Shango / Shango, la pistola infallibile (Edoardo Mulargia, 1970)

[quote=“Stanton, post:93, topic:509”]If it does not hurt …[/quote]Oh, I’ll make it hurt.

Which will make us stronger …

(but I don’t know at the moment who is us)

Disappointing SW, but at the same time with a certain indefinable appeal.

The really bizarre final sequence certainly deserves attention: absolute narrative delirium or hidden authorial ambitions?

I rewatched this one yesterday from Koch dvd. It was better than I remembered, Mulargia creates some moody and sad atmosphere especially in the great title sequence. Too bad that the script is weak like mentioned already few times, there’s too many unanswered questions in the end, why major don’t want to anyone know the war is over, what about the gold, why major doesn’t kill shango when he has a chance? -except if the answer is that the major was just insane. :slight_smile:

Action scenes were pretty well made and Steffen makes his famous dive and shoot act more than once.

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:104, topic:509”]I rewatched this one yesterday from Koch dvd. It was better than I remembered, Mulargia creates some moody and sad atmosphere especially in the great title sequence. Too bad that the script is weak like mentioned already few times, there’s too many unanswered questions in the end, why major don’t want to anyone know the war is over, what about the gold, why major doesn’t kill shango when he has a chance? -except if the answer is that the major was just insane. :slight_smile:

Action scenes were pretty well made and Steffen makes his famous dive and shoot act more than once.[/quote]

Like in footbal: a good diver is a mighty weapon! Germany had Klinsmann, we have Arjen Robben, some people say that the Arjen Rob is the most interesting development in this field since the Fosbery Flop

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:104, topic:509”]I rewatched this one yesterday from Koch dvd. It was better than I remembered, Mulargia creates some moody and sad atmosphere especially in the great title sequence. Too bad that the script is weak like mentioned already few times, there’s too many unanswered questions in the end, why major don’t want to anyone know the war is over, what about the gold, why major doesn’t kill shango when he has a chance? -except if the answer is that the major was just insane. :slight_smile:

Action scenes were pretty well made and Steffen makes his famous dive and shoot act more than once.[/quote]

Insane for sure.

I rewatched this one: Besides the great cast and the good opening sequence - to me Shango is a disappointment. Taken all in all the entire plot and the autumnal middle-european landscape do not fit together - that ruins the complete atmosphere of that IW. Below average IMO. Obviously so far Mulargia is not my cup of tea - but thanks to B…, I still have a copy of the recommended El Puro to watch.

Just watched this. Grim and serious stuff, but I found it very enjoyable. Very Spag (in the good way), what with entire lines of people going down acrobatically to a “six” shooter as though they’re under heavy machine gun fire. I find Anthony Steffen to be extremely uncharismatic for a leading man and, although he was pretty wooden here too, it seemed a better fit for the role (actually I really like Steffen in another Mulargia pic, W. Django!). Some fantastic set pieces in here too: shooting the bad guys out of the trees, Steffen hanging in his cage at the start, the women buried up to their necks and surrounded by fire… oh, and the main antagonist (checks his name) Eduardo Fajardo was very good indeed.

One of the spaghs I haven’t seen yet. Looks like one I would/could like. Not a fan of Steffen either, that’s why there are quite a few Steffen movies among the spaghs I haven’t seen yet. I don’t hate him (if I would say so my good friend Chris Casey would be very dissapointed, he hates people who hate Steffen!), but i just don’t like him as much as the other spaghetti western regulars.

Well worth a look, I reckon. It’s the third film I’ve seen helmed by Edoardo Mulargia and I’ve liked them all (this, W Django! and the utterly fantastic El Puro). I’ve got Go With God, Gringo tucked in one of my value Spag sets somewhere, that’s just jumped to the front of the “To Watch” queue.

Like most people here, I was a bit puzzled by this movie
It took me two viewings and a lot of rewritings to get any ‘grip’ on the movie

[size=12pt]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Shango_Review_(Scherpschutter)[/size]

New addition over at CG…

Cheers auteprex. That print looks awesome.

Cheers, great stuff :slight_smile: .

If you already have a copy, here is the custom English subtitles I created for the extra featurette- Dead Man, Shango. Even if you already downloaded, you may want to get this as I corrected some errors and fixed some poor translation I missed the first time around (SRT subtitle file - to use, just make sure it has the same name as your video file):

And here is a link to just the synced English dub (AC3) which you can add yourself if you already have the film:
[url=http://www.mediafire.com/?6p717n9vld27p5c]File sharing and storage made simple

You can use mkvmergeGUI to add the AC3 file into the mkv video file:
[url=http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MKVtoolnix]http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MKVtoolnix[url]http://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtitles/5809590/shango-la-pistola-infallibile-en[/url]

You can also use this program to add the subtitle file to the extra featurette, if wanted.

Adding audio track to DVD is a bit complicated.

Thought I had viewed this one, but had just viewed the opening credits. What an opening as I remember it well. Had the Franco Cleef dvd r for many moons, but looking in my watch pile I had the Koch dvd which someone has added the english audio. I can understand why Koch does not have english audio ( when available ) on all their releases, but someone is only going to add the audio down the line.

Anyway what a great print ! As said the opening is just great to this one, in a film where the plot at first does not seem the greatest. But as the film moves along, its one of those plots for me that starts in the middle and works its way to the start and end, when it suits the film. The main stars our on fine form, and really like the look to the film, which creates the Spaghetti feel real good. Its these reasons that help me forget about the the way the story is told.

Just watched this for the first time. I enjoyed it but felt a bit confused by the undeveloped plot lines such as the mystery of the gold, and the ending took an unexpected direction. Took a while for Steffen to say anything, but his performance improved after he’d had something to eat and drink! :grinning:

1 Like

Ha, ha :smiley:

Although I’ve never been a big fan of Anthony Steffen, I do enjoy ‘Shango’. Not a bad story-line, with several ever-dependable actors such as Eduardo Fajardo, and Spartaco Conversi.
The cinematography is good, as is the music score, by Gianfranco Di Stefano.

I took the chance to watch this film, and I agree with some of the others here that it’s not a fantastic film, but it’s entertaining enough. The locations were nice to look at, and were much better than the tired Spanish desert and Italian Cinecitta sets. In fact they reminded me a lot of Una Lunga Fila di Croce. I was surprised to see that Steffan actually wrote the screenplay, but it makes sense to me now, as the film features him heavily and offers a little more acting for him. His character seems to have gone near feral after being locked in the cage, and it’s interesting to see Steffan stuffing food into his moutb like a hungry animal. I found the ending with Farajdo’s character going mad and hallucinating to be a unique idea, but executed poorly. Others here stated that he was schizophrenic, but I disagree, I’m sure it was the mental breakdown of losing a war and his failure to accept that this lost cause that drove him to his current state.

One really neat little part was when Steffan’s character is hiding in the cave with the Mexicans while being pursued by Farado’s thugs. One of the thugs seems to notice Steffan in plain site, as the guard walks over to him, Steffan turns to face him and a Sombreo obstructs our view of him. When the thug finally reaches Steffan it turns out it’s just another Mexican. It took me a few times to figure out how it was done all in one shot, but after ahwhile I could see that after the sombreo covers Steffan, (which is actually not being worn by him, but rather held in front of the camera by someone off screen) he walks away and the Mexican character trades places with him. I just really liked that little scene and found it to be very inventive.

1 Like