Non-North American set Westerns

Yes, but then it should have a prefix, like Tom Betts mentions Sci-Fi westerns, Mexican Revolution westerns, Alaska Gold Rush westerns :smiley:

There are “modern day westerns” like Dirty Harry

Some say Brokeback Mountain was a “gay western”

They are not just “westerns” :smiley:

Hell, even the Italian version got the name “spaghetti western” just because of it’s origin ::slight_smile:

Learn many things on this site ;).

Klondike Western is whatit’s called. Like North to Alaska.

I think it was Andre Bazin, who once said that High Noon wasn’t a real western.
He disliked westerns which wanted to be more than a western by bringing in a supposed “seriousness”.

His definition of a western implied to play by the rules, and breaking them disqualifies as a western.
So the quality lies in the variation of well known genre patterns.

Of course this is also a problematic definition as any. Who e.g. sets the rules?

After reading all of these ‘qualifications’ of a western, I have decided that there are no westerns
its all a figment of my imagination, or maybe a figmentation of my imagine. :o

I thought I was dreaming actually :D.

[quote=“stanton, post:44, topic:1320”]I think it was Andre Bazin, who once said that High Noon wasn’t a real western.
He disliked westerns which wanted to be more than a western by bringing in a supposed “seriousness”.

His definition of a western implied to play by the rules, and breaking them disqualifies as a western.
So the quality lies in the variation of well known genre patterns.

Of course this is also a problematic definition as any. Who e.g. sets the rules?[/quote]

Even this ‘playing by the rules’ and being disqualified when breaking them is problematic
Film making is not a game, in the sense that chess or soccer are games: you cannot play chess or footbal and breaking the rules at the same time, playing a game means respecting the rules.
In art, creating something new, being innovative, often, maybe inevitably, means breaking rules, clichés or whatever they are called

I think too it was Bazin who said High Noon wasn’t a real western, because it wanted to be more than just a western, that is ‘change the rules’. He didn’t dislike High Noon, but in this view, for this reason, the film simply was ‘not good’.
Others thought Shane was not good, because it wanted to immortalize the western myth, in other words: freeze the rules forever (I don’t think Shane tried to do that, but that’s not essential here)

Personally I have a preference for innovative westerns that ‘play with the rules’, ‘change rules’, such as The Great Silence, The Wild Bunch, The Gunfighter, The Great Gundown or The proposition. I like straightforward westerns, spaghetti or not, but if I have to make a choice, I go for the innovative ones. The problem with Bazin probably was that he was too much of a theoretician: his own theory, his own view was sacred, and often made him say things against better judgement. Theories are fine, but if you become domatic, they become a problem.

And Tom: We’re having fun, just having fun

Besides, from a San Francisco point of view the west is in the east

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:47, topic:1320”]Even this ‘playing by the rules’ and being disqualified when breaking them is problematic
Film making is not a game, in the sense that chess or soccer are games: you cannot play chess or footbal and breaking the rules at the same time, playing a game means respecting the rules.
In art, creating something new, being innovative, often, maybe inevitably, means breaking rules, clichés or whatever they are called

I think too it was Bazin who said High Noon wasn’t a real western, because it wanted to be more than just a western, that is ‘change the rules’. He didn’t dislike High Noon, but in this view, for this reason, the film simply was ‘not good’.
Others thought Shane was not good, because it wanted to immortalize the western myth, in other words: freeze the rules forever (I don’t think Shane tried to do that, but that’s not essential here)

Personally I have a preference for innovative westerns that ‘play with the rules’, ‘change rules’, such as The Great Silence, The Wild Bunch, The Gunfighter, The Great Gundown or The proposition. I like straightforward westerns, spaghetti or not, but if I have to make a choice, I go for the innovative ones. The problem with Bazin probably was that he was too much of a theoretician: his own theory, his own view was sacred, and often made him say things against better judgement. Theories are fine, but if you become domatic, they become a problem.

And Tom: We’re having fun, just having fun[/quote]

As I said it’s problematic too.

And problematic fun

What’s about Movies with Inuits. Are they also Western?

Reminds me on a discussion I had with someone who doesn’t like western . He stated he likes GBU because according to western rules it isn’t a western but a great Action Comedy or an Adventure . I don’t know the reasons anymore (maybe because of the Treasure and the Civil War) but he couldn’t convice me. :slight_smile:

Me either.

One person called GBU a combination of western pastiche, comedy and opera :smiley:

What the hell! ??? OPERA!

Yes, and many SWs are very operatic with their ritualized duels set to music for example, so this is quite true :slight_smile:

hence, the nickname ‘horse opera.’

;D

Maybe its just that I identify opera with a lot of singing where as spaghettis have very little dialogue most of the time.

American westerns are called horse operas, Spags are called shooting operas. (Pferde Oper - Schieß Oper)

[quote=“AceHigh, post:55, topic:1320”]hence, the nickname ‘horse opera.’

;D[/quote]

One funny thing I read somewhere from Christopher Frayling:

“Even if the term Horse Opera was originally given to the Hollywood western, it took the land of Puccini to show what the term really means” :smiley:

does " north star"(1996) count as a western with horse drawn sledges?

I think it does if you consider it one. We shouldn’t try to make any general definitions, each to his own. We should just list everything that might be coinsidered SW or Eurowestern in database, let each user decide what is a western for him.