Seven Winchesters for a Massacre / 7 Winchester per un massacro (Enzo G. Castellari, 1967)

23 posts were merged into an existing topic: Seven Winchesters for a Massacre / 7 Winchester per un massacro (Enzo G. Castellari, 1967), Second Thread

I just watched this one on the WE label.
Its average at best and Ed Byrnes sure isn’t my cup of tea as a lead man.

2/5 stars.

Nono, this is a really good one! Very confusing start, but after that it´s solid stuff. To quote the swedish vhs release: “a very hard and tough western for all lovers of westernmovies with among others Guy Madison and others.”

Decent, but not excellent.
Fabulous score, solid action scenes, and some great moments that don’t add up to as fine a film as I hoped they would. It’s pretty uneven, one minute all hardboiled and tough, and the next they’re torturing a guy by tickling his feet.
Still, it has enough spaghetti flavor to be worth watching again.

I don’t think he was exactly Castellari’s brand of cappuccino either - he wanted Robert Redford.

That’s the spaghetti flavour right there! So many of the mid-ranking titles have the same inconsistencies. Plus, of course, Castellari was still finding his feet (as well as tickling them) as a director.

Looking forward to viewing this again now that I have the WE disc; it’s been years.

I like it,especially the introduce of the gang members.
For me 3/5,over average

If I get some days an uncut copy, I’ll maybe rewatch it. But up to this day it gets only a 1/5 from me, as it was a boring film, suffering from the cheapness and the lousy directing.

And here is btw an already existing thread for this “masterpiece”:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,161.0.html

Now the great merger is asked to do his job …

[quote=“Stanton, post:6, topic:1752”]And here is btw an already existing thread for this “masterpiece”:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,161.0.html

Now the great merger is asked to do his job …[/quote]
Before I made this thread I made a search on both “Payment in blood” and on “Sette winchester per un massacro” and came up whith nothing.
Anyway the threads should of course be merged togheter.

He he “Seven Winchesters” is the winner in the search contest.

A bit confusing, I have “Payment in blood” starring Donal’O’brien and Jeff Cameron…

I always confuse this movie with Caiano’s Sette Pistole per un Massacro. They have almost the same title, both are made in '68 and both have De Masi scores.

Screenshots of the new German MegaMax Movies DVD.
The company Mega Max Movies is relatively new on the market. And this is the first spaghetti western.
The DVD is uncut, has German and English audio (missing scenes with subtitles). The packaging is identical to the DVD’s of New Entertainment or Simple Movie (small hardcover boxes).

Question: is the picture quality identical to the Wild East disc?

screenshot from WE disc

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:23, topic:165”]screenshot from WE disc

[/quote]

Yes, it looks as if it was the same picture quality.
Thanks for the screenshot, Bill. :wink:

The soundtrack is by far the best element in this movie. Excellent theme used really well.
As for the rest? Well, it’s typical Castellari fare of the crash, bang, kablooey style. Nowhere near his best but entertaining enough in a chewing gum for the senses kind of way. A middle of the road, 3 star movie. My daughter and I had some fun with it but it won’t be making her top 20 list any more than it will make mine. Actually the trailer sums it up really well when it says in banner headlines something like:

Action! Blood! Blood! Action!
Payment in Blood…Big Action!

;D

I like the music too but I think the main theme is repeated too often in the film

Incidentally, the soundtrack has 13 parts.
These parts are available as extras on the Mega Maxx Movie DVD.
Although you’re right, Bill. The main theme is very often.

But, the soundtrack is very good.
Much better than the film. I’m not a fan of the films of Castellari.
I think his movies are too much of action sequences. And many stupid fights. The only film that has convinced me was Keoma. The hot not that the movies are bad. But they could have been better. :wink:

Phew, rewatched it via the uncut Eyecather disc.
And I’m still worried about the decline of my taste buds, as this one wasn’t as bad as I remembered it. Even the directing was quite ok, even better than in other Castellari Spagies. Edd wasn’t annoying anymore and there were less fistifights and jumping arounds than Castellari usual.

Still not a great film, but instead of 1/5, it could get now (but why?) a 2,5/5 (hmm, maybe overrated now?)

The Costumes and the score have definitely the good SW feeling.

[quote=“Stanton, post:28, topic:165”]Phew, rewatched it via the uncut Eyecather disc.
And I’m still worried about the decline of my taste buds, as this one wasn’t as bad as I remembered it. Even the directing was quite ok, even better than in other Castellari Spagies. Edd wasn’t annoying anymore and there were less fistifights and jumping arounds than Castellari usual.

Still not a great film, but instead of 1/5, it could get now (but why?) a 2,5/5 (hmm, maybe overrated now?)

The Costumes and the score have definitely the good SW feeling.[/quote]

Wow! 2.5 / 5 is really a bit overrated.

I hope you will in future not a fan of Castellari. ;D ;D

Why not? If I begin to enjoy his SWs.