Shoot in Any Direction … / Fist of Guanto

Wow. Very well made and I agree, that is an excellent title.

You guys need to understand what this sort of feedback, specifically from spaghetti western enthusiasts, means to us. Thank you is not enough.

Nice! I do think you went a little overboard with color grading though.

Hey thanks.

Interesting secondary comment. While we assuredly introduced a bit more grain, lines, damage and color burns for more of a grindhouse effect exclusively for the trailer here… the segments in the trailer that are mostly void of those elements (like during dialog) is the exact look and feel we were going for. It’s actually one of the things we universally felt we were the most successful at in our humble attempts to emulate the genre. For what it’s worth.

I got the Youtube email notification last night from your channel and, even though I was looking on my phone screen, I could tell it was good stuff! I’m real excited for the final product, keep up the great work! Also, are there any specific trailers you’re using as a reference for yours?

Guanto, it looks absolutely fantastic, I’m speechless. Now I actually want to see the film. :slight_smile:

Wow I needed this lovefest more than you know - I’ve been deep in the trenches for a very long time on this.

I think I watched every Spag trailer ever made, not kidding. Then we switched to 70’s b-movie horror and finally ended up watching the Tarantino/Rodriguez grindhouse fake trailers on loop for what felt like a week straight.

Thanks guys!

The Italian title would be:

Spara in ogni direzione … e tu colpirai un bastardo!

Sounds great

I put up a link to the trailer on my facebook page.

Is the movie available already?

I put up a link to the trailer on my facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/simon.gelten/posts/10206107939610890 Is the movie available already?

The friendly promotion is both unexpected and so appreciated!

Still editing the film as we speak. It’s a short that we hope will fuel a feature.

Spara in ogni direzione ... e tu colpirai un bastardo!

Now that’s cool.

Nice trailer…

did u use any special effects in this movie or every scene is natural?

No CGI if that is what you mean. 100% practical effects.

Great reactions so far on my Facebook page as well:

Adrian McAllister The Lo-Fi audio and dubbing give it an authentic Spaghetti feel and the title is great ! smile-emoticon
Vind ik niet meer leuk · Beantwoorden · 2 · 20 uur

Chris Keller Well done!
Vind ik leuk · Beantwoorden · 19 uur

John Crummett Love it.
Vind ik leuk · Beantwoorden · 16 uur

Niclas Bäckar Too clean and digital look, IMO - otherwise it looks pretty cool
Vind ik leuk · Beantwoorden · 1 · 16 uur

Adrian McAllister heeft gereageerd · 1 antwoord

Simon Griffin Looks great…love the authentic voice over artist they have used…for a moment I thought they had used the soundtrack to the Death Rides a Horse trailer.
Vind ik leuk · Beantwoorden · 1 ·

Well that is just overwhelming.

Grazie!

I love it, Guanto! It’s a beaming, unabashed declaration of love. Every flaw - be they intentional touches or the products of budgetary limitation - is an asset here. A charm. It’s funny - silly, even - but it’s not gurning at the audience or sneering at its source inspiration. It greets the viewer with a sappy grin across its face and the viewer can’t help but shoot a sappy grin right back. It’s not going to change the world - the world will barely notice in all probability, being as it is too preoccupied with One Shitty Direction or Kanye “Genuinely less charismatic than a bumshit I ejected out of my plophole this morning” West - but, then again, the same can be said for my SpongeBob SquarePants jim-jams and I fucking ADORE those.

Remember to inexplicably change the name of one of the major characters after you’ve completed principal photography though, so’s you can badly dub that new name into the final mix. “Keep away from me, Stan Francisco SARTANA…!”. :slight_smile:

I’ve taken the passion of your response here and pumped it into 3 years of my life for a 13 minute short. Can Harry fucking Styles say that!? Oh wait… he wouldn’t admit it if he could… and if he could we couldn’t hear his muffled shouts through the wall of cash in front of his face… but you get my point.

One thing you’ve touched upon reminded me of something a well spoken columnist recently wrote “[This movie has] stuff that you might find funny but the characters wont.” Ain’t it the truth, as long as the particular spaghetti western universe we are imbibing in takes itself deadly serious, everything else just works.

And you are right, relatively speaking no one will see this little labor of love that speaks to the smallest film niche ever… but I am glad you will.

Thank you so much man.

p.s.
Love the name replacement idea - almost seems like a no-brainer now that you mentioned it - in fact “just” the name should even by over-overdubbed by an additional voice actor and sound really out of place. Thanks a lot, now my ridiculous list of spaghetti tropes to hit is even more cumbrous, lets hope for a feature some day :wink:

At first I was thinking, “Only 13 minutes?!? Whyyyyyyy, this looks so good!”

But then I realized I’ll probably spend an hour watching it on loop; after all I killed my phone battery checking out the trailer and must have watched the gun flip short 10 times in a row when that came out ;D

If this ever comes up for a kickstarter for a full feature or a physical release, you can take my money. And, if it’s possible I can get a physical release of either cut, there’s a spot saved between “Sartana’s Here, Trade Your Pistols for a Coffin/Django Against Sartana” and “The Stranger Collection”!

As Fred Rogers used to say, upon reading your battery burning comments, it’s such a good feeling. And what an awesome visual of your bookshelf.

JP the idea was just to generate some intere$t from the short to produce the feature I’ve written (“Fist of Guanto”) - but this little project took on a life of its own and though it is definitely style over substance (it was originally just meant as a test) we ended up putting a lot of love into it. It’s consumed my life for a long time now, as you know. In fact I should go dig through the archives and see when it was I started asking about squibs here, feels like it was a lifetime ago.

Yeah, I remember those squib discussions! Must have been a year ago, at least! I am, like many here, are not only looking forward to the short but also the future of this project!
A question, did you ever have any of the cast speak another language and dub them over in English?

Right!?

English being the casts primary (ahem… well only… ahem) language we went the Clint Eastwood/LVC/JPL/Eli Wallach route and said the lines in English and then dubbed them “against themselves” so to speak in English (a process known as ADR). This was also the case for the majority of the cast in OUaTitW for what its worth (English dubbing English). To our delight it still ended up being very effective/surreal (not unlike the lines run in the films by the aforementioned actors). Should be much more evident when you see the short and get more than 3 seconds of dialog :slight_smile:

I am, like many here, are not only looking forward to the short but also the future of this project!

It’s a pipe dream and a crap shoot beyond the short… but if you guys keep spreading the word who knows.