Ramon the Mexican / Ramon il Messicano (Maurizio Pradeaux, 1966)

That looks like Honil.

If itā€™s Honil, itā€™s the one on the right.

Thanks for the input and welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Thank you for your contribution Gianni!

So in your opinion despite that little mole in common this guy from the 1st segment of Le belle famiglie (1964 movie now available on YouTube) itā€™s not Honil?

CG has added it as a digital download, but there is no DVD

The Wild East DVD runtime is 1.32 h and IMDb states 1.36 h. There are some obvious editing where some parts are is missing. The best, that is most essential, example is slightly less than 45 min into the DVD. It is when the leading character Slim Baxter suddenly has joined a group of outlaws. How did that exactly happen ?
During watching Ramon The Mexican for around 10th time or so I finally observed that the cave present in that scene - where he is training his reaction time - is the same cave that Slim was treated in after the first duel with Ramon. I guess this was not due to the slim (sic !) budget :slight_smile: And why was that scene cut, since it was critical for the continuity ?

My biggest objection to this SW is Jean Louis as Slim Baxter. He lacks the charisma of an antihero and it seems rather strange that ā€œEsmeraldaā€ is so deeply in love with him. He also is a bit stiff when they are together, no emotions there.
However I love the style, for example with her making sacrifice for her love and the music and cinematography connected to that. I like the theatrically feeling. Also Robert Hundar is very, the most, convincing and watching his character Ramon supposed to be playing one of the marvelous musical themes by Felice Di Stefano is very amusing and atmospheric. This mood of SW is extremely influenced by the music which is thoroughly integrated in the film. If you love the music as I do, then that is a very strong rating factor - otherwise probably not !. The changes in musical themes with different story themes, riding groups etc is also a nice pleasure for me.
So mainly thanks to the music and atmosphere I maintain my rating 7/10, and nearly forgot the 3 minute flamenco dance scene with better than usual Spanish flamenco music IMO.

x23 Blood River/Ten White Men and One Little Indian (Gianfranco Baldanello) music Piero Umiliani 1974
x24 Awkward Hands (Rafael Romero Marchent) music AntĆ³n GarcĆ­a Abril 1970
x25 Pistoleros/Ballad Of A Gunman (Alfio Caltabiano) music Marcello Giombini 1967
26 The Return Of Ringo (Duccio Tessari) music Ennio Morricone 1965
27 Ramon The Mexican (Maurizio Pradeaux) music Felice Di Stefano 1966
28 A Stranger In Town/A Dollar Between The Teeth (Luigi Vanzi) 1967

10 times? Bloody hell, thatā€™s a lot!

I have watched each of my SWs on my Top 82-list of 6/10 or higher rated films around 4-10 times the last 4 years when I have become a true SW aficionado :slight_smile: But that ā€œonlyā€ means an average of around 1 SW every three days :slight_smile: I treat them like my favorite reading (Carl Barks Disney comics from 1942-1966) and favorite musicā€¦ I consume all that ā€œartā€ more or less like enjoyable food !

1 Like

In only 4 years? Wow. I could not bring myself to watch it that many times in my lifetime. Even my favorites Iā€™ve seen about half that, I prefer to come back to them when I am in the need of a good film I know I will enjoy, rather than wear them (and myself) out.

But different strokes and all that ā€¦

One explanation regarding my habits is that I have a lot of free time, and nearly donā€™t watch TV or just an occational movie or athletic competitions with long distance running events. I also prefer watching my ā€œfewā€ 82 current highest ranked SWs once more, than to search, through trial and error, among the other several hundreds I havenĀ“t watched since I have already rejected them due to the descriptions in forum threads, reviews etc. ā€œIt is only a matter of principleā€. I think that is more efficient and, more important, less painful :slight_smile: I still have watched a group of around 40 former candidates more that didnĀ“t satisfy my taste, in several cases though given up after say 15 min - 1 h !
That group of SWs was often less ā€œhotā€ candidates by their description but usually had some positive features that made me curious.

However Ramon The Mexican is probably the only SW that I didnĀ“t explicitly chose but was accompanied by California on the DVD which on the other hand was a big disappointment for me. So I MAY have missed a personal gem or two by not watching them all, but I can live with that :slight_smile:

thatā€™s understandable. More power to you, my friend!

1 Like

I have to say though, I canā€™t agree with you on Ramon the Mexican. I think it is a rather poor, lackluster flick that is heavily influence by a far superior film, and while that - in itself - is not necessarily a bad thing, it means it struggles to stand out amongst the many likewise run of the mill spaghettis and is, in my opinion, merely a passable entry and nothing special.

California, on the other hand, I believe to be up there (if not quite at the top) with some of the best of the genre. though I am fond of Giuliano Gemma.

I agree - that we disagree :wink: But the way and especially to the extent the (lovely IMO) music is integrated in the, albeit not original story, is rather extreme. It is not very far away from a sort of ā€œSW musicalā€ but without a lot of disturbing singing ;-), I really like Felice Di Stefano here.
Ramon The Mexican is also free of usually boring barroom brawls and other type of fist fights. Different opinions is of course natural since there are and probably must be a lot of pure subjective items that are included in our taste. Within those subjective views a person can have a pure ā€œlogicalā€ resulting opinion. In politics that may be an exception though :wink:
In music for example my taste is a looong way from the average.
Within the SW field my preferences also seem to deviate from the majority (for example expressed as the number of SWs of the ā€œofficialā€ SW Top 20 on this web site that also are on my list - though probably mainly caused by my dislike of expressed ā€œzapataā€ themes)

Of course, that is what the site is for isnā€™t it really, sharing our opinions. At heart, at least, we are here for the same reasons - our love of westerns. :grinning: there is, no doubt, some we must agree on. :wink:

2 Likes

I just watched this one again.
If someone could update the main page: Ramon il Messicano

At least some of the ā€œfilming locationsā€ were set at:

De Paolis INCIR Studios
Manziana
Collepardo
Camerata Nuova

Thanks,

1 Like

This filmā€™s entry in the database has been updated to the new format. We appreciated hints to corrections, but most importantly submissions of more information, such as facts and trivia, links, reviews, pictures and for example soundtrack and VHS info.

I just finished watching this last night - I spotted some of the same locations - must check the locations in detail.