Navajo Joe (Sergio Corbucci, 1966)

(Silvanito) #101

Yeah, we always knew there was something wrong with your brain Stanton :smiley:

Anyway, the scenes at night when Joe steals back the locomotive are not so exciting, but the other scenes where he fights Duncan’s men are great with cool camera angles and action

The music is a classic, and the yelling is mostly in the main theme, there are many other parts of the score that are more delicate.

(Stanton) #102

My brain is fine

(scherpschutter) #103

Like I said, it’s a stricktly personal opinion, and I’m not an expert on soundtracks (or music in general)

That’s another way of saying it. I think these scenes (and those involving his liberation by the banjo player and his girls) aren’t up to the scratch.

I understand why critics and moviegoers weren’t very fond of the movie when it was first released; I didn’t like it either when I first saw it, in the 70s, during a late night showing in Eindhoven. I still remember I thought it was a ‘fake Indian western’, with Indians that liooked as realistic as Coca Cola’s Santa Claus. Today this doesn’t bother me any more, I don’t know why. I guess that, back then, when people said that a movie wasn’t ‘authentic’ they also meant to say (probably without realizing it) that it didn’t look like an American western. That might have been my idea too: this was an indian western that didn’t look like the Indian western I knew

(Spaghetti Monkey) #104

Goin’ on about 4 years for me.

(ENNIOO) #105

When I first viewed many years ago…this is the main thing I liked.

(chuck connors brother) #106

I love this movie, don’t know why i’ve overlooked it for so long. First time I saw it i was annoyed that the Japanese audio was so much better than the english, stupidly switching between the tracks while it was running ruined it for me.

(I...I...Idiot) #107

Getting over Burt’s hair or even the fact that he was slightly Native American was the hardest thing to get over. It’s the main reason why I waited so long to see it. It’s a good sw but the score moves it up a few rungs on the ladder for me. The excessive screaming gets on my nerves in a few parts but overall the score in intense. I love the story of Sergio Corbucci stranding Burt in no man’s land to find his way back. Maybe it was payback for signing on thinking he was working with the other Sergio.

(scherpschutter) #108

I’ll change the text about the Leone score a little; I rewatched (or better: relistened) parts of the movie last night, and I admit that some parts of the score (often variations on the main theme) are intense. It’s this excessive yelling that was irritating me. I didn’t even like the yelling in the GBU score (which is, of course, otherwise pure magic), but here it’s far worse.

Maybe Lindberg has an idea for an improved text on the score (?)

(Silvanito) #109

At least many seem to like the score even if it’s ‘kitschy’ to you Scherp :wink:

Just write that you personally are not so fond of it

(scherpschutter) #110

[quote=“Lindberg, post:109, topic:74”]At least many seem to like the score even if it’s ‘kitschy’ to you Scherp :wink:

Just write that you personally are not so fond of it[/quote]

Are you sure you don’t want to do it …? You won’t get another opportunity … :wink:

(I...I...Idiot) #111

na-va-jo joe na-va… AARGH! Somebody help get this theme song out of my head!

(ENNIOO) #112

Will beer(s) do the trick or make things worse ?

(I...I...Idiot) #113

I’ve already had 2 so -na-va-jo-NO! :slight_smile:

(ENNIOO) #114

Well my friend it looks like you are Shit out of luck :slight_smile: .

(Silence) #115

As you might know I’m a huge fan of Corbucci but I haven’t seen this movie! So, what version do you think I should buy, guys?

(Bill san Antonio) #116

[quote=“Silence, post:115, topic:74”]As you might know I’m a huge fan of Corbucci but I haven’t seen this movie! So, what version do you think I should buy, guys?[/quote]forthcoming Koch Media release will probably be the best one.

(Silence) #117

Thanks.

(I...I...Idiot) #118

Be on the lookout for one of the worst horse falls in any sw.

(ENNIOO) #119

I wll be on the lookout for sure.

(Dillinger) #120

When exactly can we see this fall?