Online-Shopping post-Brexit Tips/Experiences

Ah, the art of scolding one for being too political…by being too political. :rofl: I guess there really is no place left where one can go to simply share a love of something without politics rearing it’s ugly head. That is a shame because it is a nice idea.

2 Likes

Well if you don’t want to get into it, don’t raise the subject. You may have to pay import duties like I’ve always had to pay buying stuff from the US. But that doesn’t make me opine that the US stinks. If you’re going to shoot, shoot straight. And the EU fascist dictatorship is the target.

“All glory is fleeting”

1 Like

My target is what gullible fools, tricked by populists into harming their own countries and others in the process, have brought upon the world (no matter who they throw the fascism label at), starting with having to pay fucking import duties on a pair of discs.

And while I was lamenting brexit (not opining that any country stinks), you were the one who started with the Farage talking points (who was quick to get a EU passport after suckering you). Normal folks having to pay import duties on small scale commerce like ordering movies, is just as shitty no matter where you order it from.

2 Likes

Last three times that I ordered films from UK they came through without import fee. However, I don’t think you’ll find the box for any less then 80,

Populism is what is popular with the majority of the people, and upon which democracy is based. Seems like the anti-brexiteers are elitists who believe that a minority should make all the rules. Brexiteers voted for the return of our sovereignty. We wanted to be governed by the UK parliament, whose members we could elect. We did not want to be governed by a cabal of unelected commissioners in brussels. And all these lies that “Farage lied” and we all believed him doesnt wash. I was lied to when we joined the Common Market. And ever since the Common Market was transformed into the EU Federal State by the subterfuge of our own government led by John Major and then Gordon Brown, I had wanted a referendum so that I could vote to leave the EU. Remainers lost the vote because they were a minority. Get over it.

“All glory is fleeting”

that’s a bummer… not that it won’t be worth it, but it’s a hard sum to swallow

Thats… not what populism is (see for example Populism | History, Facts, & Examples | Britannica). But thanks for this exchange on brexit poltiics anyways.

2 Likes

“Populism seeks to defend the interests and maximize the power of ordinary citizens, through reform”.

Sounds good to me.

Anyway, I live in the UK and I bought Vengeance Trails from Amazon.co.uk. So I don’t see what belonging to or not belonging to the EU has got to do with it.

If you live in the EU then you may well have to pay import duty, which is a quid pro quo now introduced because the UK has regained it’s sovereignty from the EU and we now have different trading relations based on EU spite.

If you live in the US, you may have to pay import duty for UK packages. But that’s always been the case between the US and UK. What happens is that from all the millions of packages on the conveyor belt, they pick out a random few and slap duty on them. Most of the time you’ll never know; occasionally they pick your package and you get slapped with duty.
This system now operates between the EU and the UK.

It’s a lottery.

I buy DVDs from Germany, Italy, France, Spain and the US. I rarely get caught with duty.

So what country are you in that hits you so badly?

Everything. There are no import fees within the EU because it’s a single market. With the UK out, import duties or customs taxes or however you call it, apply (with exceptions and whatever) to most commercial shipments over a certain total amount, which the Vengeance Trails box hits. I think the threshold is, as it is with other non-EU origins (for EU customers) at about 20 bucks or so.

1 Like

No. No matter where u stand on the matter (fine with me if you are all pro Brexit, I am not, we settled that) there are now different trading relationships because one country decided to leave the single market and is now outside of it. By your very own explanations, that’s the reason for the different trading relationship.

1 Like

Yea so you won. Now man up and own it. Stop blaming “EU spite”.

So what country are you in Sebastian? Are you in an EU country, or a non EU country?

In an EU country, that’s why I raised the point of the imports

Okay, so as an EU citizen, you would be subject to import tariffs on any products bought in the US, if you were unlucky to have your package inspected. As indeed would I, as a non-EU citizen.

Britain tried to negotiate a no tariff deal with the EU, but the EU wouldn’t have it. The EU insisted on tariffs, so we have tariffs.
You watch enough Spaghetti Westerns, so you should be able to spot the bad guy.

I still buy DVDs from the EU and have not paid any tariffs since the UK became a sovereign independent country.
If you buy from the EU and a tariff is charged, it’s the EU doing the charging, not the UK.

I’ll leave it at that.

Yea let’s leave it at that :grin:

1 Like

The EU approved a zero-tariff agreement with the UK last year. If you’re ordering from the EU, VAT is due now the UK is outside the Customs Union.

Leaving the EU was a massive own goal for Britain, orchestrated by Farage, Cummings, Johnson and co. exploiting exactly this kind of ignorance.

1 Like

Piripero,
My previous sentence may have been confusing. Let me make it clear:

If you live in the EU and buy from the UK, a tariff may be charged. That tariff will be collected by the EU, not the UK.
That’s definitely not an own goal for the UK. It’s a kick in the teeth for EU citizens by the EU.

I’ll ignore your use of the word “ignorance”, and try and leave it at that for a second time.

PS
LEGEND OF THE 7 GOLDEN VAMPIRES BluRay just arrived from Amazon.es (Spain) at my home in UK. EU to non EU, NO TARIFF.
They haven’t got the manpower to Tariff everything. I advise Sebastian to put in an order for VENGEANCE TRAILS from the UK and chances are there will be no tariff.

It’s not the EU collecting it’s the destination country and it’s the VAT they are collecting so differing from each country. I’m located in Denmark and people are slowly stopping ordering things from diverse UK shops because they surprise surprise get hit with the extra cost. Not just the VAT but also the import fee which it is up to the delivering courier what estimates to. The Danish postal service have an import fee of roughly 22 euro for example which has to be paid on top of the VAT. Shops like the British Amazon do seem to be finally able to get this right and just make the customer pay the domestic VAT up front but other shops? Good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not so much confusing as incorrect.

As Avatar says, it’s not an EU tariff, it’s VAT. This applies both ways - UK to EU and vice versa.

UK purchases from Europe incur our 20% VAT charge, plus any admin fee at point of sale. EU purchases from the UK may incur the VAT charge at point of sale or upon arrival.

Thanks for sharing that. Denmark is in the EU, and Denmark has tariffs because the EU wouldn’t agree no tariffs with UK.
Do you get charged tariffs every time? Or is it just the luck of the draw?
In the UK it is the luck of the draw.
I bought THE ALAMO and MAJOR DUNDEE Blurays from Amazon Germany this month and paid no tariffs on either.

Last year I bought IN ORDER OF DISAPPEARANCE through Amazon UK. But Amazon UK was acting as a middleman; the Bluray was being supplied from an outfit in Pennsylvania. The luck of the draw was that it was hiked off the conveyor belt in the UK and slapped with duty, which I was asked to pay at the local British Post Office.
The BluRay cost £15, and they wanted £15 duty. When I realised which package it was, I denied ordering it and left them holding it. I may chase up a refund one day.
This year I bought HERCULES IN THE HAUNTED WORLD from Amazon UK, and I read the small print too late; it was coming from the same Pennsylvania outfit. Fortunately, it progressed along the conveyor belt unharmed, and I paid NO TARIFF.

The only other time that I was hit with an import tariff before IN ORDER OF DISAPPEARANCE was for a VHS before DVD was invented. Maybe I’mm just lucky.

Incidentally, the tariff that is charged on imports is VAT. VAT goes into the EU coffers. Look it up. Try and find the answer on the internet, and you’ll realise they don’t want you to know that.

Can we start a new tariff thread so that people can explain how things work in their own countries? I find this fascinating.