Spaghetti & kung fu

Those spaghettis that were made in the seventies that was a mix between western and kung fu- film are pretty fun I think :slight_smile:

For example Fighting fist of Shanghai Joe that X Rated in Germany released, with among others Klaus Kinski, and Stranger and the Gunfighter starring Lee Van Cleef and Lo Lieh.

There are other films as well, have you seen any of these and what do you think?

RED SUN although not a kung -fu ,but a samurai. is my fav.i thought shanghai joe was pitiful.

It has been a long time since I have seen the mentioned films. I tought Shanghai Joe was ok. It has some nice squences because of the hired fighters that were sent after him.
We have a comoc book serie “Chinaman” that handles with a Chinese that came with his master to Amerika. It is also kung-Fu western but graphivally of course
[url]http://www.bedetheque.com/serie-72-BD-Chinaman.html[/url]

Stranger and te gunfighter I did not like much.

I didn’t like Stranger and Gunfighter that much either but I love Shanghai Joe. The whole film is just so entertaining and fun. Music is also one of my favorites even though it’s recycled from Have a Good Funeral…

I haven’t seen any other Kung fu spaghettis but Providenzia 2 has some kung fu fighting in the end.

There are also “Return of Shanghai Joe”, “Kung fu brothers in the wild west”, and “Karate fists and beans”, but I haven’t seen them yet.

Maybe there are even more kung fu-spaghettis?

Now I’ve also seen [color=brown][color=red]Karate fists and beans[/color][/color][url]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Storia_di_karatè%2C_pugni_e_fagioli[/url] and it was a pretty funny film :slight_smile:

It’s basically another 70’s comedy-SW, but with some kung fu-elements thrown in.

I enjoyed it, and I think it was much better than some of the Hill/ Spencer spaghettis I’ve seen, which I often find rather boring instead of funny.

I can’t believe why the Trinity-films became so popular ???

There was a movie kind of kung fu western(sadly never seen It) Billy Jack, any of you heard of IT?

There’s a Chow Yun Fat film called Peace Hotel that’s very similar in style to a spaghetti but is more of a Wong Kar Wai mod piece than an action movie.

Yes, I know of this film but haven’t seen it. But it’s not really a western, it takes place in a modern day setting in the american countryside.

Story is about a half-breed indian, who is also a martial arts-expert, who helps a community of people against some crooks.

also il blanco il giallo il nero, has this sw kungfu mix thing, tomas milian is than dressed up as some naif samurai. I also find it a bit shocking that on the german movie poster of shanghai joe says “der gelbe ist super”. in these movies the asian people are really steriotyped as idiots who only laufgh.
Im also not a big fan of the cross over I like sw and maybe kungfu movies are also nice(I never watched them) but it doent mean if you put these elements together that something nice comes out of it. I mean I like steak and I also like a milk shake, but it doesnt mean when I mix these two things that I like that I get something nice (a meat milkshake :smiley: ). I had more the idea that when these cross over movies were made that all variations on the sw were wearing out so they thought , wy not try this mix for a view movie lets see if they buy it.

“Il Bianco…” is more of a samurai-sw than kung fu-sw, but I like kung fu-sw’s.

Of course they were made because the producers wanted to come up with something new, the sw-genre had been running for several years, and also the kung fu-movies were very popular in the early 70’s.

It’s pretty inevitable I think that a few were made!

Btw, you don’t have to be shocked about “der gelbe ist super” he really is :wink:

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:4, topic:259”]I didn’t like Stranger and Gunfighter that much either but I love Shanghai Joe. The whole film is just so entertaining and fun. Music is also one of my favorites even though it’s recycled from Have a Good Funeral…

I haven’t seen any other Kung fu spaghettis but Providenzia 2 has some kung fu fighting in the end.[/quote]

i agree with you 100%

Margheriti was an excellent director but i thought his westerns were just “ok”

i thought it was the other way around with the music score.thank’s for enlighting me.

i tried to get hold of “billy jack” for years and when i finally saw it i thought it was shit.
i can’t believe they made a sequel!

Who else here thinks George Wang as the Gambling House owner in “Have a Good Funeral, Sartana Will Pay” is one of the all time underated SW Villains? I’m tempted to put him in my top 10 list.

Ok, maybe its just me haha

but a confuscious quoting gambling house operater who fans himself and poses as an invalid only to reveal himself as a kungfu master at the very end of the film (and who actually manages to give Sartana a good fight), I’d have to say he’s one of the coolest SW villains. Corny and stereotypical, but cool nonetheless.

[quote=“mrchallenge, post:14, topic:259”]Who else here thinks George Wang as the Gambling House owner in “Have a Good Funeral, Sartana Will Pay” is one of the all time underated SW Villains? I’m tempted to put him in my top 10 list.

Ok, maybe its just me haha

but a confuscious quoting gambling house operater who fans himself and poses as an invalid only to reveal himself as a kungfu master at the very end of the film (and who actually manages to give Sartana a good fight), I’d have to say he’s one of the coolest SW villains. Corny and stereotypical, but cool nonetheless.[/quote]
“I thought you were an invalid!”
"It’s only that I’m a lazy man"
Haha, that was brilliant. The first time I saw it, I applauded.

[quote=“Bad Lieutenant, post:15, topic:259”]“I thought you were an invalid!”
"It’s only that I’m a lazy man"
Haha, that was brilliant. The first time I saw it, I applauded.[/quote]

Me, too! I always thought George Wang was great in HAVE A NICE FUNERAL…and that scene is one of my favorites.

The Tiger from River Kwai is also one but I haven’t seen it. Take a Hard Ride also has some kung fu elements.

Viewed Karate, Fists and Beans.

Two bums have not eaten for a long time and spam their way into a a place run by monks, for the sole purpose of filling their bellies. All is not what it appears though and not long before are two heroes are joining up with one of the so called monks, on a job to rescue a bank manager’s daughter. A not so good cook soon joins the guys, who is a little better at karate than cooking.

Dean Reed sports a super big 70’s style haircut, while Huerta is his usual self. Their horse appears a bit more clever than the two at times. So called comedy Spaghetti westerns used to annoy me on the whole, and some still do for the simple reason I do not find some funny. However having accepted this I am more at ease with them and laugh at how funny they are not most of the time now.

I haven’t been able to finish that one… too bad. I haven’t seen Return of Shanghai Joe yet, therefore I can’t say which Karate-SW is the worst. Until now for me it is the Beans flick.

haven’t seen Fists & Beans yet, but Return of Shanghai Joe is pretty bad IMO