Remake of A Fistful of Dollars

There have been a few remakes of Sergio Leone’s first SW over the years, which of course was a remake of Kurosawa’s Yojimbo in the first place.

Anyway if you’re not already familiar with it, the Icelandic film Hrafninn Flygur from 1984 is at times almost scene for scene a remake of Fistful!

It’s about vikings in Iceland but the style and story is pure Leone Spaghetti-Western :smiley:

It was a co-production between Iceland and Sweden, the Swedish title is Korpen Flyger, it also had an English title When the Raven Flies.

I’m not sure exactly in which countries it was shown though.

If you can find it it’s an interesting film to see, unfortunately I don’t have a copy of it at the moment.

[quote=“Lindberg, post:1, topic:847”]There have been a few remakes of Sergio Leone’s first SW over the years, which of course was a remake of Kurosawa’s Yojimbo in the first place.

Anyway if you’re not already familiar with it, the Icelandic film Hrafninn Flygur from 1984 is at times almost scene for scene a remake of Fistful!

It’s about vikings in Iceland but the style and story is pure Leone Spaghetti-Western :smiley:

It was a co-production between Iceland and Sweden, the Swedish title is Korpen Flyger, it also had an English title When the Raven Flies.

I’m not sure exactly in which countries it was shown though.

If you can find it it’s an interesting film to see, unfortunately I don’t have a copy of it at the moment.[/quote]

I’m glad to read about it here. I’ve seen it on Dutch (?) television, I suppose somewhere in the eighties , and didn’t remember the title. I’m pretty sure I saw it on television, and I guess it wasn’t released theatrically overhere, but I’m not sure.

It’s never mentioned when Fistful/Yojimbo are discussed, so from time to time I thought it was only a dream.

I remember I liked it very much, but I thought the ending was a bit different. There was something about a very young boy watching his father (?) getting killed. Or am I mixing things up?

I hope that “When The Raven Flies” gets issued on a DVD Italian/English as it sounds

INTERESTING indeed. :slight_smile:

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:2, topic:847”]I’m glad to read about it here…

It’s never mentioned when Fistful/Yojimbo are discussed…

I remember I liked it very much, but I thought the ending was a bit different. There was something about a very young boy watching his father (?) getting killed. Or am I mixing things up?[/quote]

Yes it’s an obscure film today I think, and it’s a pity perhaps, it’s not an absolute must-see, but interesting, obviously especially for fans of spaghettis.

You remember correctly scherpschutter, the ending is slightly different from Fistful.

The film’s Icelandic director Gunnlaugsson openly said that he was a big fan of Leone in particular and spaghetti-westerns in general, when the film premiered.

He did a couple of follow-ups to this film but they were not quite as influenced by Leone’s work.

It’s sounds interesting indeed :slight_smile: A Leone-style Viking-flick. How cool xD

You know when I saw the subject of this thread, at first I got mad… I thought you meant someone was actually remaking it.
So how would you all feel if some big Hollywood studio remade Fistful? I’d be piiiiiiisssssssed.

The sad thing is, it’s just the sort of thing Hollywood is likely to do.
I was checking my shelf and you can count the original stories released in the western genre in the last 20 years on your fingers and toes without taking your shoes off. Take out all the remakes and biopics (or pseudo biopics) and you are left with a pretty small group. No, original ideas are not a strong suit among todays movie execs when it comes to horse operas.

Haven’t they already made a remake: Last Man Standing ;D

True! I’d forgotten that.

Got this tape in today. Look forward to watching it.

Regarding how I’d feel about a modern remake, I guess it depends how it was done. Being that Fistful itself was a remake of Yojimbo, its hard to argue that a remake of Fistful is any worse than the original- if enough originality is brought to the remake

If its just a typical Hollywood styled remake of an old movie, then that leaves plenty of room to be pissed about it… but honestly, right now I’d probably enjoy being able to go to the theatre to see something that is remotely interesting to me… I would still think its a shit idea, but I wouldn’t let that stop me from seeing/potentially enjoying it.

The spaghetti genre as a whole is nothing but remakes and stolen ideas. If someone was to remake it now, it wouldn’t really be any different than what the genre was doing, except for the fact its 30-40 years later…

What an awful cover for that tape, makes the film look like some Conan rip-off

haha, it does