Sergio Sollima & Giulio Petroni R1 DVDs news?

What’s the latest re. “Face To Face” & “The Big Gundown” ('67 & '66; Sergio Sollima) and “Death Rides A Horse” ('67; Giulio Petroni) coming to R1 DVD?

P.S.
F.Y.I., I did a search and didn’t see an answer to this ^ question.

Hi, Burlock

The prognosis is pretty grim. The Big Gundown is available unofficially as the Franco Cleef version in R1. Death Rides a horse has some crappy fullscreen public domain cheapy releases. Face to face doesn’t have a R1 release yet.

If you don’t have one already, its an absolute must for a spaghetti western fan to have a region free player. I would suggest getting a region free player or downloading VLC player to your computer and watching the Pal 2 MGM release of Death Rides a horse.

Also Koch has a boxed set of all the Solliima westerns. Unfortunately they are only in foreign language with english subs.

ANother option is to get the japanese ntsc 2 release of face to face, but its very pricey.

:’(

Sir! Thank-you for replying, Sir!

btw, the vlc player will not help you with the region code issue if you’re using windows… just on a sidenote

but the multi-region dvd player tip is a good one. those are available for example amazon (we have another topic for that even) and usually around 50 bucks

The other option, if you don’t want to fork out for a new region free player, is to check online to see if your existing player has an unlocking code listed. Most players do these days and if you find the code for your one you just punch it in on your remote and ‘voila’ an instant region free player.

[quote=“Sebastian, post:4, topic:1062”]btw, the vlc player will not help you with the region code issue if you’re using windows… just on a sidenote

but the multi-region dvd player tip is a good one. those are available for example amazon (we have another topic for that even) and usually around 50 bucks[/quote]

hmm thats wierd cause I use windows XP and vista and VLC player seems to play all regions for me. ALthough most of the time I use intervideo player.

Yeah, VLC works for me, too, and I use Windows XP.
Interesting…

well i didn’t say it doesn’t play them. but usually if your software player doesn’t check the region code, there’s also the drive itself that does, and windows itself has a region code built in as well. so use dvd region info or something to check if your drive made some changes while you weren’t looking…

I’ve been told by a friend who is quite knowlegeable on Italian cinema and owns a shop that sells obscure DVDs that the same studio that owns the rights to The Man With No Name trilogy have bought the R1 rights for The Big Gundown and may release it here someday. Has anyone heard/read this?

you’d be talking about MGM/Fox in that case… that’s the first time I’ve heard of that though

I thought The Big Gundown was owned by Sony/Columbia, although Alberto Grimaldi produced it as well as the dollars trilogy, so if this is true, than maybe grimaldi has something to do with it.

well i was referring to the dollars trilogy, to which MGM/Fox has the rights. and the big gundown is public domain in the united states I think, if i’m not mistaken… if it were sony/columbia, we would’ve seen a dvd years ago, no matter how crappy

Good news! I was recently given a regionless DVD player! ;D