Shango / Shango, la pistola infallibile (Edoardo Mulargia, 1970)

You always underestimate me :wink:

There are even 2 Steffen films which get a 4/5. (Guess which…)

[quote=“Stanton, post:61, topic:509”]You always underestimate me :wink:

There are even 2 Steffen films which get a 4/5. (Guess which…)[/quote]

Okay give me a moment to think here…

Killer Kid and Train for Durango? (both get 2/5 for me)

This one was OK, but surely none of the best Steffen flicks. First of all I watched the trailer, that promised a nice dusty flick, but the movie itself was pretty lame.

The story didn’t develop straightly, it took quite a while until I got into it. I didn’t knew, who fought on which side and why they were doing all that.

Not seen that many of his films but Arriva Sabata and Some Dollars For Django are my favorite Steffen films this far.

[quote=“Col. Douglas Mortimer, post:62, topic:509”]Okay give me a moment to think here…

Killer Kid and Train for Durango? (both get 2/5 for me)[/quote]

He he, not bad. Half of the harvest.

Durango, yes, and of course Django the Bastard

[quote=“Stanton, post:65, topic:509”]He he, not bad. Half of the harvest.

Durango, yes, and of course Django the Bastard[/quote]

You actually like Django the bastard? Hey hey we’re brothers after all haha.

I never had a doubt about it …

Having a look at the new DVD’s images I thought it would be as great as Django the Bastard, because the images show a Steffen looking like Django. Maybe that’s why I was a bit disappointed…

I was hoping Shango wasn’t like Django il Bastard, thats why I was pleasantly surprised. I like Mulgarias direction in all his westerns.

I didn’t want it to be the same, but with a comparable atmosphere.

My database comment:

In its better moments this film is as exhausted and bewildered as its characters, in its weaker moments it’s only a series of unsatisfying shoot-outs, in which Steffen fools and shoots his enemies by the dozen in too typical SW manner. Apart from the wrongly directed action scenes, Mulargia delivers beautifully and inspired staged pictures, but the ill-conceived script (co-written by Steffen and the director) fails to create the necessary tension between the characters. Shango has a great beginning and a good ending, but no middle.

[quote=“Stanton, post:71, topic:509”]My database comment:

In its better moments this film is as exhausted and bewildered as its characters, in its weaker moments it’s only a series of unsatisfying shoot-outs, in which Steffen fools and shoots his enemies by the dozen in too typical SW manner. Apart from the wrongly directed action scenes, Mulargia delivers beautifully and inspired staged pictures, but the ill-conceived script (co-written by Steffen and the director) fails to create the necessary tension between the characters. Shango has a great beginning and a good ending, but no middle.[/quote]

Very good comment ! Shango definitely has its weaknesses. But the atmosphere is ok and compensates for the lack of tension. My rating 6 / 10.
The bad script are very often the problem of the “Western Mulgaria”. And the low budget.

There is ONE really great moment in this one. usually we know Steffan as the wooden soandso, but in one certain shootout he has this really manicly crazy laugh in his face.

Truly unusual. Truly great!

Rewatched this movie last night. I must say I didn’t like the German dubbing very much, so I switched to Italian dubb with English subs which was much more enjoyable. Shango is an extremely low budget flic and you shouldn’t expect too much but it has its moments. I especially liked the beginning (Shango captured in a cage) and the autumnal scenery (while we never get to see the vast desert that is talked about). The rest is pretty much routine stuff and could’ve been handled better in some places. Steffen is doing alright, his acting abilities quite fit the role.

Why not German subs?

I just like it that way…

One thing interesting is that the creepy looking posters and lobby cards make it look like a horror tinged western, but its not.

Less a horror tinged western, but more surreal. Especially the beginning.

This films doesn’t work for me because of several inconsistencies. “Redirect that fire!” ::), the fiesta after such a bloodshed etc.
BTW, the photos from the gallery on Koch disc are not from this film. I could provide them with ex-yugoslav poster but they didn’t be interested :-[ .
[url]http://img136.imageshack.us/i/sangonepromasivi746205x.jpg/[/url]

[quote=“djvaso, post:79, topic:509”]This films doesn’t work for me because of several inconsistencies. “Redirect that fire!” ::), the fiesta after such a bloodshed etc.
BTW, the photos from the gallery on Koch disc are not from this film. I could provide them with ex-yugoslav poster but they didn’t be interested :-[ .[/quote]

Yes, these are photos of Django the Bastard. Are the German official press photos of Shango. Someone had made a big mistake. :o
But the DVD is good.