Richard Harrison

What do you think about his career and movies?

I really enjoyed One after the other (uno dopo l’altro) Joko and Reverend Colt
It seems he’s not so popular in SW fans.

An interview (In english) of him on the french too-bad-its-good movies Nanarland (I recommand their website for people who like crap movies like me :wink: )

http://www.nanarland.com/interview/interview.php?id_interview=richardharrisonvo&vo=1

1 Like

Richard Harrison must be the most gutted spaghetti western actor ever, he turned down the role in Leones “FISTFUL OF DOLLARS” because they didn’t offer him enough money!

As we said in France when good occasion is missed,he had to eat his balls roasted with onions!
In the interview he is very modest and said that is better contribution to cinema was when he turned down the role and advice the name of Clint Eastwood to the producer.

Has anyone seen any those vigilante and war movies he made in the Philippines? I’ve seen one called “Fireback” which is probably the worst movie ever made but it’s damn funny. It’s just so bad in every way: script, dubbing, dialogue, acting… so awful in every way that you’ll laugh yourself to death!

LOL!

I’ve always liked Richard Harrison. He is very good in several early SW’s, in my opinion.
Some of my favorites of his are: GUNFIGHT AT RED SANDS, THE PITILESS THREE (GUNFIGHT AT HIGH NOON), $100,000 FOR RINGO, ONE AFTER THE OTHER, VENGEANCE, and EL ROJO.

He made some great Eurospy flicks, too! RING AROUND THE WORLD, SECRET AGENT FIREBALL, to name two.

Harrison was a solid performer who did some fine work when he had the opporutnity to work with good directors. He really got the short end of the stick in the late 70’s and into the 80’s when he kept getting stuck with Godfrey Ho and some of those Philipino productions. Geez…those are hilariously bad and tragically sad all at the same time!

Of all the films with Richard Harrison already mentioned, the only two I’ve seen are GUNFIGHT AT RED SANDS and VENGEANCE, enjoyed his performance in both. Of the two films I’d put VENGEANCE as my favourite, a good SW that is a little underrated IMO.

[move][/move]

RICHARD HARRISON USA LEADING Actor who emigrated to EUROPE in early 1960s .

Richard Harrison has to be one of the most PROLIFIC TALENTED VERSATILE ACTORS EVER

Richard Harrison has credits in CLASSIC Sword and sandals, Spaghetti Westerns, Spy
Thrillers, Adventure, Ninja/Martial arts and Italian Police Thrillers.

Richard Harrison has given countless excellent leading performances with an air of
integrity, honesty, reliability, warmth. He has REAL ACTING ability unlike some of these
repulsive, stiff, dull, boring “critically acclaimed” NOBODIES that kept making one boring
"true life" drama after another and getting Oscars in the “corrupt” back scratching
Hollywood system of “voting”.

We had all the tedious sleep inducing , stiff …Citizen Kane, Some like it hot, manhattan
Schindlers list , gone with the wind (endless talking yawn) , brokeback CR-*P mount…

Film after film RICHARD HARRISON excelled and gave MILLIONS great FILM viewing :slight_smile:

[move][/move]

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:8, topic:512”][move][/move]Richard Harrison has credits in CLASSIC Sword and sandals, Spaghetti Westerns, Spy
[move][/move][/quote]
Harrison has appeared in these kinds of films alright, but which of them are considered classics?

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:8, topic:512”]We had all the tedious sleep inducing , stiff …Citizen Kane, Some like it hot, manhattan
Schindlers list , gone with the wind (endless talking yawn) , brokeback CR-*P mount…[move][/move][/quote]
SARTANA DJANGO, you have convinced me that you don’t like these talky Hollywood films as you attack them in different threads but I don’t think that’s very relevant in defending Harrison’s films. Remember, Richard has done his share of dull movies too. BETWEEN THE GOD, THE DEVIL & THE WINCHESTER and HIS NAME WAS KING come to mind - actually the latter one had some interesting action stuff but Harrison’s performance was wooden. On the other hand, I liked him in a lot in VENGEANCE and would like to see his more obscure titles like EL ROJO.

I’ve heard that he made only one film with Godfrey Ho but Ho used these scenes over and over again in different ninja films; because of this Harrison’s so-called roles are usually just few scenes with nothing to do with the rest of the movie. In some films Harrison is seen putting a ninja constume on in one scene and rest of the film is about a masked ninja who looks nothing like Harrison when close-ups of character’s masked face are used.

