Something like Suspiria ...?

I watched Suspiria recently for the first time and was blown away. The cinematography was stunning. The death scenes were highly creative (the room with the coiled wire was brilliant). And generally, there was a certain style about the film that was strange and wonderful for me.

So can I ask for some recommendations on similar style and quality horror films? Maybe other Argento films? Maybe other European directors? I’d like some guidance from you experts.

Argento’s Deep Red for sure.

Maybe you’d like some Sergio Martino giallos too: All the Colors of the Dark, Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh…

Also, I don’t know if it’s really what you’re looking for but I’d like to recommend Aristide Massacesi’s (Joe D’amato) Death Smiles at Murder which is really weird atmospheric horror film.

Argento’s "Inferno"
Fulci’s “The Beyond”, “City of the living dead” and “House by the cemetery”.

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:2, topic:1188”]Argento’s Deep Red for sure.

Maybe you’d like some Sergio Martino giallos too: All the Colors of the Dark, Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh…

Also, I don’t know if it’s really what you’re looking for but I’d like to recommend Aristide Massacesi’s (Joe D’amato) Death Smiles at Murder which is really weird atmospheric horror film.[/quote]
I don’t think Deep Red or Strane vice… has got style similar to “Suspiria”. Havn’t seen “All the colors of the dark”. I agree about “Death smiles at muder”.

I felt the same way when i saw suspiria the first time jonti ,i would try The Beyond as alko recommended ,this is the closes film ive seen to capturing the atmosphere of suspiria.it was the fim which was recomended to me after i ranted about the genius of suspiria.you wont be dissapointed…but im afraid you’ve peaked :-\no horror film comes close to suspiria imo.

La Residencia by Narciso Ibanez Serrador. Spanish horror film from late 60s, quite surreal and similar in frequent use of strong colours. Some arque that Argento stole much of this film for his masterpiece - I don’t agree in that but Suspiria and Inferno are certainly “inspired” by Serrador’s film.

Inferno of course is the first to watch. Sequel to Suspiria and just as good in my oppinion.

The Witches (1990) feels the most like Suspiria to me… even though its not really a horror movie.

Trailer for the remake

I don’t know, I really don’t see any point in remaking Suspiria. Several shots look kind of interesting, but meh.

Terror (1978) is a mediocre supernatural horror inspired by Suspiria in terms of visual style.

I agree with you.

Tenebre (1982) is my favorite Argento film and in my top two giallos along with Torso.

There’s a dream-like feel to giallos in general and Argento’s movies particularly and, to me, many Italian movies as a whole, even westerns.

This might not be the best recommendation. But 1979’s Caligula has some fantastic shots utilizing color and some interesting cinematography to boot. The only thing I’d mention though is that there is GRATUITOUS nudity and full penetration throughout the film.

I only recommend it on it’s visual qualities, and not on any of the other “qualities” of the film. To quote somebody else:

The human being is a most curious animal. often ready to indulge himself in his base Inclinations, but frequently reluctant to trust his better Instincts. Surely people know, going in, that “Caligula” is worthless. Surely they know there are other movies in town that are infinitely better. Yet here they are at “Caligula.” It is very sad.