Silver Saddle / Sella d’argento (Lucio Fulci, 1978)

I watched this one 2 days ago on the Koch-media label.
I wasn’t expecting much because of a review I had read on another forum but the film was a pleasant surprise.
The child was a bit annoying though , but Its still Fulci’s best SW IMO.

Is the Koch Media version good?

Yes it has high picture quality and it’s uncut. I compared it with an old terrible release I own and the new one is worth every cent. I’ve never seen this movie in a better quality before. There are also two nice featurettes on the disc and English Audio.

IMO one of the last great SW!

I haven’t watched the featurettes yet. I like that kind of stuff!

Watched the other night and made two of my favorites - favorite Fulci western and favorite Gemma western. Gemma’s character kind of reminded me of his California performance, not so “smiley” like many of his other roles. Excellent film! I watched Silver Saddle in the midst of many Fulci gialli and it was quite a contrast

I must say the song got on my nerves, not because it was a bad song but because it was used too much. This is something I think a lot of spaghettis suffer from, playing a main theme too much. I watched Silver Saddle a couple nights ago and I still have the damn song stuck in my head.

Yes when viewing certain Italian films you get to learn the full lyrics to at least one song :smiley: .

I watched this one yesterday with my girl. Her two main points of criticism:

-The title song, and the endless repetition of it.

-The boy, especially his nasty dubbing voice and his pony ride.

Silver Saddle is a great movie, but those two points ruin the pleasure of watching it.

Maybe it’s tome for a recut or redub or both…

[quote=“Dillinger, post:27, topic:1241”]-The title song, and the endless repetition of it.[/quote]To me the song is one of the best points in the film. I love it.

I saw the movie some years ago and instantly hated that song. Then accidentally bought the soundtrack and it turned me over. It IS a great song and the soundtrack is one of the spaghetti western soundtracks I have put on the most.

I think some of the soundtrack (not the song) for the movie was borrowed from Get Mean.

Never noticed before but I think you have a point.

Watch the Koch DVD (great work) yesterday and see the movie for the second time.In the first 30 min. its good,but with the appearance of the boy it get badly.Not because of the boy,but his overacted representation.If he had been more taciturn,maybe like the young Roy Blood,that all would have been better,i think.
Not to mention the final scene.My chin falling down,at the past and today.
I like kids and ponys,but not in a Fulci western.
The song is still endurable,but if you watch the extras of the DVD,every menu starts with this boring music.When i take it back into the sleeve,i still had the melody in my head,albeit i dont like it.
Unfortunately it is not only a hard western,but a tearjerker,too.
You cant get everything !

Not of my favourite of the director re his westerns, re the points already stated in this thread. There are plenty of Spaghetti elements in this brew though, and the action is O.K. Nice to see Spaghetti regulars in the cast, and would have liked to have seen regular Clint co star Geoffrey Lewis in more than two Spaghetti westerns. I wonder if him and Clint discussed their Spaghetti experiences…

A review is now available:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Silver_Saddle_Review

A full English language DVD Review (Koch) with screenshots soon to follow

Well done (as always!) Sherp. Thanks also for the comparisons to other SW. At the Whip Scene I was also thinking of Massacre Time. IMO the scene with the explosive material (whatever this might be?) could be a reference to Rio Bravo. :slight_smile:

Quite right, didn’t think of that !

I guess there are even more references to other movies, Fulci and Gemma were well aware of the fact this was a goodbye and were taking the idea seriously

Very interesting review!

This scene rather reminded me of Mac Gyver!

I love the fact Gemma uses ‘carbide’ to blow them up, instead of the usual dynamite or something.

HiHi me too. With a chewing gum and a cord he would have constructed a little atomic bomb. :smiley:

The nasty little boy is ubelievably accurate in throwing the bombs.

The schmaltz cripples this one - it’s like two films spliced together, a gritty revenge Western for adults and a maudlin About a Boy-style bonding yarn. Badly misjudged.