Rebels in Canada / Rebeldes en Canadá / I tre del Colorado (Amando de Ossorio, 1965)

Database page: Tre del Colorado, I - The Spaghetti Western Database

Didn’t see any thread for this early outing so created one

Not the greatest of eurowesterns, but some good fur hats and some weird coiffures make this not a complete bore either

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Rebels_in_Canada_(Rebeldes_en_Canada)_Review

Yes the hats are nice :slight_smile: , and thats about it really.

Are the scenes with the cavalry lavishly looking?

They look alright, but the director threatens to run out of extras.
Lots of bad horse tripping, will no doubt lead to cuts in some countries

It’s an okay look, film is not that bad, but if you can’t find a copy, don’t feel depressed, you didn’t miss anything substanstial

There were 2 or 3 Spanish westerns set in Canada, which had surprisingly lavishly battle scenes. On a much bigger scale than in SWs usual.

Might give you an idea:

Have started watching the newly released Hudson River Massacre blu-ray release of this from MVD. The good part first. The release contains both the Spanish and English dubs with English subs. This is where the greatness of this release ends because they DNR’ed the hell out of it. It looks plain awful. Not a feature left on anyone and not a grain to be seen. Everything has been wiped out. On top of that they did a bad transfer. It’s very jittery especially when any movement is in the picture or the camera pans. Perhaps, like with the Hanging for Django-release, the dvd that has also been released of this is in a better shape. In short: NOT recommended.

1 Like

Well. The jittery image is caused by this being a 1080i 60hz affair as specified here:

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=53273

They just plain messed this one up. The Italian dub mentioned on dvdcompare is non-existant. It is the Spanish dub that is included.

Very frustrating ! … in these days of HD, even Ultra HD, interlaced video is not welcome :-1:… get your act together ‘professional’ video distributors.

2 Likes

Too bad. The setting of Rebeldes en Canadá (Manitoba and/or Ontario in the 1870s) and its historical point of reference, Louis Riel and his rebellious Métis (who, by the way, are the subject of a great “comic-strip biography” by Canadian cartoonist Chester Brown from 2003) seem to be interesting and a good background for a gripping adventure film. Unfortunately, the movie itself is neither adventurous nor gripping. But the rebels’ fuzzy-tailed faux fur caps (Robin DesBois and his furrymen) and the main actresses’ chic hairdos (or wigs) are definitely worth seeing.

I watch this one yesterday. It is very different from the other one that Ossorio directed. The suspense was replaced by lots of action (not particularly well done IMO).

In a Spanish documentary about Ossorio’s work it’s mentioned that he was subject to censorship when he made its first movie, Black Flag, focused on death penalty. He was 8 years without directing. His new chance to comeback would be with the rising of euro-western fever.

So, I guess despite his strong material being horror flicks, western had a decisive role.

It is also mentioned that he would have written manny scripts that were never used. In this doc images it shows at least one with standard western title.

1 Like

This film’s page in the database has been updated to the new layout. Please help us with contributions to make it more informative.