Rolling Roadshow-Almeria

(Firefox) #181

[quote=“Sebastian, post:180, topic:1018”]haha I posted this giveaway on the frontpage and sent out a round-message, and thought i’d be swamped in email within minutes, but so far nobody seems to have comprehended that four only a dollar or two donation you can have a poster/postcard set from the rolling roadshow, stuff that i probably could’ve pimped out on ebay for two-digit sums :wink:
well… .chances are still more than awesome to win…[/quote]

You should have received mine Sebastian?

(alk0) #182

I decided to take part in the competition as well. I hope i’m not too late :wink:

(Sebastian) #183

not too late yet. to everyone else out there: better hurry up

(The Rambla Rambler) #184

Just a quick post to introduce myself to the forum. I’m now back from a family trip to Almeria and whilst there I had the absolute pleasure of meeting a few of you at the Sergio Leone screenings. It was a refreshing experience to meet such a great bunch of guys with a common interest, who weren’t at all competitive or guarded about their knowledge or enthusiasms. It was also nice to see you were all as anal-retentive in person as you appear here on the forum. Lol. But hey, that’s what makes us all so individual and able to help each other learn about this great film genre we spend so much time thirsting for. To be honest I am not generally a forum person. I was turned off from joining as, in the past I have been invloved in other forums which have mainly turned into a clique of opinionated people who are were far too competitive with information. After my meetings with a few of you, as well as Sebastian the site administrator I can honestly say that I can’t see this forum going the same way.

So it brings me to my first post. I have been a non contributing vouyer of this site for too long. It’s a fantastic site written and worked on by some great and interesting contributors. You all have an amazing knowledge of Spaghetti Westerns, built over many pain staking years of viewing and research. My main passion is for location hunting. The thrill of the chase, and the unbelievable beauty of the backdrops. More importantly, the appreciation of the true brilliance of the Directors, Cinematografers and location hunters for the films all those years ago. They are as beautiful in real life now as they were when originally captured on film. Anybody with a true pasion for this genre should make their own pilgramage to Spain to experience the emotion and splendor of the locations. Most of these are in such remote abscure places that it did bring a smile to my face to see a convoy of cars leaving the El Cortijo del Fraile on a dirt track, after the Good Bad and Ugly screening in the ludicrous early hours on the Monday morning. Although this is a well known tourist location, this is usually a place that if you see one car or even a farmer it was a shock let alone the unusual experience of seeing a stream of cars with their headlights in the distance as far as you could see. This indeed was the true pull for the great Sergio Leone and his amazingly shot film.

So for now enough rambling, and I hope you can accept me into your fold as a humble but similarly anal compañero.

Johnny (The Rambla Rambler)

(Reverend Danite) #185

[quote=“The Rambla Rambler, post:184, topic:1018”]You all have an amazing knowledge of Spaghetti Westerns, built over many pain staking years of viewing and research. My main passion is for location hunting…

So for now enough rambling, and I hope you can accept me into your fold as a humble but similarly anal compañero.[/quote]

Welcome Brother Rambler, I remember meeting and chatting with you at the last 2 events. Great to see you here - and may I just add that this hombre’s enthusiasm and knowledge of locations and film angles is second to none, and I for one say amen for that.
Cheers Johnny - the Rev.

(Sebastian) #186

he knows every patch of grass in southern spain, and has trespassed into many a private property :wink:

(Reverend Danite) #187

Indeed he does. And indeed he has wandered without regard to man-made boundaries and fences. But no sin has been committed as he is a pilgrim on holy land and on a sacred quest. Therefore The Lord grants him his immunity and his freedom to roam.
Mind you what the civil guard or the national ‘policia’ might make of this ‘divine right’ is another matter. (So don’t be expecting any of our Priory’s communion collection if you get caught - however, we will pray for you amigo!) ;).
Keep up the good work.

(Phil H) #188

Let me add my warm welcome.
It was a real pleasure to meet you (and your long suffering better half) in Almeria and after our all too brief visit to that gorgeous place I can see why your passion is as much for the locations as the films.
I look forward to your contributions in our discussions and am genuinely glad you decided to join us. In particular, I’m looking forward to your help in identifying some of the more tricky locations that baffle us from time to time.
Good to have you with us mate.

