Ramon the Mexican / Ramon il Messicano (Maurizio Pradeaux, 1966)

Thank you @Tom_B and @scherpschutter . I too see the similarities, but with 2 first names and no definitive pics so far we’ll see what @JonathanCorbett comes up with. If nothing concrete we’ll put Rubien in the uncredited section and no role for Ranieri.

Last night checking out in random manner the 1st segment - also with Angelo Infanti, Giovanni Petrucci and Franco Valobra (Night of the Serpent) - I noticed this face: maybe the bearded guy with Aldo Berti and Claudio Biava?

Interesting, the bearded guy is blond and of course bearded :slight_smile:

For clarification, the segments don’t have individual credits so Honil Ranieri could possibly be in any one of the 4?

Nothing to report in the fourth segment.

In the meantime, I just found out that the actor in Pollanetsquad pic is with absolute certainty Luigi Barbini!

They have, but Barbini and Ranieri are only credited at the end.of the movie together with Petrucci, Valobra, Scratuglia, Mirko Valentin and two actors I don’t know (Antonio Galante and Egidio Casolari).

Here’s the blond guy, it’s hard to get him without the cigar :slight_smile:

I’m not seeing a match for your guy in Sicario, which could mean 2 different people, or not :slight_smile:

The same is true for the third segment with Tony Anthony and Lars Bloch.

Ater noticing this I think the former is the case

1 Like

I just viewed Ramon The Mexican for the first time, from the Wild East double feature which also had the very very disappointing Gemma-movie California. In spite of its lower IMDb ranking I enjoyed the former very much more. The music was miles better with mostly more appropriate SW flavor, and story, acting and mood felt good enough, so some more views in the future are motivated. The “funny” fast draw training with an axe involved was a new SW twist for me.

It was the forum thread and reviews of California that inspired me to buy this DVD, but it was Ramon The Mexican that made it worth while IMO.
I will initially rank it as a 6 of 10, indicating it may be included in my 3rd group of SW below the 4 first Leone SW, that is a tie for rank 18-23 currently with The Unholy Four, Long Days Of Vengeance, A Pistol For Ringo, Face To Face and Mannaja.

1 Like

People actually take notice of those?

This is the only ranking worth taking seriously :cowboy_hat_face:

I obviously did :slight_smile:
It is most likely not by coincidence that the Leone SW are highly ranked, but of course personal opinions differ widly and thus the potential value of the rankings for a given SW fan should be just a very rough “hinting” potential value with respect to your own preference.

So far within less than a year as an active SW collector I feel I have been fairly lucky and with few exceptions picked out over 20 (non Leone) mostly IMO acceptable/good to very good SW by reading forum threads and reviews here and also reviews linked via IMDb usually but mostly with an eye also on different SW rankings here and on IMDb.
I would say that California is my biggest “failure” so far and an exception. Such little gems IMO as Django Kill and Cemetary Without Crosses were definitely picked after studying this Spaghetti-Western forum regardless of IMDb rankings.

You will probably enjoy ‘California’ more on a second viewing, without any preconceptions or high expectations. Also, once you’ve seen some of the ‘real’ stinkers from the genre, then ‘California’ may seem like a masterpiece by comparison.

Thanks for the comments on ‘Ramon, the Mexican’ … haven’t seen it yet.

I thought California was okay at first, but a couple of viewings later it became one of my favourites.

1 Like

Your 2 last comments seem to give me a certain hope :slight_smile:

A common complaint is that it’s uneven, but that can also be classed as variety. It tricks you into thinking it’s going to be a daft buddy movie then shit gets real.

1 Like

After a second view I conclude that I must lift up Ramon The Mexican a point to rank it 7 of 10, that is around even with for example The Forgotten Pistolero, Anda Muchacho Spara and Requiem For Gringo (and a few other SW) which I think all share a rather similar slightly dark/tragic, serious mood and importantly very good music supporting that mood.
These are all SW that I have felt worth viewing 3-4 times within the first months or half year.
After a year as a more serious SW collector I have now found at least 20 SW of similar quality or better (ranked 7-10 of 10), of which only the 4 first Leone SW was known by me before (since decades). The majority of the bought SW belong to that quality category since I have seen less than 40 SW.

I agree, he is the weakest factor, but I still the 3rd view find the overall style of the film very attractive and I like the music very much creating the right mood. It doesn’t look cheap to me but similar in caracteristics like some other of my 7 out of 10 rated SWs such as Requiem For Gringo and The Forgotten Pistolero.
I bought the DVD for California (now bottom ranked at 4 out of 10 by me) but surprisingly got a solid 7 out 10 from Ramon The Mexican.

Nice to finally view this one via The Wild East version, as for a long time only poor quality versions existed.
Hundar is a big fellow !, and very watchable, but the old nosey dude is by far the best character.

1 Like

Welcome back mate.
It’s been too long

Cheers Phil.

The Sheriff is not Honil Ranieri. I met Honil 51 years ago in Rome, Italy. But the man in the green uniform is very close in looks, and it may be him. When I met him, he had a full read beard, and he looked like De Rossi, the Roma player.
Just for the record, his name is Honil, nothing more, nothing less.