Sauerkraut Westerns

These were made before spaghetti westerns, they of course were western made by germans, any body else heard of these???

Sure sure sure, we just had a discussion about this and so on in another thread. Memorable winnetou movies - especially for me as german…

I am not keen on this “sauerkraut” term as I prefer Euro or Spaghetti Western :o

I have I believe ALL these Magnificent Classic WINNETOU Films based on Karl May books.

My Absolute Favourites as I posted in my Top 20 are:

1. FLAMING FRONTIER / OLD SUREHAND 1965 Stewart Granger , Letitia Roman

2. AMONG VULTURES / Unter Geiern 1964 Stewart Granger , Elke Sommer

3. RAMPAGE AT APACHE WELLS 1965 Stewart Granger , Macha Meril

The above I would rate as 17.5 out of 20.

Then ALL the WINNETOU with LEX BARKER, ROD CAMERON, GUY MADISON wonderful :slight_smile:

1 Like

Euro Western is definately describes European westerns.

I don’t think “Sauerkraut” is bad at all for German westerns, it’s just a German food, the same way “Spaghetti” is Italian food, so is “Macaroni” (What the Japanese caled Spaghetti westerns)

Hehe, they’re all called something that has to do with food :wink:

French Camembert, Spanish Paella, Turkish Kebab, even Swedish Lingonberry, it’s true!

Apparently this is because American westerns were once called Oaters, maybe they still have this nickname?

[quote=“Silvanito, post:5, topic:790”]Hehe, they’re all called something that has to do with food :wink:

French Camembert, Spanish Paella, Turkish Kebab, even Swedish Lingonberry, it’s true![/quote]hehe, Finnish westerns were called tuohivirsuwesterns meaning “birch-bark shoe westerns”. So no food there. :smiley:

I heard it got so cold and isolated in some of the parts up there that some of you Finns would quite often roast up and eat a nice tasty tree-shoe … yummy? :wink:
Just been trying to find out if Czech westerns might be termed Limonadovy-westerns after Lemonade Joe (1964) - a film I’ve got but havn’t seen yet (it’s in Weisser’s book of eurowesterns).

I’m surprised they weren’t called Koskenkorva-Westerns (Finnish vodka)! :wink:

[quote=“Silvanito, post:8, topic:790”]I’m surprised they weren’t called Koskenkorva-Westerns (Finnish vodka)! ;)[/quote]That would be fitting as some of these films are so bad that you’ll be wondering if the director was ever sober while making the film.

In Brazil, there was some westerns called “Feijoada Westerns”…
See ‘A filha do padre’ and ‘A vingança de Chico Mineiro’

cheers