Navajo Joe (Sergio Corbucci, 1966)

I just watched this a few days ago and was certainly not dissapointed. It has a good soundtrack and some excellent cinematography near the beginning and the end. Although why does Burt look like more of a neanderthal than Indian? Something to do with that forehead I think. Lol.

The thing that got me is just how violent the opening scene is. It was honestly quite shocking to me. Corbucci was known for his violent openings, but I think this one takes the cake.

I actually just showed Navajo Joe to my buddy on Friday night. He really enjoyed it. I think it’s one of Corbucci’s best.

the movie it’s awesome aldo sambrell also awesome, burt reynolds looks a bit stupid as an indian

Just watched the movie again from Koch media.

They have included a booklet with the picture and as dutchmen it took some time to read it. It is written in a style that is for me a bit too much advertising.
What I liked in the booklet is that the film was inspiring for later movies of Corbucci like Great Silence: both main characters are killed at the end and almost the only help they get is from women.

I like the movie. 4 stars for me. Not a bad investment as I will watch it more often.

Burt Reynolds, is the reason why i don’t like this Spaghetti that much. If it had Charles Bronson in that role, it would be in the top 20 for sure.

^ Never thought about that, but yeah Bronson would have been a great choise.

Perfect choice. It doesn’t mean Reynolds is bad, but well… Bronson is Bronson. :wink:

I was pleasantly surprised by this one. I put this one off for a long time, I’d seen every other Corbucci Western before this one. Finally got around to it and found it to be pretty solid, but definitely in the “B-Team” of the Spaghetti West. I was relieved when I noticed Burt Reynolds dialogue would be kept to a minimum…god that makeup is awful. But it’s got a great, rousing score (that title theme has to be one of Morricone’s best songs ever), the villains are seriously sinister and has some sharp directing from Corbucci.

I found that Japanese poster of Navajo Joe in a better condition and replaced the old one with it at the database. It has definitely much better colours. :slight_smile:
I just love those Japanese SW posters!!! :smiley:
Who agrees?

[quote=“Salty Jim, post:209, topic:74”]I just love those Japanese SW posters!!! :smiley:
Who agrees?[/quote]

Like them alot yes. The Thai ones are sometimes interesting aswell.

Thai ones? I’m not sure if I’ve seen any…

burt reynolds looks a bit stupid as an indian

Isn’t he half Seminole?

Nope. Cherokee. :slight_smile:

We had a conversation last week about Burt Reynolds and his opinion about Navajo Joe.
So, I found the passages I meant from Hughes’s Once Upon a Time in the Italian West:

Burt Reynolds famously described Navajo Joe as: "So awful it was shown only in prisons and aeroplanes because nobody could leave. I killed ten thousand guys, wore a Japanese slingshot and fright wig." Reynolds contempt for the film provided with endless anecdotes for interviews and chat shows throughout his career, though his opinion of the film is rather unfair. Navajo Joe was a huge European hit and one of Sergio Corbucci's best movies. Reynolds has mellowed and now he wryly recalls his time in Italy and Spain shooting his first, and last, Italian western. (p. 82)
Reynolds's virile performance is one of his best, though he often singles it out as his worst. (p.88)

The Thai version of “My name is Pecos”. All protagonists are dubbed in Thai by the same guy. Great fun to watch! The one and only Thai release I own so far. Cover looks not bad IMO:

Ha! Like the Russian movie dubs! :stuck_out_tongue:

Here the poster I meant:

A Thai poster in my collection for Django Shoots First:

Like the colors on that one

It’s cool! :slight_smile:

[quote=“Salty Jim, post:216, topic:74”]Here the poster I meant:
[/quote]

Yep, you are right - I like this one! It puts an emphasis on Aldo Sambrell’s character Duncan. Duncan is a much deeper and more impressive character than the shallow “Joe” played by Burt Reynolds.

I agree! From where do I get such gems like your poster, autephex? Ebay?