No Graves on Boot Hill / Tre croci per non morire (Sergio Garrone, 1968)

I also like raig Hill

Thanks silver - itā€™s not without its deaths of course - but not all being the obvious ones - Iā€™ll say no more :wink:

ā€œThree Hillsā€ ā€¦ itā€™s a sign from The Lord - watch this ā€¦ or donā€™t ā€¦ at your peril! :wink:

Well, in reality the Rev has about 500 more, which are thanks to the loved by millions man are not counted anymore.

Who is the loved by millions man? Iā€™m guessing SD.

You just won an air point, Korano

Iā€™d forgotten about those - that was when i got drunk and committed suicider-cidercide, about this time last year!
It was less to do with SD and more about drink I fear :P.

Great review Rev! Definitely want to see this film now.

I watched this over the last two nights. I loved it.

It IS funny how each of us on the forum can be forgiving of certain shortcomings in SOME films and be critical of the same shortcomings in another film. Iā€™m sure I am one of the forums leading practitioners of this use of the double standard.
For instance, I am often highly critical of Anthony Steffen for his wooden acting. But I just love Giovanni Cianfriglia and he is one of the most wooden pasta actors of all (Iā€™m sure he didnā€™t choose his pseudonym, Ken Wood, for that reason but it sure fits!)
So lots of thngs I might scoff at in another film, I embrace in this one. Up to, and even, the somewhat hokey ending.
For me the Reverend was spot on in his review.
Iā€™ve never been a big Craig Hill fan but I find I like him as the lothario a little more than as a hard-as-nails loner.
The gent who played Paco Iā€™d never seen before (at least that I can remember) and I thought he was just fine.
As I said, Iā€™m a big Ken Wood fan so I always appreciate him in a larger role. Is nice to see him play a good guy for once. I think this is the best part Iā€™ve seen him in. Prior to this I best liked his (evil) performance in Killer Kid. He has one of the meanest pair of eyes in Spaghettidom. They are almost reptilian in their coldness. Aside from the heavy jacket he wears throughout most of the film, he wears the exact same costume he wears in Garroneā€™s other, If You Want To Liveā€¦Shoot. In a sense his part in this was even bigger than Hillā€™s.
Rev, Iā€™m afraid I canā€™t quite share your enthusiasm for Ms. Galli. She is a hottie for sure and, donā€™t get me wrong, I do some grinding if I was in her mill but I still canā€™t find any comparison between her and the Human Habanera (you know who Iā€™m talkinā€™ about). Nice preformance though.
All in all a really enjoyable film. A very good buddy movie that, does indeed, keep you guessing until the end.
I particularly liked how at the end, as Ken Wood steps away from the bank counter, the money is already divided into threes. 8)

Thank you Rev for making it possible for me to see this. It wonā€™t likely crack my top twenty but it will go on my shelf of favorites. ;D

Could finally watch this movie thanks to our Reverend
A bit of bizarre experience. The first half of the movie only occasinally feels like a spaghetti western; if they had shown me the film without any introductory info, I wouldā€™ve said it was an obscure production from some eastern European country, Rumania maybe, or Yugoslavia. A second-hand spaghetti, so to speak. Just when I thought I was wathing one of the corniest genre examples ever, the film picked up, somewhere halfway, with some furious gunplay and the inevitable barroom brawl. Somehow the direction or the script managed to get me interested in the giallo like story about who raped the now comatose Fletcher girl and killed her father.

The film was made before the directorā€™s famous Django Il Bastardo, but released afterwards, and Garrone thinks itā€™s his best film. In the international version Hill was top-billed, in Italy Wood (Giovanni Cianfriglia). Filming was interrupted by an actorā€™s strike, led by no other then Gian Maria VolontĆ©.

[quote=ā€œRomaine Fielding, post:29, topic:1310ā€]The gent who played Paco Iā€™d never seen before (at least that I can remember) and I thought he was just fine.

ā€¦ in Garroneā€™s other, If You Want To Liveā€¦Shoot.[/quote]

You have seen him cos he plays Alvarez in this other one. Heā€™s also the writer of both stories for these films and shared the screen play credits with Garrone on both of these as well. Talented bloke.
And talking of talent ā€¦

Well, I can see what you mean and everythingā€™s relative here - but that dark smouldering gypsy look does it for me. And she plays a good role here with a bit of meat on it - a chance to actually act.
Iā€™ve got a feeling Iā€™ve also just seen her again in something recently (?) - but I think she was blonde this time (which wouldnā€™t be right after seeing her with dark hair:P). I couldā€™ve dreamt this of course - so Iā€™ll check what Iā€™ve watched late the last few nights and see.
Brother RF does sound a little course here regarding the ā€œgrinding in her millā€ reference but may I point out to any innocent brethren who are reading this thread that she is in a mill at one point, and Craig Hill is indeed fixing her grinding gear ā€¦ so any innuendo would be accidental - surely! :wink:

Glad you enjoyed it fellah ;).
Sometimes all I want out of a sw is a simple idea well done. it ainā€™t got a big budget, but it ainā€™t got delusions of grandeur either. It can play with the stereotypes, and within the genre expectations, but keeps it fresh as well. This one does it for me - perfectly.

