Spagvember has been a real challenge for us Swedes since we have not been convicted of the lockdown punishment, thus having too much freedom in our movements and choises creating too many alternatives to pure SW entertainment. For example many of us sometimes choose to go out for a healthy run in fresh air instead.

But yesterday I even succesfully pursuaded my wife to join me in watching El Puro which was a new experience for her. Even just the main musical theme by Alessandroni should have convinced her that the time was well spent with this slightly weird SW where the mood, style and characters played by Robert Woods ,Rosalba Neri et al togerther make El Puro a pleasure to watch.

6 Likes

Bunch of weirdos

2 Likes

Can’t say I have been very diligently festivitating this 'Fest, but I will also try to squeeze in one more tonight. In my defense, of those that I did watch, some of which I also turned into more extensive reviews… I snuck in a few early #Deucember flicks already, as well. But I did get sidetracked too much. So kudos to all the diligent disciples of the Fest, and I am sure one of you will be the lucky winner of the Dorado Films BluRay…

2 Likes

I wouldn’t attempt such a thing on two accounts: firstly, I doubt I would be able to complete the marathon with a movie that I dislike and secondly, while I would be capable of managing the challenge when picking one of my favorites, I fear I would end up hating it in the end. BTW, aren’t you sick and tired of the movie now?

1 Like

Pity it is not A Fistful of Dollars…
I would know a winner :wink:

3 Likes

:rofl:

Well that is clearly the answer to my December dilemma. Deucember will allow me to watch all kinds of genres rather than choose just one.

I don’t do twitter though @Admin so I’ll have to pop my responses on here instead. I’ll start a Deucember thread for that very purpose. :slightly_smiling_face:

Are there any rules I should know about or is it as wide open as it sounds?

2 Likes