Sauerkraut Westerns

(Tls321) #1

These were made before spaghetti westerns, they of course were western made by germans, any body else heard of these???

(Lode) #2

Sure sure sure, we just had a discussion about this and so on in another thread. Memorable winnetou movies - especially for me as german…

(SARTANA DJANGO BALLADS) #3

I am not keen on this “sauerkraut” term as I prefer Euro or Spaghetti Western :o

I have I believe ALL these Magnificent Classic WINNETOU Films based on Karl May books.

My Absolute Favourites as I posted in my Top 20 are:

1. FLAMING FRONTIER / OLD SUREHAND 1965 Stewart Granger , Letitia Roman

2. AMONG VULTURES / Unter Geiern 1964 Stewart Granger , Elke Sommer

3. RAMPAGE AT APACHE WELLS 1965 Stewart Granger , Macha Meril

The above I would rate as 17.5 out of 20.

Then ALL the WINNETOU with LEX BARKER, ROD CAMERON, GUY MADISON wonderful :slight_smile:

(Yodlaf Peterson) #4

Euro Western is definately describes European westerns.

I don’t think “Sauerkraut” is bad at all for German westerns, it’s just a German food, the same way “Spaghetti” is Italian food, so is “Macaroni” (What the Japanese caled Spaghetti westerns)

(Silvanito) #5

Hehe, they’re all called something that has to do with food :wink:

French Camembert, Spanish Paella, Turkish Kebab, even Swedish Lingonberry, it’s true!

Apparently this is because American westerns were once called Oaters, maybe they still have this nickname?

(Bill san Antonio) #6

[quote=“Silvanito, post:5, topic:790”]Hehe, they’re all called something that has to do with food :wink:

French Camembert, Spanish Paella, Turkish Kebab, even Swedish Lingonberry, it’s true![/quote]hehe, Finnish westerns were called tuohivirsuwesterns meaning “birch-bark shoe westerns”. So no food there. :smiley:

(Reverend Danite) #7

I heard it got so cold and isolated in some of the parts up there that some of you Finns would quite often roast up and eat a nice tasty tree-shoe … yummy? :wink:
Just been trying to find out if Czech westerns might be termed Limonadovy-westerns after Lemonade Joe (1964) - a film I’ve got but havn’t seen yet (it’s in Weisser’s book of eurowesterns).

(Silvanito) #8

I’m surprised they weren’t called Koskenkorva-Westerns (Finnish vodka)! :wink:

(Bill san Antonio) #9

[quote=“Silvanito, post:8, topic:790”]I’m surprised they weren’t called Koskenkorva-Westerns (Finnish vodka)! ;)[/quote]That would be fitting as some of these films are so bad that you’ll be wondering if the director was ever sober while making the film.

(Raph_Alv) #10

In Brazil, there was some westerns called “Feijoada Westerns”…
See ‘A filha do padre’ and ‘A vingança de Chico Mineiro’

cheers