One Against One … No Mercy / Uno a uno sin piedad (Rafael Romero Marchent, 1968)

I didn´t say you should stop watching films. But if I´d rate the average film 2/10, which is pretty horrible, I’d find a different hobby.

Also, I don’t think the average film is 2/10. A monkey can turn on the camera for 90 minutes and come up with something of that level.

You are contradicting yourself a little. If something is average it’s boring and if it’s boring it’s bad. So average = bad?

So let’s say you rate something 5/10 Then it’s basically 2/10? I don’t see any logic there.

1 Like

Average means there are not much ideas, all is done as usual, no surprises, you mostly know what comes next. Such films are mostly boring.
The bad film is also mostly boring but much poorer made than the average film.

And for the ratings, I shouldn’t have started this again. It seems hard to understand cause everybody sems to be used to see the 5 as the middle.
I have written above that I only use it for myself. In this rating there is no middle. I give points for certain levels of quality. And my 2 seems to be the same as your 5. But I have more numbers to differentiate between the good films. And I see no great need to make much differences between bad films.
I don’t care if a film is slightly bad or very bad. Bad is bad is boring is never watch again.

In Halliwell’s Film Guide films are rated from 0 to 4. But 2 is here also not the middle. It gives a 0 for “all routine films or worse”. And 2 for a “generally entertaining film” with “a good level of competence”.
And routine is in my book just another word for average or mediocre. At least in Germany the word mediocre is already a very low rating.

I understand you. My girlfriend is like you. She thinks a movie is either bad or good. As a matter of fact I had the same discussion with her. So I ask here something like: “What would you rather watch, a 1 out of 10 film or a 5 out of 10?” She replied: “Neither, they’re both bad” This is of course a weird answer, since I didn’t give the answer as one of the options. Furthermore a 5/10 is still 4 points better than a 1. You feel me knocking?
I myself wouldn’t watch a 5/10 again either. But just as there are different shades of blue, there are different kinds of bad. But yeah, it’s all blue, I’ll give you that.

Of course there are different shades of bad, but it’s not worth the time to consider if a film is bad, really bad or absolute worse. Or whatever bad it is.

It’s more fun to ponder about the films which are fun.

And I think meanwhile to describe a film by numbers has something illuminative.

William Bogart (Guglielmo Spoletini) logra bordar un gran papel como Charro, el mexicano recién salido de la cárcel que ayuda al protagonista a buscar a los culpables de la deshonra de su padre.
Me gusta esta película. Sin ser una gran obra, pienso que es entretenida.
Y su director se adelanta al humo de “Trinidad” en un par de peleas a puños, aunque el tono general es serio.

William Bogart (Guglielmo Spoletini) manages to embroider a great role as Charro, Mexican fresh out of jail to help the protagonist to search for those responsible for the disgrace of a father.
I like this movie. Without being a great work, I think it’s entertaining.
And its director is in advance of smoke “Trinity” in a couple of fist fights, but the overall tone is serious.

It is not bad film for me 8) . And it doesn’t look cheap either. French disc has beautiful picture.
BTW, this is definitely not checkmate :o .

[url]http://img249.imageshack.us/i/pdvd026.jpg/[/url]

Did not remember what I thought of this one, so gave another view. To quote something I sometimes say, the film has a short running time so does not outstay its welcome. An average one that just lacks bite at times, but of course there is alot worse than this. Like the end twist though.French disc is the best I have seen the film look so far.

1 Like

Has some good moments involving Spoletini… but mostly boring and forgettable, imo, the barroom brawl and romance scenes are annoying.

I thought it was a decent enough effort, I liked the twist, I had almost turned it off before it came on screen.

I do have a soft spot for PLL though.

Yes there are a few PLL fans out there :slight_smile:

One of whom was seriously unhinged! :o

I have to agree :wink:

Do we remember him fondly…? :stuck_out_tongue:

Sure do :smiley:

Finally watched it.
Not great, but not too bad either, I’ve seen far worse:

[size=12pt]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/One_by_One…_Without_Mercy_Review[/size]

Well said. I also watched this recently and this is a good summary. Not a bad film but I don’t have much to say about it. Generally I like these “buddy film” type westerns.

As on other RR Marchent westerns (for example Awkward Hands, released about two years later) the start is anything but promising, but despite two uninspired saloon scenes it gets slightly better and the last ten minutes - including the gunfight with Stuart henchmen and the cynical ending - are good.

Monica Mills is credited in the Italian, but Josyane Gibert (as Josianne Gilbert) is credited in the Spanish. The only other credit for Monica Mills is in Una forca per un bastardo. And sure enough Josyane Gibert is there! Monica Millesi is only credited, as far as I can find, in Death Laid an Egg. There are no actors in that in either of the 2 westerns so Monica Mills is Josyane Gibert not Monica Millesi. Josyane Gibert in One Against One, Una forca per un bastardo, The Million Dollar Countdown and Jess Franco’s Drácula contra Frankenstein.

2 Likes

I use these scales, Which are widely used in market research
(Worked 15 years for a Market Research Firm in IT)

The 0 to 10 scale is used so folks know that 10 is highest rating possible

You’d be surprised How many folks invert the 1 to 10 scale and think 10 is the lowest Possible Rating

Using the 0 clears that up instantly