It’s true that Harrison’s 70s westerns are very cheap, shot-in-Italy boredom, the lowest point being His Name Was King with recycled scenes from Vengeance. Reverendo Colt doesn’t have anything going on. His career after westerns in quite incredible, full on strange trash movies ranging from D’Amatos sexploitation Voodoo Baby to Bruce Lee rip-off Challenge of the Tiger (directed by Bruce Le) and Jess Franco action thriller Dark Mission: Flowers of Evil (with Christopher Lee!).

Has anyone seen Deadly Trackers / Long Revenge’s Ride? It should be one of his better SWs.

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:8, topic:512”][move][/move]

RICHARD HARRISON USA LEADING Actor who emigrated to EUROPE in early 1960s .

Richard Harrison has to be one of the most PROLIFIC TALENTED VERSATILE ACTORS EVER

Richard Harrison has credits in CLASSIC Sword and sandals, Spaghetti Westerns, Spy

Richard Harrison has given countless excellent leading performances with an air of
integrity, honesty, reliability, warmth. He has REAL ACTING ability unlike some of these
repulsive, stiff, dull, boring “critically acclaimed” NOBODIES that kept making one boring
"true life" drama after another and getting Oscars in the “corrupt” back scratching
Hollywood system of “voting”.

We had all the tedious sleep inducing , stiff …Citizen Kane, Some like it hot, manhattan
Schindlers list , gone with the wind (endless talking yawn) , brokeback CR-*P mount…

Film after film RICHARD HARRISON excelled and gave MILLIONS great FILM viewing :slight_smile:

[move][/move][/quote]

I think we have here a great talent for satirical posts. Fun to read.

Now Stanton / Hud I will have to play some very loud OPERA :smiley: if you question my posts

Hud you raised some surprising questions which I will straighten you out on :

RICHARD HARRISON CLASSIC/MEMORABLE/CULT FILMS ARE:

INVINCIBLE GLADIATOR 62 Brigitte Corey Excellent epic adventure.
GUNFIGHT AT HIGH NOON 63 Gloria Milland Outstanding early SW western.
GUNFIGHT AT RED SANDS 64 G.R.Stuart Enduring western entry.
SECRET AGENT FIREBALL 65 D.Boschero Exciting cult Spy Euro Film.
$100000 FOR RINGO 65 F.Sancho Very good SW type film.
RING AROUND THE WORLD 66 Helene Chanel Exciting global spy film.
EL ROJO 66 Nieves Navarro Legendary SW revenger.
ONE AFTER ANOTHER 67 Pamela Tudor Cleverly plotted western.
VENGEANCE 68 Claudio Camaso Masterful SW epic revenger.
STAGECOACH OF CONDEMNED 70 F.Sancho Gory, violent SW adventure.
DIG YOUR GRAVE FRIEND 71 Raf Baldassare SW exciting tale.
HIS NAME WAS KING 71 Klaus Kinski Well made SW potboiler.
REVEREND COLT 71 Guy Madison SW with Religious slant.
DEADLY TRACKERS/
LUNGA CAVALCATA DELLA VENDETTA 72 A.Ekberg Magnificent SW revenger.
SEWER RATS 74 D.Lassender SW similar to Magn.Seven
BEAST WITH A GUN 77 Helmut Berger Violent classic police thriller.
PROVINCIA VIOLENTA 78 Al Cliver Italy Police/crime adventure.

These RICHARD HARRISON FILMS SWs, SPY, SWORD&SANDAL, POLICE, THRILLERS
are ALL CLASSIC FOR ME because they ARE Memorable, Excellent, Legendary, Class.
Each films delivers superb entertainment, quality direction, superb acting, music/plot.

I can easily ADD another 10 or 20 RICHARD HARRISON Films to the above list as CULT.

Hud mentioned “talky Hollywood” CR-*P films which he knows we all DETEST etc

I will KEEP MENTIONING these abysmal, rotten, smelly , sleep inducing stiff bores
because when you see the terrible low, wooden “standard” fo these "critically liked"
JUNK then you realise how GREAT and CLASSIC are the SWs/ GIALLOS/HORROR etc

FROM the 1950s/1960s/1970s that we all LOVE and APPRECIATE on this Forum. :slight_smile:

More Rotten losers from the stiff bores list : Tootsie 82, Chariots of Fire 81, Annie Hall

And yes you need to be SARCASTIC and CHALLENGING because twisted “critics” like
Loser Halliwell ??? :’( were allowed to print books with 99% of “reviews” all being
the WRONG WAY ROUND…Halliwell praised absolute trash …dramas/comedies and
was always maliciously hostile/biased against the BEST FILMS SWs, Horror, Thrillers…

Finally I DO NOT AGREE with some suggestions that

BETWEEN GOD THE DEVIL 1968 and HIS NAME WAS KING 71 were “dull” or “poor”

I watched BOTH films and was extremely happy, entertained and pleased with BOTH.

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:12, topic:512”]Hud mentioned “talky Hollywood” CR-*P films which he knows we all DETEST etc

because when you see the terrible low, wooden “standard” fo these "critically liked"
JUNK then you realise how GREAT and CLASSIC are the SWs/ GIALLOS/HORROR etc
FROM the 1950s/1960s/1970s that we all LOVE and APPRECIATE on this Forum. :slight_smile:

More Rotten losers from the stiff bores list : Tootsie 82, Chariots of Fire 81, Annie Hall

And yes you need to be SARCASTIC and CHALLENGING[/quote]

So we all on the forum appreciate them genre oldies, but still need to be told to do so. Is it really the fault of these disappointing establishment films that personal favourites like DIG YOUR GRAVE SABATA’S COMING are not being appreciated enough? Is condemning mainstream comedy and drama the solution, and how much do we need that (it can get tiresome)?

I’m glad if you enjoy HIS NAME IS KING and the rest, no problem with your tastes amigo.

Well I am glad we can agree on the SWs/Horror/Thrillers/Westerns 50s/60s/70s :smiley:

I would NOT claim that every SW or Horror or Thriller or Giallo is a “classic masterpiece” !!
What must be posted though is that when you COMPARE the above films to the ABYSMAL
Recent Rubbish critically “acclaimed” JUNK, then you realize and appreciate SWs/Giallos…

I feel very strongly and I will make the point whenever I deem necessary because we
have a continuous “critics bias” in Books, Tv Listings, Reviews Of Films and when I see
that twisted nonsense I and others MUST STRAIGHTEN things out correctly. ??? :smiley:

DIG YOUR GRAVE SABATA’S COMING 70 is STAGECOACH OF THE CONDEMNED 70

Which I listed as a Classic Richard Harrison Film, he teams up with Fernando Sancho.

Anyway Let us talk SWs/Giallos , watch great Films and TRY to give positive reviews. ;D

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:14, topic:512”]DIG YOUR GRAVE SABATA’S COMING 70 is STAGECOACH OF THE CONDEMNED 70

Which I listed as a Classic Richard Harrison Film, he teams up with Fernando Sancho.[/quote]

Not true. Harrison and Sancho made two SWs together that were directed by Juan Bosch. I have seen both. Mostly same cast, shooting locations are very much alike etc. Synopsis for both films (from fatmandan.de):

Stagecoach of the Condemned:

“Story: Legendary gunman Wayne Sonnyer, now running a stage station under the alias Robert Walton, with his family is set upon by a group of Mexican bandits who take over the place. He’s made a promise to his wife never to use his gun again and must fight with himself to keep the promise or rescue the passengers of the stage being held prisoner.”

Dig Your Grave, Friend… Sabata’s Coming:

“Story: Steve McGowan joins forces with bandit Leon Pompera to find his father’s killer. Killer Miller hires Sabata to eliminate Steve, but the matter becomes complicated when Steve falls in love with the killer’s girlfriend.”

IMO Stagecoach is better of the two but still average at best. Dig Your Grave, Friend… Sabata Is Coming was quite boring, even with Raf Baldassarre playing the role of a cool black-clad professional killer (Sabata of the title). Not much action.

Thank you Silver Wolf you are 100% correct , they were same cast, director etc but

2 DIFFERENT SWs indeed !! I got fooled with all the translated titles, same cast etc :’(
Well quoted synopsis for both films and I felt maybe if they lacked in a lot of action the
characters were quite engaging and entertaining. Stagecoach the better film yes.

STAGECOACH OF THE CONDEMNED 70 is PRIMA TI PERDONO POI T’AMMAZZO (Italy)

DIG YOUR GRAVE FRIEND SABATA… 71 is SEI GIA CADAVERE AMIGO TI CERCA GARRINGO (Italy)

I am glad we have not 1 but 2 Richard Harrison Films shot back to back and for posters
on this board that know their SWs very well.

I will have to study and check my facts/references with more diligence… ;D

Hello Gringos! its my return on the forum after a long ride from hell!

My friends from the to-bad-its-good movie forum Nanarland made an interview of Richard Harrison for a special movie night at the cinémathèque française. They put the interview on their website three days ago.

Comments are in french but Richard’s answers are in english.

2 Likes

Merci @Lanky_gunman

A great fellow, this George, great glasses too
And now we know how Sebastian will look like within 30-40 years

Remember Clint’s advice to Eli: Don’t do anything that’s dangerous …

Does anyone know how to reach out to Mr Harrison?

Thanks for sharing!