Sergio leone's gone with the wind

as i have mentioned i am currently reading Christopher Frayling’s “Something to do with death” the biography of Sergio Leone. In the book it says that Leone after making “For a few Dollars More” wanted to remake " Gone With The Wind"! it doesn’t go on ( or at least not yet) to say who he would have cast in the main roles of Scarlet O’Hara, Rhett Butler, Ashley, or Melanie. any one have any ideas or wild guesses?

Well, i dunno but to me this sounds like movie I’m pretty pleased it was never made. Remake of Gone With the Wind? Why?

I think Fernando Sancho in drag as Scarlett O’Hara would have been worth seeing. I can’t think of much else that would have induced me to watch it.

Fernando could have played all the main roles and then he could have won half a dozen Oscars as best actor,actress, supporting actor, supporting actress. And maybe another one for the best special effect.

Of course after that he would have been lost for the SW world.

Why not an SW of Gone With The Wind ;).

I reckon I would much prefer Leone’s GWTW than Fleming’s.

Leone liked working with de Diro, so I guess he’ll have a part. Perhaps, most of the cast of Once Upon a Time in the West would be contacted, as would Once Upon a Time in America. I think the female lead would involve a huge brouhaha, as the original did. Epics… you know… big big big.

Maybe [quote=“Mrs Angel Eyes, post:6, topic:2034”]Leone liked working with de Diro, so I guess he’ll have a part. Perhaps, most of the cast of Once Upon a Time in the West would be contacted, as would Once Upon a Time in America.[/quote]Yeah, but after Few Dollars more?

… wasn’t he only able to make the films he really wanted after 20 years since AFDM, AFD?

I’m glad he never did a Remake of GONE WITH THE WIND
;D
It’s a pity that he didn’t directed more movies. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Mrs Angel Eyes, post:8, topic:2034”]… wasn’t he only able to make the films he really wanted after 20 years since AFDM, AFD?[/quote]well you got a point here.

I would have loved to see Stalingrad though! But then he dropped dead :frowning:

If he had done it, it would have been awful to behold and all our respect for him would have been lost.

[quote=“Mrs Angel Eyes, post:11, topic:2034”]I would have loved to see Stalingrad though![/quote]Me too. Leone was good in directing large scale scenes with lots of people like bridge fight in GBU and some scenes in DYS. So, war movie might have been good genre for him.

John, why do you think it’ll stink?

Well, for a start who would he have cast? And anyhow, can you see him directing a large, romantic epic? Now, “Stalingrad”, on the other hand, would have worked…

Oh, yes, I thought you were saying Stalingrad would stink.

Personally, I really dislike Gone With the Wind, because my mother loves it ;D Like you, I would worry if Leone went in that direction. But if there is someone who can make GWTW palatable for me, it’s Leone. He makes excellent casting choices, IMO.

But his intended casting with a multiple casted Fernando Sancho seems to be a bit strange imo.

Leningrad!!!

Tornatore’s going to start this now he’s finished Baaria.

Of course, Leningrad. But Tornatore?

Can’t think of a better director to do justice to Leone myself. Not a fan eh Stanton?