Son of Django / Il figlio di Django (Osvaldo Civirani, 1967)

Well I thought this was a pretty solid spaghet. Nothing profound here but Osvaldo Civirani does a great job making a very watchable spaghetti

Never heard of Civirani before. Will take a look at A Golden Sheriff and Tā€™ammazzo!.. Raccomandati a Dio

Noticed that Demofilo Fidani is listed under ā€œSet Decorationā€ - during the movie I thought it was like a Fidani but less boring moments

Run of the mill stuff to me, good Fidani is only mediocre spaghetti ā€¦

Enjoyed this one as I remember.

Of course I can see why its run of the mill for you- thereā€™s certainly not much depth to the story/characters and nothing particularly notable in the way of analysis.

Though for me, where it rises above the norm is in how the movie maintains a very watchable pace without inserting the usual boring and time filling scenes. The running time comes in just under 1.5 hours, which is great- a movie of this character should aim for as short a time possible IMO, as thereā€™s no need to extend anythingā€¦ just tell it straight and present a flow of the kinds of scenes we all came for without making us suffer through the boring filler. Son of Django does just that, and if you enjoy Fidani like westerns on their own terms, then I whole fistedly recommend this one.

Spaghettis come mostly in two flavors for me. Ones like Son of Django and then the higher standard fare like Leone. This makes for what I assume looks pretty odd when it comes to my ratings, as I can rate something like Son of Django highly and it may sit next to another film which is technically much better. But for me they are almost two different kinds of films and I do not watch them in the same way. Its like comparing a John Wayne film to a spaghetti- they occupy two different worlds and the comparison is not particularly useful.

As a last note, Son of Django features Guy Madison as a six shooter wielding priest, and this always serves for brownie points from me. Pretty cool that Wild East released this as a double feature with Reverendo Colt, also featuring Guy Madison as a anti-priest. Will have to pick that release up when I get a chance.

Getting a copy now, will be watching soon

[quote=ā€œautephex, post:24, topic:1369ā€]Of course I can see why its run of the mill for you- thereā€™s certainly not much depth to the story/characters and nothing particularly notable in the way of analysis.

Though for me, where it rises above the norm is in how the movie maintains a very watchable pace without inserting the usual boring and time filling scenes. The running time comes in just under 1.5 hours, which is great- a movie of this character should aim for as short a time possible IMO, as thereā€™s no need to extend anythingā€¦ just tell it straight and present a flow of the kinds of scenes we all came for without making us suffer through the boring filler. Son of Django does just that, and if you enjoy Fidani like westerns on their own terms, then I whole fistedly recommend this one.

Spaghettis come mostly in two flavors for me. Ones like Son of Django and then the higher standard fare like Leone. This makes for what I assume looks pretty odd when it comes to my ratings, as I can rate something like Son of Django highly and it may sit next to another film which is technically much better. But for me they are almost two different kinds of films and I do not watch them in the same way. Its like comparing a John Wayne film to a spaghetti- they occupy two different worlds and the comparison is not particularly useful.

As a last note, Son of Django features Guy Madison as a six shooter wielding priest, and this always serves for brownie points from me. Pretty cool that Wild East released this as a double feature with Reverendo Colt, also featuring Guy Madison as a anti-priest. Will have to pick that release up when I get a chance.

Getting a copy now, will be watching soon[/quote]

Oh, but I can enjoy a straightforward actioneer too, itā€™s not all about analysis for me.

Funny thing is I thought there were a few good ideas in it, but the film failed in telling a compelling story, I thought it was quite slow, while the action wasnā€™t very spectacular

I suppose Iā€™d have to watch it again to see if I still have the same impression, but the film opens with a classic duel in the street scenario and from this point on I remember a steady pacing of gun play, leading to the ending 20 minutes which is mostly all action and gunfights.

The story is not spectacular but is just there to move the film along.

While maybe not impressive in terms of sequences, the action is many times shot just how I like it: quick and direct. Most of my favorite westerns involve sudden bursts of action that donā€™t last long and there were several of these moments.

I watched it a year ago or so, I remember I didnā€™t like it, and thought it was because of the slow pace, but to be sure Iā€™d have to watch it again. Iā€™ll have to anyway, since I havenā€™t written a review of it yet.

No original ideas here neither really stylish film-making, but itā€™s an OK time-passer that had the potential to be a little better on a couple of things. 2.5/5 stars

I finally managed to concoct a review of this patchy movie:

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Son_of_Django_Review

Look here, I'm Django's son and Laura's husband

hahaā€¦ fair enough review as usual, scherp

all of a sudden he rides into a western town and a warm voice starts singing a catchy song called They called him Django.

But wait a minute ā€¦

The song goes like this: They called him Django, and he was a friend of mine.

A friend? Not your father?

The reason for this is that the song in that scene fades out at the ā€œdecisiveā€ moment.

Here is the full version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egMd8a9oXX8

Ah yes, he was my father, a man of high degree

I just saw a book that replicates that poster on its cover. Interesting.

Have to admit Iā€™m interested in this film after reading the thread. Where can a DVD/blu be had?

Djangoā€™s son runs off with Djangoā€™s wife and they all purchase machine guns. Well not really :smiley: , but remember when I first viewed this I wondered what the plot would be like.

Average Spaghetti, but still enjoyable enough for me, especially liked the Guy Madison character the best. Love the theme song :slight_smile: .

This wasnā€™t that bad, I found it to be an enjoyable revenge spaghetti western with a likeable Gabriele Tinti in the title role and a good turn from Guy Madison.

I liked this a lot! Simple but enjoyable with plenty of action towards the end.

This movieā€™s page in the SWDb has been updated to then new layout, please check it out. We welcome corrections and additions, such as facts, figures, links, texts, reviews or pictures material.

This one has now been updated with A NEW POLL to vote on at the top of the page under the original post. Please find it and share your rating with the community.

As usual, link to forum page has also been added / fixed, poster art added, and broken links removed. The original memberā€™s post is as intended, at the top section.

Any issues, please say.

1 Like