Sabata / Ehi amico … c’è Sabata, hai chiuso! (Gianfranco Parolini, 1969)

I didn’t find the out of sync dubbing too distracting. The box set is well worth getting. Pity about there being no extras.

Thanks for the replies guys, I went ahead and ordered it along with one I should have owned long ago…saw it awhile ago on Lonestar Channnel and it was a good as I remember it to be…Garko in Have a good funeral my friend…Sartana will pay.

Now I just have to wait for the snail mail to deliver them.
The price of the Sartana was cheap so I suspect will be of poor quality…but I just want to watch it again anyway…is their a decent copy of it out there anywhere?

VJ

Count me among them! :slight_smile:

It was good to see such a sharp transfer of the film and the soundtrack itself is quite solid in terms of audio quality, but how, how, how does a mistake like that get made? A little bit off and the error had a nostalgic quirkiness to it, but after a while it was ridiculous.

I have a Japanese boxset, it the quality that much better for me to upgrade or should i just stick with what i’ve got :slight_smile:

I paid like $20 for my Sabata boxset.

GREAT DEAL

Feeling a bit low yesterday and decided that a little Sabata therapy was in order.
This film always cheers me up. It is so camp and over the top without being ridiculous or making a fool of LVC (as in Captain Apache for example).
Plus the theme tune is one of my favourites. As soon as that starts playing I can’t help but smile. (If you’ve forgotten it go to Shobary’s site and remind yourself)
And then on top of all that you have Franco Ressel with possibly the greatest comb over in film history!
What more could you ask for?
Maybe I’m just easily pleased but I love this movie.

I saw a scene with Banjo in youtube… this guy rocks! ;D
I want it… but here in Middle-Europe are very few SWs on dvd. Not even all of Leone - GBU have I from another land.

[quote=“Sean Mallory, post:27, topic:37”]I saw a scene with Banjo in youtube… this guy rocks! ;D
I want it… but here in Middle-Europe are very few SWs on dvd. Not even all of Leone - GBU have I from another land.[/quote]
Oh my, someone from middle europe just like me. i agree that collecting spag dvds in this part of the world is kinda difficult but it can be done. what country are you from?

Hungary.

I was in Hungary recently, somewhere near the Slovakian border, and saw a Hill/Spencer DVD in a shop window. No idea which one it was though, my Hungarian is nonexistant! Do SW’s in Hungary come in Italian with Hungarian subtitles?

Your beer is excellent but the local spirits burnt a hole through my stomach lining.

Hm… OUATITW came out with English audio and Hungarian subs (because we had dub for a cut version and they could not put it on the dvd - pity, it was a really great dub, with one of the greatest hungarian actors dubbing Frank), FAFDM had a dub (old dub I think, I bought it in Austria, not here), FOD has English audio, subs and a terrible new dub…
GBU is not by us, but I have it - it’s illegal made, I think, has both the english audio and, thank God, the good old dub… (in Hungary GBU is a cult film with those dub)

ON:

I saw Sabata now, very good! That’s why we like SWs. LVC gives one of his coolest roles, Berger is totally lovable and cool. I loved Banjo. ;D

I have a few questions regarding the plot of the film. When Sabata and Banjo agree to do the duel, they say your 60000 against my 20000. Where did the 20000 come from?

Than they duel and obviously shoot blanks at each other and Sabata fakes death. How much money does Banjo recieve in the suit case?

SO they obviously planned this ahead of time but than Banjo attempts a double cross and releases the wagon that Sabata is lying in. Sabata knew this might happened and takes a rifle he hid underneath.

He than says that they agreed to 50/50, and than he says that Banjo is now entitled to the army reward and that he has to split it with Carrincha. But the army reward is only 5000. How is 5000 equal to 50-50?

Also, why did they offer Banjo 100000 to kill Sabata when all they had to do was pay Sabata 60000 to leave them alone?

I try to answer everything, i am not totally sure, but my memory of the movie is quite fresh:

[quote=“mrchallenge, post:32, topic:37”]I have a few questions regarding the plot of the film. When Sabata and Banjo agree to do the duel, they say your 60000 against my 20000. Where did the 20000 come from?

I think sabata says to stengel that he will have to put up 20 000 for banjo so that he agrees to the duell!

Than they duel and obviously shoot blanks at each other and Sabata fakes death. How much money does Banjo recieve in the suit case?