[Edit: It was in Four Pistols for Trinity that I last saw Evelyn/Ida - and she is a redhead in this, mind you its got a red cast on the disc so PLLā€™s a redhead too. (Btw, looks a good film ā€¦ note to self, to get it finished). Iā€™ve seen her blonde in some others thoā€™ of course - but ā€¦ Boy!! she sure suits being a brunette most!! :-*]

Watched this one this morning with my 13 year old. Happy to report we both enjoyed it.
I canā€™t go as far as the Rev and put it in my top 20, nor even say itā€™s my favourite Garrone but it was fun from start to finish. Like Scherps, I definitely thought it improved as it went along and strangely seemed to switch its tone somewhere there. It seems like a comedy to begin with then turns decidedly more sinister as the murder is introduced. All the actors are just fine and I actually thought Piedro Tordi was a stand out. Very impressive if he was also the co writer. Iā€™m also a fan of Evelyn Stewart. She is not in the smouldering league of some of the other more celebrated minxes that grace Spaghettiland but she is always good value and has an eery coldness to her face with huge eyes and full lips which reminds me of a particular Gerry Anderson puppet character from my childhood. By the way, she looks just fine as a brunette but, unlike the Rev, I always think of her as a blonde. Adios Gringo, Django Spara Per Primo, Un Dollaro Bucati, sheā€™s a blonde in all these isnā€™t she?
Anyhow, considering the obviously very low budget it was an hour and a half well spent. Cheers Rev.

I give this 2 out of 5, my favourite Garrone is still Vendetta at Dawn.

Which everybody else hates to death. :smiley:

Some people here like it, itā€™s the only one I like of his that iā€™ve seen. Need to watch No Room to Die again though.

Ken Wood is good as ever, and viewed an upgraded widescreen T.V print which is an improvement over my previous fullscreen VHS copy. Entertaining film with alot of good Spaghetti elements, but one of those films that was lacking something for me at timesā€¦but do not know what.

Well, I rewatched this to see if it deserved to go into my recent top 20.
Hmmm, itā€™s not helped by the fact I only have the fullscreen version which is a bit ropey ā€¦ but, it still kept me fully entertained for an hour and a half. Unlike, as with Ennioo, I found it pretty much ā€˜completeā€™, and neither, as with scherp, did I find it a film of 2 halves - for me it was spaghetti through and through.
I love Ken Woods in this. He could outsquint Clint ā€¦ in fact Ken doesā€™t have eyes, just thin black lines buried beneath a frown. Evelyn Steward still smoulders for me as well.
Maybe, itā€™s a bit talky at times, and maybe itā€™s not quite as good as I remember, and maybe I could find another more deserving of my No. 18 position - but hey, it ainā€™t gonna upset those lists by being in, and so NGOBH stays until next time.

I think I am going to have to see this one, again, as I donā€™t recall much, if anything about itā€¦other than the fact that when I first viewed it a few years ago I didnā€™t think it was anything particularly good.

I will give it another view sometime after I get back from shooting people for the tourists in Tombstone, today.

Yeah, of course I have the benefit :stuck_out_tongue: of cider-tinted glasses on - it probably makes a difference. :wink:

Ha ha - shoot one for me Chris. ;D

Iā€™m gonna reprint whatā€™s jusā€™ been transpiring in the ā€˜last western threadā€¦ā€™ here cos itā€™s relevant and should be stored here as wellā€¦

Quote from: Chris_Casey on Yesterday at 11:10:59 PM
"NO GRAVES ON BOOT HILLā€“the good Reverend had been saying nice things about this one for awhile, so I thought I should give it another viewing. When I first viewed itā€“roughly 10 years ago-- I thought it was pretty bad and boring, actually; but, after giving it another chance I found liked it a bit better. Still wouldnā€™t make my Top 40 or even 50, but certainly not the boring film I had originally thought it to be."

Excellent - Itā€™s great that some of these films improve sometimes, for some of us, over time. It is probably ridiculous that this makes my Top 20, but itā€™s just that it gave me so much enjoyment on its first viewing, and it holds its place there because of the gap between what I expected and what I got .

Quote from: Silence on Yesterday at 11:44:33 PM
"No Graves has the best gun trick Iā€™ve seen in an SW this far!"

It is good, isnā€™t it. Itā€™s about as silly as Hiltonā€™s Sartana shooting that canteen of water at the beginning of Sartanaā€™s here ā€¦ Trade your pistols for a coffin but more stylishly done.
Itā€™s back to Lindbergā€™s discussion on realism - thereā€™s no way it could happen in reality - but it works in its own little multiverse.
Itā€™s second outing for me, probably didnā€™t make it as good as I remember it. The context of seeing it had changed - but I still recommend it, as one of the fresher lighter (yet ocassionally brutal) spaghettiā€™s, to one and all.