Navajo Joe (Sergio Corbucci, 1966)

I like it but itā€™s certainly not one of my favorites !!! It has its moments though !!!

I find this film hugely entertaining.

It is Corbucci at his gritty best, and stands up just as good as his perhaps more bigger budget spaghetti westerns.
But, like alot of thngs in life I guess its down to personal taste.

There are so many things to enjoy:

Morriconeā€™s superb music.

Burt Reynolds in a role which does not involve him laughing or acting stupid.

The kill rate is really high, and some good death scenes.

A real mean bad guy.

There are many stories about this film, like Burt getting paid wth a wad of cash, but that all adds to the interest.

The widescreen camera work is superb, well at least in my Japanese DVD release of this film.

i watched a comedy on tv last night called ā€œELECTIONā€ and quite a few times during the film the Navajo Joe soundtrack comes on

This is the best non-Leone spaghetti Iā€™ve seen so far. Navajo Joe is a really great part by Reynolds, the other acting is from ok. to good(Aldo Sanbrell), the action is great and it has one of the best scores I know. There are so many breath-taking scenes in this film, so many great moments. Especially the first hour or so is amazing. The ending is still good but just not as special as the first hour. And maybe most importantly the camera-work is great, not only does it look beautiful, it so addā€™s to the greatnes of the character of Navajo Joe. First you have this big wide-screen filled entirely with baddies, in the next shot itā€™s just Joe riding towards themā€¦ 9+/10

Glad you enjoyed it too Earl

Navajo Joe is underrated I think, itā€™s a simple film and a couple of scenes are maybe a little silly, but apart from this itā€™s really exciting and well made by Corbucci in all areas.

Great cast and score!

To me itā€™s much better than for example Django and even Companeros

Should have had a region 1 or 2 release already!

Oh for sure :).

Check the dvd news topic, amigo :slight_smile: Your wishes may be heard soon.

I did :wink:

Yeah I just noticedā€¦ :slight_smile: Lets hope it DOES get out when the time comesā€¦

Any doubts?

Apparently it hasnā€™t officially been confirmed yet, but it figures here: http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/ ā€¦ Also I donā€™t trust these big dvd companies that much when it comes to keeping release-promises.

WESTERNS (5/13): NAVAJO JOE (Burt Reynolds and Ennio Morricone's screaming banshee soundtrack)

They had better be serious about this :cry:

If they donā€™t Iā€™m sure every board member will donate a dollar for every MGM-executive you take down :slight_smile:

Actually this is not one of my favourite Corbucciā€™s at all. Maybe itā€™s Burt Reynolds, Iā€™m not sure. But it does have Nicoletta Machiavelli in a strong role and Aldo Sambrell so if MGM do the right thing I will definitely be making a purchase. Well, I bought Godā€™s Gun for Peteā€™s sake. I couldnā€™t not get this one!

Do you prefer The Mercenary and/or CompaƱeros then?

Yes, both. Although Companeros is my favourite of those two and The Great Silence is my favourite Corbucci of all. Iā€™m not sure what it was about Navajo Joe that disappointed me but it did. As I say, it has some great elements (Messrs Sambrell and Machiavelli to name but 2) but compared to Great Silence or Companeros it just didnā€™t make the grade for me. I do think, however, that this is partly due to the high standard Corbucci has set in some of his other films. Consequently, whenever he slips a bit (and I think he has on more than one occasion) I notice it more than if it was a Baldi film for example.

Either way, I still enjoyed it, just didnā€™t think it was as good as it should have been.

The problem is Corbucciā€™s made so many damn fine westerns so eventhough Navajo Joe is really good and way above average it also in my book probably figures as only his fifth or sixth best western after, The Mercenary, The Great Silence, Django, Vamos a matar companeros and The Hellbenders. And then thereā€™s stuff like Sonny & Jed which isnā€™t half-bad eitherā€¦ But itā€™s top-material, no doubt.

[quote=ā€œPhil H, post:57, topic:74ā€]Yes, both. Although Companeros is my favourite of those two and The Great Silence is my favourite Corbucci of all. Iā€™m not sure what it was about Navajo Joe that disappointed me but it did. As I say, it has some great elements (Messrs Sambrell and Machiavelli to name but 2) but compared to Great Silence or Companeros it just didnā€™t make the grade for me. I do think, however, that this is partly due to the high standard Corbucci has set in some of his other films. Consequently, whenever he slips a bit (and I think he has on more than one occasion) I notice it more than if it was a Baldi film for example.

Either way, I still enjoyed it, just didnā€™t think it was as good as it should have been.[/quote]

Yes, I thought you would prefer these two more and of course that is fine :).

I prefer Navajo Joe to those two, but always good to hear what other people prefer more

I think I should watch The Great Silence again. I liked it the time I saw it but I like both Navajoe Joe and The Great Silence better for sureā€¦