I think 60 000 for killing sabata.

SO they obviously planned this ahead of time but than Banjo attempts a double cross and releases the wagon that Sabata is lying in. Sabata knew this might happened and takes a rifle he hid underneath.

He than says that they agreed to 50/50, and than he says that Banjo is now entitled to the army reward and that he has to split it with Carrincha. But the army reward is only 5000. How is 5000 equal to 50-50?

Yes as punishment for trying to steal from sabata, they had agreed on 50/50 which would have been 30 000 each. but banjo tries to get away with 60 000 for himself. Sabata stops him and “punishes” him for this treatery with the army reward. The 50/50 deal was off due to banjo trying to steal away.

Also, why did they offer Banjo 100000 to kill Sabata when all they had to do was pay Sabata 60000 to leave them alone?

I think they were offended in there honour and also thought that Sabata will never stop to want more money from them. Since he was the only one left that knew of their planes of the robery they also want to silence him forever.[/quote]
Well this is what I think about this. Hope if was helping

Thank you for the Clarification valenciano. Its a great film. And the sound sync problem on the region 1 disc that people are complaining about was hardly noticeable!

I guess I’m the only one here who thinks this movie is a bad bad movie.
In my opinion, it’s unfunny, the plot is pathetic and the acting no good either (except for LVC, obviously!)

And by the way, I HATE Banjo! William Berger was like an old disgusting lady with that annoying grin…
One character I would undoubtfully shoot in the face!

But then again, not as bad as Return of Sabata, which I consider to be utterly… crap.

4 out of 10 (2 stars)
:confused:

Poor Banjo… :’( was worrying during the whole movie: ‘Oh Lee, please, don’t kill him, he’s so cute!’ And there is a man who wants to see him dead? :’(

;D

And what about Alley Cat? I found him very cool. :smiley:

[quote=“Jill, post:36, topic:37”]Poor Banjo… :’( was worrying during the whole movie: ‘Oh Lee, please, don’t kill him, he’s so cute!’ And there is a man who wants to see him dead? :’(

;D

And what about Alley Cat? I found him very cool. :D[/quote]

Haha I wanted him dead! The only reason I don’t completely hate William Berger is because his role in Keoma was very nice.

And Alley Cat? He is no cool either…
The only one I ALMOST liked was Carrincha, but sometimes he got on my nerves.

I saw this in cinema, some 35 years ago but didn’t remember much of it, only that I liked it a lot then (and strongly DISliked the sequel).
I’ve grown a lot older since - at least 17,5 years, I don’t hurry these things - and I can’t say I loved it this time around. It’s OK, let’s say 3 out of 5, but I don’t understand how Shobary can give it a 100% score after rewatching it. I’m not a Shobary like Spagh fan, if you know what I mean, but 100%, that is about as good as the bad & the ugly !

It’s over the top and (meant to be) funny, but that’s okay: it’s not ridiculous like some of those twilight comedies. It’s more like a Sartana movie (even plotwise) and at least there is some violent action. But on the other hand Van Cleef goes too easily (and too often) for that famous smile and some scenes, especially those involving Van Cleef AND Berger, are nearly ridiculous. The whole story didn’t seem to make much sense: there was much ado about a lot of money, but very often you hardly knew what kinda ado.
After watching BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN, this Stengel, or whatever he was called, was an ideal spaghetti villain.
Loved the way Lee killed him (gotta learn that coin trick!)

Still likeable, but 35 years ago, the world was younger than today.

I rewatched the sabata movies last week after recieving the box set.its hard to believe i once had sabata in my top 12 …but i hadnt seen nearly as many sw’s at the time i made the list and i was relying on my memory of this movie,i still think sabata is a fun film but not top 20 material .Return of sabata is a jumbled mess and seems to go on for six hours.This was my first time watching Indio Black (i dont consider it a sabata film)and found it rather good.I give both sabata and indio black 3 stars and return of sabata 2 stars…Sadly i must remove Sabata from my top 20.

Sabata will also never be in my top 20 List. I just don’t like all the henchmen of Sabata and the story about the money is very chaotic. But to see Lee Van Cleef in Action let me forgive anything. The problem is you have to watch it as a parody on SW. Then the movie is funny. I like all the different Guns of Sabata and the music is really good.