Need help finding this movie

Hi everyone,
I could use your help finding an old western I saw many years ago. It starred Kirk Douglas (I think) as the ‘bad’ guy (or it could have been Jack Palance). At the end of the movie, he is in a classic style gun duel and he gets shot, twirls his gun and puts it back in the holster and then falls to the ground and dies. Any ideas?
Would appreciate any help.

[quote=“sabzi, post:1, topic:2274”]Hi everyone,
I could use your help finding an old western I saw many years ago. It starred Kirk Douglas (I think) as the ‘bad’ guy (or it could have been Jack Palance). At the end of the movie, he is in a classic style gun duel and he gets shot, twirls his gun and puts it back in the holster and then falls to the ground and dies. Any ideas?
Would appreciate any help.

If it was instead Burt Lancaster, then you are looking for Vera Cruz

Almost certainly. It’s a great moment! 8) :stuck_out_tongue:
(an’ altho it t’aint the one - Palance’s death in The Mercenery is pretty darn good as well.)

I think it’s the one with Johnny Cash, and Kirk Douglas with a final duel in a Bullfight Arena

if it that is it’s called:

A Gunfight from 1971 directed by Lamont Johnson (and it’s not with Jack Palance)

A good movie by the way

“I walk the line Because you’re mine”

Only thing though in A Gunfight in the end duel Kirk Douglas does not twirl his gun, he just falls down dead .

Here it is …

Ok, first of all I want thank everybody for their input. It’s much appreciated.
However, I just watched the Vera Cruz clip on YouTube and it’s not the film I’m looking for. In Vera Cruz, Lancaster is shown twirling his gun from a long distance, but in the film I’m looking for, the guy is shown much closer and there is even a closeup of his hand twirling the gun. Also, the look and feel of the movie was not as old as Vera Cruz. I’m guessing it was from the seventies. Also, the duel happened in a town’s main street, not a bullfighting arena or anywhere like that. I seem to remember the ‘good’ guy and ‘bad’ guy being old friends but on the opposite sides of the law. Hope that helps.

This is a guess but if you are sure it was Kirk Douglas was it " The Last Sunset" (1961) directed by Robert Aldrich with Kirk Douglas and Rock Hudson.

I was thinking maybe it could be Posse. Made in 1975 so maybe fits your timeframe better, Kirk wears black and, I believe gets his come uppance in a street scene. Don’t remember if he does the gun twirly thing or not.

Could it be that one?

If it’s not Posse (kirk direct the movie itself) I can’t see another one for the timeframe Bruce Dern it’s recognizible in almost all his films.
Maybe the War Wagon from 1967, but that one is with John Wayne. I do not remember the ending of that one and could be tottaly rong on this one

Ok, I watched Posse and it’s not the film I’m looking for at all. At this point, I’m beginning to think maybe it wasn’t Douglas and the film might be from the 80s. But I’m sure the actors were pretty famous and ‘old school’ acting veterans, whoever they were, not the youngish hollywood brats that got famous more recently.
Another possibility is that it was a colorized/modernized version of an old film, but I haven’t been able to identify it yet.

If the movie is from the 80’s the scene could have been from SILVERADO :wink:

Nope, not Silverado either.
Now I’m thinking it might be a film called ‘Draw’ but I haven’t managed to see it yet.

Spartacus

At this point I even thought of Cocaine Cowboys.

But myy last guess is The Hatfields and the McCoys from 1975 only with Jack Palance, I saw it on TV a few (long ) years ago but I can’t remember how it ends it’s only with Jack Palance, and Steve Forrest shure is old school.