Seven Winchesters for a Massacre / 7 Winchester per un massacro (Enzo G. Castellari, 1967)

is repeated the music but never gets boring

;D

I would say previously underrated… :slight_smile:

My rating: 2,75 out of 5.

[hr]

Talking of locations: in Spring 1964 Torre di Chia (Viterbo) was also filming location of Il Vangelo secondo Matteo; later - to be more precise in Autumn 1970 - its director Pier Paolo Pasolini (actor in Requiescant), enamoured by that place, bought, restored and inhabited the castle.

http://www.canino.info/inserti/tuscia/luoghi/chia/[/url]

[url]http://www.canino.info/inserti/tuscia/luoghi/chia/

1 Like

It is interesting to note that the Tower of Chia is not far from the arcane Garden of Bomarzo complex…

I decided to watch this one again and enjoyed it as much as I did the first time. I love Castellari’s spaghettis.

I’ve that face more than once, including “Castle of the Living Dead”, 1964.

Watched the recently released “Italo Western Edition” / VZ-Handelsgesellschaft mbH DVD last week. Titled Die Satansbrut des Colonel Blake (“The Satan’s Brood of Colonel Blake”), it presents the familiar patchwork version, in circulation for a long time: German and English audio, German and English subtitles for the originally missing parts (French audio), 93 minutes (PAL). – Disappointing, was hoping for a better presentation of this in parts fine film.

The French DVD is excellent, but has no English audo (nor English subs)

Thanks for the information! Does it have Italian audio and French subtitles?

I think so, but I’ll have to check (where is the damn DVD?)

Prefer the cut version on my old Fletcher tape. The extra dialogue just makes the introduction longer, which was already long enough.

1 Like

Thank you!

Yes I agree.

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: Seven Winchesters for a Massacre / 7 Winchester per un massacro (Enzo G. Castellari, 1967)

Well Ed Byrnes is more suited in Any Gun Can Play than this one. Viewed the Wild East disc and some of the scenes that never had english audio, do not help the film much. One scene where Ed Byrnes was being helped having a wash by a man was a bit different for the time ! And that scene just did not work on any level. Madison was ok, in a film with many standard scenes. Was expecting better, with the director trying to inject humour amongst the killing and it does not sit right with the film. So we get a film of uneven tone.

I like the film quite a bit but the extra scenes on the Wild East disc annoy me. That’s why I watch the VHS instead.

This film’s page in the database has been updated to the new layout. Please inform us of necessary corrections, and especially, we welcome pictures, reviews, links, facts, trivia, etc.

1 Like

Rewatching this in peparation for a podcast with @TheSwede … holds up nicely

There is a longer bit 5min before the end that on the Wild East DVD is in French, because they obviously had cut it out as it breaks the flow. But as it is now, the cutting to that French sequence seems off… I wonder if they re-inserted it at the right moment? Now it’s like completely in the middle of the climax… even though the sequence obviously explains all the riled up townsfolk storming the cave… just puzzled by the editing here

There are 2 versions of this on You Tube

1. Payment in Blood 90m34s

English version- sounds as if Brynes and Madison are dubbing their own dialogue. This appears to be the same version at the WE DVD but the French dialogue scenes - mostly involving the French butler - don’t have subtitles

1. Sette Winchester per un Massacre 93m44s

Italian version but the French scenes are still French! It runs the same speed as Payment in Blood so there is 3m of extra footage. I found most but not all of it as the trims were quite short.

The extra 3m is inconsequential but quite interesting.

(A) in the stage that Kookie boards there is an overweight elderly woman. Almost all of her footage has been cut from the English print - probably because she is doing comedy overacting. Especially her exit from the stage in the town which is totally snipped.

(B) After Kookie talks to the sheriff in the hotel bedroom, a scene between the butler and the lady owner has been cut from the English print. This refers to the butler ordering Agua Caliente (Hot Water) for Kookie in what I guess is a joke reference to For a Few Dollars More.

(C) Just after Kookie and Manuela split the reward money, an epilogue scene in the town between the butler and the saloon owner has been cut from the English print. There is now a sign above The saloon advertising French cuisine and the butler gets berated by the owner whom we assume is now his partner.

(D) The reward money scene is slightly longer in the Italian scene - there is a shot of Kookie winking which is missing from the English print. Also more dialogue. The epilogue of the two riding off also has more dialogue in the Italian print and I think a couple of extra shots. As there ride off there is a song on the soundtrack in the Italian print but instrumental only in the English print.