Share your convention/celebrity experiences

Do you ever go to fan conventions. Who have you met?

Have you ever had a run in with a celeb?

Which ones were nice? Which ones were dicks?

Well, I go to comic conventions and probably the most famouse person I met in the comics world was Dave Gibson (he drew “Watchmen”, one of his lesser works, in my opinion) and got him to sign this comic cover:

He seemed to be a pretty nice guy.

Nice one. I’ve never met any celebrities but my dad met quite a view as a reporter for a hong kong news channel. He said that Robert Stack and Christopher Lee were complete gentleman. Very nice and civl. Elke Sommer on the other hand was a complete diva.

I’ve already mentioned the story about my Mom and seeing Vincent Price here in Seattle.

She used to work for a medical center here in Seattle than had great many of actor patients. She even spotted Farley Granger there. Her doctor boss was good friends with John Wayne as well.

I don’t generally approach famous people as I find it weird. If I got introduced to someone popular via a mutual friend it would be different. You never know what you’re going to get when you approach these people & I would not react well if they were rude.

I drank a beer with Tom Tykwer and a coffee with Dominik Graf. Both happen to be the best German film directors of the last 15 or 20 years. (Tykwer maybe not anymore, but let’s wait for his next film which will be a smaller production and maybe a comeback to the themes, style, quality of his early works)

Both have a lot of insightful things to say about their works without being vain. Great fun

Held the door open for Ingrid Pitt once, who gave me a nice smile and thanks.

Had a conversation with Dave Prouse (the man behind the mask of Darth Vader in the first three Star Wars films) at a convention. Talked about some photoghraphs he was selling and how people at this event seemed a little on the smelly side. Only knew it was Dave Prouse when someone told me :o .

Bumped into Ken Foree (from Dawn of The Dead) going into a toilet at another convention. He is one tall dude. Looked at me as though he wanted to kill me…the effect I have on people you see :smiley: .

[quote=“ENNIOO, post:7, topic:2065”]Held the door open for Ingrid Pitt once, who gave me a nice smile and thanks.

Had a conversation with Dave Prouse (the man behind the mask of Darth Vader in the first three Star Wars films) at a convention. Talked about some photoghraphs he was selling and how people at this event seemed a little on the smelly side. Only knew it was Dave Prouse when someone told me :o .

Bumped into Ken Foree (from Dawn of The Dead) going into a toilet at another convention. He is one tall dude. Looked at me as though he wanted to kill me…the effect I have on people you see :smiley: .[/quote]you must have gone to some of the same conventions as me ennio!we could have been there at the same time, i’d have known you that grey beard is unmistakable! i’ve met Ingrid Pitt twice, also Dave Prowse,Clive Barker, and i once nearly knocked over Christopher Timothy (from all creatures great and small)on a cambridge street when he stepped out right in front of my bike! burke!

ive met RZA from the Wu Tang Clan after a concert once…also Ive met harry knowles of aintitcool.com if he counts as a celeb

Interesting.
My experience with Elke Sommer was completely opposite. Almost uncomfortably so!
She was actually almost too nice and affectionate when I met her! I got way too many hugs and kisses from her. Of course, truth be told, if she had looked like she did in the 60’s when I met her…I wouldn’t have cared one bit! ha ha! Terrible for me to say that, I know…

I encountered Robert Stack many years ago when he was doing an appearance for UNSOLVED MYSTERIES in Oklahoma. As my girlfriend and I approached him, he held up his hands and in a stern voice that was as close to yelling as it could be without actually yelling said: “I am here to work not socialize. Leave me alone!”.

This just proves that celebrities are just people like the rest of us. They have their good days and their bad days. Some days they are divas and gentlemen, others not so much.

I have luckily been blessed with many opportunities to meet and work with a vast number of celebrities from the film and music industries throughout my life. I don’t know if I could really make a complete list.
But, I can safely say with the exceptions of Robert Stack, Wilfred Brimley, and maybe one or two others—they have all been wonderful, warm people, for the most part and my experiences have been very pleasurable. In some cases I have made long lasting friendships from these encounters.

