Sartana vs. Django vs. Sabata

Very nice El Topo :smiley: .

1.Django
2.Sartana
3.Sabata

IMO, Django is a better movie than any of the Sartana pictures but, as characters, I prefer Sartana head and shoulders above Django or Sabata.

Sabata, but only the first movie. The one’s are not worth mentioning.

As an overall series, I go with Sartana.

I find Sartana to be the coolest. LVC and Nero are great actors, but their characters aren’t as adaptable into other films. I mean, Sabata being something like a Sartana spin-off downgrades him and Django only has Nero to actually carry it. Sartana not only had 2 actors but some pretty decent adaptions (as far as non-canon adaptions go)

Sartana
Sabata
Django

I don’t know, Terrence Hill makes a damned fine Django

2 Likes

But in acting:

1.Lee Van Cleef
2.Franco Nero
3.Gianni Garko
4.Terence Hill

I like all three. But, Sabata and Sartana both rank super high in my book.

To be honest, I don’t know who to choose because both Gianni Garko and Lee Van Cleef have skyrocketing charisma and their characters are outstanding.

However, Sabata has one caveat: The sequel to the first film was vehemently bland, and by sequel, I’m referring to Return of Sabata (1971) as I don’t consider the Yul Brynner film a Sabata film in the slightest. It should be marketed as Indio Black as originally intended because that’s what it is. Great film, by the way, that one.

Sartana also happens to be the superior trickster and I can see him outsmarting Sabata after a long-lasting fair fight between the two that equals that of a clash of titans. Sabata is just slightly a little more grounded, while Sartana is absolutely untouchable.

So, in the end, Sartana wins.

Django is more of a badass underdog who’s admirable and fantastic. But, he can’t compete with either Sabata or Sartana.

1 Like

I’d say Django is probably the best film of the three, but just going by characters my list would be;

1. Sartana
  2. Django
  3. Sabata
  1. Sabata
  2. Django
  3. Sartana

Didn’t pay attention to the other posts till now, so I only rated them based on character analysis rather than films overall.

If we’re going for films, Django is the undisputed western out of them all. But, in the end, it is better suited for a different crowd because Django himself is more of a tragedian (anti-)hero who’d do it more fairly in comparison opposite, say, El Mariachi from those Robert Rodriguez films, which, in my opinion, also can’t compare as Rodriguez’s films are, for lack of a better word, unintentional pisspoor parodies of those types of films. But, you get the gist.

The Sartana and Sabata films on the other hand are the lighter and more “comic book” type westerns where you know the hero himself is having fun distorting the schemes of all those conspiring against him or the good of people. But, in my previous reply, I think I’ve established that Sartana has the better films.

Acting-wise? Lee Van Cleef is the one that tops them all, followed by Franco Nero, as both are rather big on dramatics. Terrence Hill and Gianni Garko are more of “journeymen” compared to the other two. But, that isn’t to say they’re anything but brilliant. Then again, this comes from a guy who never looks to find a Laurence Olivier or an Orson Welles in every actor he sees. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: