Re: Are Spaghetti Westerns Exploitation Movies?

Like I said I don’t think SWs are about just violence, far from it

Are you stupid or something?

[quote=“Lindberg, post:21, topic:2085”]Like I said I don’t think SWs are about just violence, far from it

Are you stupid or something?[/quote]
I can see what you are getting at; ignoring the name-calling, all I have to say is that of course Spaghetti Westerns are far from being just about violance, but the distibutors promoted (probably at the annoyance of the directors) as if it were, and teenagers in the sixites I would have imagine gone to see them just for their blood-letting at first. so, the producers were “exploiting” the Saghetti Westerns" as violant films.

But then all of that would apply to a large number of mainstream films released nowadays, but would you call them exploitation films? I wouldn’t…

Exploitation is basically a genre, with certain characteristics… these characteristics are not easily defined with words, but are fairly unmistakable when seeing the films.

I wouldn’t say that spaghettis have the exploitation characterstics… a fan of exploitation as a genre would certainly be let down by any spaghetti, if they are expecting it to adhere to the “genre” makeup

I don’t think so. At posters they clearly wantd it to look very much like a traditional Western. Not the posters themself, but the taglines for example.

By the way, what’s offensive about explotation films?

Many of the biggest explotation films made their name by being offensive… centering around extreme scenes of violence, rape, real violence, etc…

Also even aside from those things, films like blaxploitation can easily be considered offensive as they are basically full of rapid fire stereotypes… exploiting stereotypes

If we’re talking about Cannibal Holocaust, I agree!

Well the whole cannibal genre as a whole used these same tactics for the most part… its hard to find cannibal films without these scenes

But then there’s also the mondo films, some featuring real scenes of violence towards people… not very many of those though and I’m not quite sure if they are necessarily exploitation or not

This term, exploitation, seems to be quite troublesome

Yes, Cannibal Ferox is another infamous film. This snuff genre I don’t think actually exists. Not so sure about mondo either. Infamous genre, but not many of them at least.

Tha nazi camp movies is another true exploitation genre

Ilsa She Wolf of the SS, and a number of Italian nazi movies

There are many cannibal films… Yeah, snuff is a mythical genre… maybe some films exist, but any reported are all fakes. But some of the mondo films, while using some obviously faked footage, do feature some real scenes also

[quote=“Lindberg, post:30, topic:2085”]Tha nazi camp movies is another true exploitation genre

Ilsa She Wolf of the SS, and a number of Italian nazi movies[/quote]
Naziplotation is pure Grindhouse! WIP is another genre.

i think after talking about some of the elements and examples, the nazi one is a good one Lindberg, it seems to me exploitation involves being extreme with some kind of antisocial idea

maybe antisocial isn’t quite the right word

And then there’s also nunsploitation… which I’m sure Christian/Catholic/whatever folk would have a field day being offended by :smiley:

I think what defines an Exploitation film is doing something to the extream (thus gaining an X-rating). So, for instance, Blaxploitatin always had black heroes, Naziploitation, Nunsploitation… Well, the last two shouldn’t really be taked about in front of Silence, but you know what they did to the extream.

From (the not necessarily authoritative, but handily consise) Wikipedia:

“Exploitation film is a type of film that is promoted by “exploiting” often lurid subject matter. The term “exploitation” is common in film marketing, used for all types of films to mean promotion or advertising. Thus, films need something to “exploit”, such as a big star, special effects, sex, violence, romance, etc. An “exploitation film”, however, relies heavily on sensationalist advertising and broad and lurid overstatement of the issues depicted, regardless of the intrinsic quality of the film. Very often, exploitation films were of low quality in every sense (Schaefer 1999, pp. 42-43,95). This, however, was not always the case. Exploitation films sometimes attract critical attention and cult followings.”

The site goes on to list a number of genres often classed as exploitation films, including SWs.

When I think of SWs as a while I consider them taboo-busting, but not necessarily exploitative. Of course, many SWs were clearly exploitative in the way they focussed on what are (or were) widely perceived to be “negative” elements - violence, vengeance and so on - but the majority were simply tough, rugged adventures.

The way that many were promoted, especially on the drive-in/double-bill circuit (where they were often paired with blaxploitation movies and kung-fu flicks), contributes to their status in many people’s opinions as exploitation films.

Would agree here. They are kind of exploitation by association.

Don’t even try :D!

Now now Silence, keep quiet while the grown ups are talking. :smiley:

(Gruff voice) Go to your room while men talk is being spoken.