Standout experiences, for me include meeting Aldo Sanbrell, LQ Jones, Henry Darrow, Enzo Castellari and his son Andrea Girolami, Powers Boothe, David McCallum, Jane Russell, David Carradine (whom I really miss), Joe Strummer, Chrissie Hynde, Dan van Husen, Nicoletta Machiavelli, Michael Biehn, Joanna Pacula, Mariette Hartley, Barbara Luna, Linda Cristal, and so many more.

I don’t know if you can say that I actually “met” him, but I have seen Clint Eastwood in person twice.
The first time was when he was in Austin, TX during the time they were shooting A PERFECT WORLD.
I saw him in a hotel. I said, “Hello, Mr. Eastwood. How are you?”. He said, “Doing fine. How are you?”. “Great”, I replied. “Good”, he said, then he was gone. The whole time he had the friendliest smile on his face.
The second Eastwood encounter was when he zipped passed me on the sidewalk outside of the hotel in Beverly Hills where they were holding the Golden Boot Awards. Again, he was smiling and seemed to be in a pleasant mood; but, no words were exchanged.

Like I said, I have been extremely lucky!

PS= I once nearly stepped on and/or knocked over Mickey Rooney at the Golden Boot Awards in 2004!

1 Like

that is awesome…meeting clint would be so cool

1 Like

[quote=“Chris_Casey, post:10, topic:2065”]Interesting.
My experience with Elke Sommer was completely opposite. Almost uncomfortably so!
She was actually almost too nice and affectionate when I met her! I got way too many hugs and kisses from her. Of course, truth be told, if she had looked like she did in the 60’s when I met her…I wouldn’t have cared one bit! ha ha! Terrible for me to say that, I know…

I encountered Robert Stack many years ago when he was doing an appearance for UNSOLVED MYSTERIES in Oklahoma. As my girlfriend and I approached him, he held up his hands and in a stern voice that was as close to yelling as it could be without actually yelling said: “I am here to work not socialize. Leave me alone!”.

This just proves that celebrities are just people like the rest of us. They have their good days and their bad days. Some days they are divas and gentlemen, others not so much.[/quote]

Yeah you are so lucky man, I even noticed you had nicoletta macchiavelli on your facebook friends LOL.

My dad met those people during the early 70s so perhaps people change with time as well. I think alot of times when a fan complains that a celebrity was rude to them it is actually the fan who instigated that response by being overbearing. I haven’t met any celebrities but I imagine that if I ever do, I would treat them like human beings instead of just well…“celebrities”.

I remember Linda Cristal from Mr. Majestyk!

Mickey Rooney seems to have amassed a notorious rep with interactions with the fans though.

The closest I’ve been is sharing the same plane with Joan Jett and the Blackhearts. :slight_smile:

So I don’t know what she’s like in person but she looks as good as she ever did…yowsa!

To quote a line from INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS: “That’s a BINGO!”!

[quote=“Pacificador, post:13, topic:2065”]The closest I’ve been is sharing the same plane with Joan Jett and the Blackhearts. :slight_smile:

So I don’t know what she’s like in person but she looks as good as she ever did…yowsa![/quote]

I was in a band that opened for Joan Jett & The Blackhearts in the 80’s! She is, or was, a very nice person, actually.
Liked her sense of humor.

Agreed, when TWELVE MONKEYS wrapped up shooting in Baltimore i was working the door at a little dockside bar when Bruce Willis showed up. Just gave him a ‘How’s it goin’’ on the way in and a ‘See ya later’ on the way out. He was perfectly cool and nice to everyone, no one bugged him.

Yes …we may have been at the same convention :wink: .

I’ve had the pleasure of meeting the Reverend Danite on a few occasions. Even had him sleeping on my couch once. He’s often more sober in real life than you’d expect.

What a lucky guy you are. I would’ve loved to meet the Rev too.

I’d think Rev would be the type of guy you…experience more than meet! ;D

I’ve always heard that Eastwood is an extremely nice man. For me, I often hold people’s political views against them at times. One of my faults. But Eastwood, a Republican, sounded so gractious in his acceptance of Obama as his president. And don’t worry guys, if any of you are Republicans, I won’t hold it against you. :smiley:

@Chris:
Where did you meet Machiavelli? I know she works here in Seattle at the University.