(The Rambla Rambler) #189

Thank you all for your kind words of welcome. I look forward to many discussions in the future. As far as the location help. I will be happy to assist if I can. I will still hold you all to that Almeria reunion sometime in the future, which hopefully a few more of the forum members could make. We could then visit a few more of the obscure locations we spoke about.

By the way, did you guys enjoy your trip to Monsul Beach? I actually passed you on the rocky road between the Molino del Collado (Ringo, windmill) and the beach. We did hoot you Phil, but your were probably wrestling with the steering wheel as that is a particular bumpy ride. I had taken my family for a sunbath on the beach and expected I would bump into you at sometime. Unfortuantly we left just a little too early. It was interesting to see that they had rebuilt the Molino del Collado. The last time I visted it was 2005 and it was pretty much dilapidated as it was in the films. It’s strange but it seems a little bit too perfect now after its modern restoration. Did you check out any of the locations on route from Los Albaricoques? If you took a rain check on them as you were pushed for time not to worry, I’m sure there will be more chances to do so in the future. (Not that there was much chance of rain)

(Sebastian) #190

the beach was amazing, i don’t think we stopped on the way for anything, safe the village that is only a stone’s throw from that windmill, which you can see from the street.

the next trip to almeria will probably include (at least for me) one or two extended tuco tours and a lot more :wink:

(Reverend Danite) #191

this is the beach that they refer to as ‘The Last Crusade’ beach cos of the Indiana Jones conection …
But we call it the Blindman beach?
Anyway - it was lovely. I got to wear my new bikini, Phil, Seb and Yodlaf went topless, and unfortunately Tigger went bottomless as well. :stuck_out_tongue: :-[ Luckily there are no photos! ;D

(Chris_Casey) #192

YES!! FINALLY!!! I am able to access the Forum, once again!! It has been a couple of weeks since I have been able to view these pages, properly. Who knows why I haven’t been able to until today, though.
Tis a mystery, indeed!

Anyway…

I am VERY happy that you folks had a fine time in Almeria!! Wish I could have been there with you guys and to have way too much Contessa at the Alba!! :wink:

(Yodlaf Peterson) #193

[quote=“Reverend Danite, post:187, topic:1018”]Indeed he does. And indeed he has wandered without regard to man-made boundaries and fences. But no sin has been committed as he is a pilgrim on holy land and on a sacred quest. Therefore The Lord grants him his immunity and his freedom to roam.
Mind you what the civil guard or the national ‘policia’ might make of this ‘divine right’ is another matter. (So don’t be expecting any of our Priory’s communion collection if you get caught - however, we will pray for you amigo!) ;).
Keep up the good work.[/quote]
When Johnny, his girlfriend Lisa and myself went to Spain in 2005 we ended up at an old monastery type place, i gave him a lift up to get on top of the wall which led to a flat surface, i pulled myself up only to hear growling dogs and got down again (not feeling too energetic that day as the sun had really hit me, i didn’t bottle it), Johnny carried on creeping about to take some pictures!!!

We trespassed on several occassions, all we would say if questioned is that we couldn’t understand the signs!

Looking forward to going back sometime in the near future.

(Yodlaf Peterson) #194

here’s a pic when we went in 2005

(Sebastian) #195

sexy topless :wink:

(Firefox) #196

[quote=“Sebastian, post:180, topic:1018”]haha I posted this giveaway on the frontpage and sent out a round-message, and thought i’d be swamped in email within minutes, but so far nobody seems to have comprehended that four only a dollar or two donation you can have a poster/postcard set from the rolling roadshow, stuff that i probably could’ve pimped out on ebay for two-digit sums :wink:
well… .chances are still more than awesome to win…[/quote]
Many thanks Sebastian, I have just received my poster and postcard set, very nice …now what wall shall I hang it on…

(alk0) #197

Recieved it as well, looks very nice, thanks :slight_smile:

(Yodlaf Peterson) #198

Just looking back over this thread, I’d love to go again.

(Sebastian) #199

any time, my friends…

(Reverend Danite) #200

Yeah. Me too. Sorry it didn’t get a return this year Yod (for all sorts of complicated reasons) - but who knows what 2011’ll bring? I can feel it tho’… :slight_smile: