Return of Ringo

For a long time I thought that the lyrics of this song were nonsensical, when it turns out that the singer was bad with his English. Or maybe it’s just that I have bad listening skills. Whatever the case, this is how I thought the lyrics of this song went, seriously, for like 15 years I was under this impression (comments in red):

I kiss at last the bill of ground on my land, ([size=8pt]This must be some strange rite used in real estate transactions.[/size])
That I left one day with my heart, heart full of pain. ([size=8pt]Saying it twice makes it more evocative I suppose.[/size])
I have looked in the faces of my old friends,
But now they look at me as my old friends. ([size=8pt]In other words, nothing has changed, they’re still your old friends.[/size])
And now what happens you must, you must tell me. ([size=8pt]Again with the saying it twice.[/size])
You must remember who I am.
If you see a man with down can size and dragon claws, ([size=8pt]Wait. What? A man with dragon claws? Argh![/size])
Walking through your village don’t shout him but go the side. ([size=8pt]Go the side, 'round the back, and get the hell out of town![/size])
I’m that man and now I beg you, help me. I need you, I need you. ([size=8pt]It’s not me you need, it’s a plastic surgeon![/size])
The liar who told my sweetheart I I was debt, ([size=8pt]No wonder you’re in debt, what with all that money you’ve spent on plastic surgery and voice therapy.[/size])
To take my place he shall pay for this space like. ([size=8pt]As long as you left the bill of ground in your space, everything will be fine.[/size])
Those who saw me as a round-town man, ([size=8pt]If you keeping walking through the village, how else are we going to see you?[/size])
Those who tried to destroy our whole world,
Shall leave forever our beloved land,
Because we are fearless men,
Because we are fearless men. ([size=8pt]With dragon claws.[/size])

And here are the real lyrics, for what it’s worth:

I kiss at last the beloved ground of my land,
That I left one day with my hard heart full of pain.
But nobody looked at me as my old friends.
And now what happens you must, you must tell me.
If you see a man with downcast eyes and ragged clothes,
Walking through your village, don’t shun him but go beside.
I’m that man and now I beg you, help me, I need you.
I need you.
The liar who told my sweetheart that I was dead,
To take my place, he shall pay for this base lie.
Those who saw me as a rundown man,
Those who tried to destroy all our world,
Because we are fearless men.

Welcome to the board ijontichy (Yes I know, several days late)… This is fun shit.

“If you see a man with down can size and dragon claws,”

Wonder how the movie would have been if that HAD been the case…

But yes the lyrics can be quite hard to understand with some of these Italian singers.

[quote=“ijontichy, post:1, topic:1190”]For a long time I thought that the lyrics of this song were nonsensical, when it turns out that the singer was bad with his English. Or maybe it’s just that I have bad listening skills. Whatever the case, this is how I thought the lyrics of this song went, seriously, for like 15 years I was under this impression (comments in red):

I kiss at last the bill of ground on my land, ([size=8pt]This must be some strange rite used in real estate transactions.[/size])
That I left one day with my heart, heart full of pain. ([size=8pt]Saying it twice makes it more evocative I suppose.[/size])
But now they look at me as my old friends. ([size=8pt]In other words, nothing has changed, they’re still your old friends.[/size])
And now what happens you must, you must tell me. ([size=8pt]Again with the saying it twice.[/size])
If you see a man with down can size and dragon claws, ([size=8pt]Wait. What? A man with dragon claws? Argh![/size])
Walking through your village don’t shout him but go the side. ([size=8pt]Go the side, 'round the back, and get the hell out of town![/size])
I’m that man and now I beg you, help me. I need you, I need you. ([size=8pt]It’s not me you need, it’s a plastic surgeon![/size])
The liar who told my sweetheart I I was debt, ([size=8pt]No wonder you’re in debt, what with all that money you’ve spent on plastic surgery and voice therapy.[/size])
To take my place he shall pay for this space like. ([size=8pt]As long as you left the bill of ground in your space, everything will be fine.[/size])
Those who saw me as a round-town man, ([size=8pt]If you keeping walking through the village, how else are we going to see you?[/size])
Those who tried to destroy our whole world,
Because we are fearless men. ([size=8pt]With dragon claws.[/size])

And here are the real lyrics, for what it’s worth:

I kiss at last the beloved ground of my land,
That I left one day with my hard heart full of pain.
But nobody looked at me as my old friends.
And now what happens you must, you must tell me.
If you see a man with downcast eyes and ragged clothes,
Walking through your village, don’t shun him but go beside.
I’m that man and now I beg you, help me, I need you.
I need you.
The liar who told my sweetheart that I was dead,
To take my place, he shall pay for this base lie.
Those who saw me as a rundown man,
Those who tried to destroy all our world,
Because we are fearless men.[/quote]

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Love it.

Love this score. Cannothelp but singing along every time I watch.

To be honest, I was thrown by the first line:

"I kiss at last the pilaf crown of my land … " :o

After that it’s pretty unintelligible.

Has anybody told a base lie today?