RIP Luke Askew

Luke Askew died March 29th in Lake Oswego, Oregon only 3 days after his 80th birthday. Luke appeared in over 80 films and TV appearances 20 of which were westerns and one the Euro-western "Night of the Serpent. Askew was an unforgettable character and supporting actor in such films as Easy Rider, Cool Hand Luke, The Culpepper Cattle Co., Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid and The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid.

A familiar face on the screen over the years

RIP

Not viewed his role in a Spaghetti yet, but a very familar face indeed. A face I associate with 70’s films the most, which is a good thing for me. R.I.P

R.I.P. Luke. As Topo said, a familiar face. I didn’t know his name though.

Watched him in Easy Rider just a few weeks ago. Sad to hear of his passing.

RIP :’(.

Always a good choice for supporting roles. Last film I saw with him was Walking Tall 2. RIP.

R.I.P. Enjoyed watching him in Night of the Serpent.

A reliable supporting actor. R.I.P

R.I.P. Luke.

R.I.P askew
the only movie i like from him was ‘magnificent seven ride’ and it was one of my favorites american westerns

Agreed. This guy was incredible in that one.
I’ve just watched Night of the serpent and now his death… Sad, truly sad! :cry:
RIP Mr Luke Askew - you were a great actor!

I didn’t really like Night of the Serpent that much but I thought Askew’s performance in it was terrific. He was a good actor.

Totally agreed. I can see why you don’t like this. A pretty strange film, but not as twisted as El Puro, which you consider to be the worst spaghetti I’ve ever seen, right? :wink:

Yes, but please don’t tell Robert Woods that, I just added him on Facebook LOL.

HAHAHA. ;D Don’t worry, I won’t. Neither am I a great fan of El Puro. The basic idea of ex pistolero who becomes an alcoholic is ingenious IMO, but El Puro is for me too esoteric. And I love La Notte Dei Serpenti.

I guess I’m in the minority, but when it comes to SWs about drunk gunfighters, Tequila Joe is my fave of the lot.

Where’s Korano these days? I’m sure he would be devestated by the news. I think night of the serpent was in his top 10 if I’m not mistaken.

[quote=“Col. Douglas Mortimer, post:17, topic:2976”]I guess I’m in the minority, but when it comes to SWs about drunk gunfighters, Tequila Joe is my fave of the lot.

Where’s Korano these days? I’m sure he would be devestated by the news. I think night of the serpent was in his top 10 if I’m not mistaken.[/quote]
Yep, you’re right. Actually, I was so interested in watching La Notte, because it was on his Top 10 (we have similar tastes).
I liked Tequila, but not as much as Night of The Serpent. Maybe I’ll re-watch it someday.
And yes, I always appreciate drunks in spaghettis, great theme for westerns IMO. :slight_smile:
Poor Luke… what a pity he’s gone.

Sad news indeed. Always one of my favourite familiar faces in 70’s/80’s tv and films. Just saw him Friday morning in an episode of Quincy!

Grim tidings. He was one of my favourite character actors, synonymous for me with the gritty revisionism of Seventies American Westerns.

He was part of an informal repertory company with the likes of Matt Clark, Bo Hopkins and Geoffrey Lewis, great value as a cold-eyed villain or a grubby gunfighter in a slew of movies like The Culpepper Cattle Company (Kid: “That’s a nice horse. What do you call him?” Luke: “You don’t put a name on something you might have to eat”), The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid and Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid.