Spaghettis with Indians

Let’s not forget White Comanche. William Shatner’s tour de force. That movie has loads of Indians. None of whom are very convincing of course and most of whom probably wish they weren’t in it at all.

Ok, now that we have listed a lot of sw’s with indians, is there any film where the indian is really played by real native american or just an actor who really looks like indian? I think Jonathan of the Bears had real natives and the great theme song was also sung by native american but otherwise spaghettis are quite infamous for some really bad fake indians.

According the famous story Marlon Brando also refused the role of Navajo Joe because he didn’t want to be in a film with fake indians.

You mean Shatner is a fake Indian?
I can’t believe it!

[quote=“Phil H, post:23, topic:475”]You mean Shatner is a fake Indian?
I can’t believe it![/quote]
Neither can i! he’s so believable in this role :stuck_out_tongue:

Hmmm. I think real Indians ( or Native Americans to be politicaly correct ) would have been a bit hard to find in Southern Spain or Italy during the 60’s and 70’s. Maybe some South American Indians from former Spanish colonies might have been available in Spain as extras for SW’s. If I remember correctly, Johnathan of the Bears was shot in Russia, so the native peole in it would probably have been Siberian or Mongolian or such like.

The worst “Indians” I think have appeard in an SW are the 2 in Django Kill. The English dubbing is terrible, they sound like they went to a posh english school. And all that waffle about happy hunting grounds etc is stereo typing at it’s worst! Heap daft script by white man!

Don’t forget “A Genius, Two Partners and a Dupe”.

After viewing Apache Woman the other evening which of course has Indians in, I was thinking about alot of the last Spaghetti westerns have Indians/half breeds in and wondered if there was any reason for this?

I was thinking of ; Keoma, Scalps, White Apache, Buddy Goes West and Jonathan of the Bears .

After watching the Karl May films I thought all Native Americans were actually just Jugoslavians with face paint on?

[quote=“ENNIOO, post:27, topic:475”]After viewing Apache Woman the other evening which of course has Indians in, I was thinking about alot of the last Spaghetti westerns have Indians/half breeds in and wondered if there was any reason for this?

I was thinking of ; Keoma, Scalps, White Apache, Buddy Goes West and Jonathan of the Bears .[/quote]

Another one is 10 White Victims of the Little Indian, made in an amateurish way by Gianfranco Baldanello.
All the scenes with indians look ridiculous. The film has a few ambitious motives, but it’s all so badly done (even the acting by the leads is often bad) that the overall impression is a laughable one.

SWs with indians are mostly more or less disappointing.

Have you seen this film in English? Only version I know is old Italian tape which is fullscreen and very rare. This title “10 White Victims of the Little Indian” is also new to me, books refer to this film as “Blood River.”

Only a german version, probably uncut. Bruckner mentions both titles for english versions.

The film wasn’t released theatrically, but a few years ago dubbed for a TV showing.

Wow!..what a title…10 White Victims of the Little Indian.

Jonathan of the Bears has real Indians (sorry Native Americans), Floyd ‘Red Crow’ Westerman and Knifewing Segura are authentic. Also Winnetou’s Ruckkehr also featured Jimmy Herman whose a real Indian.

But all the other indians in Jonathan otB have definiteley an asian look. And don’t forget the russian birch forests! Ha, ha

But it looks better than the cheap SWs shot in the italian woods.

Well, I know this is streching it a bit but my favorite Indian in a Spaghetti is Marina Mulfatti in Black Killer.
This is one of my favorite “camp” Spaghettis. Kinski is droll and deadpan as frontier lawyer James Webb. I know most would disagree with me but this is my favorite of his performances in a Spaghetti.
But back to Indians…
For those of you who have seen Black Killer, you will know why Marina Mulfatti left such an impression.

THE SECRET OF CAPTAIN O’HARA, BUFFALO BILL, HERO OF THE FAR WEST are all Indians vs settlers and cavalry. Very American visually and in story.

My favorite is FURY OF THE APACHES with Frank Latimore. Early period Spanish/Italian Western by Jose Elorietta, 1965 I think. Great Aldo Sanbrell and Charley Bravo supporting roles.

Just finished watching QUINTO: FIGHTING PROUD (1969). The gang of bank robbers, has an indian called Navajo. As the film centres around a whodunnit with the gang members under suspicion from each other, Navajo gets a surprisingly large-ish part … and a scalp of course!

Franco & Ciccio western Due mafiosi nel Far West also has indians. In the begining they attack a stagecoach, later kidnap the two protagonists and finaly save them from a bandit gang led by Fernando Sancho. Indian tribe also has two moronic indian girls (Franco & Ciccio again), which works as film’s running joke.

Per Un Dollaro Di Gloria has Indians in it, also OUTIW has som Indians at the train station in the beginning.