Navajo Joe (Sergio Corbucci, 1966)

Is there any difference between Koch and US dvd releases in picture quality/audio?

Have the DVD for so long but only watched this week, like Iā€™ve seen it before there were other priorities.
Not the best Corbucci, but a pretty nice straightforward type of film. Just in a sudden Reynolds besides Eastwood must have been the most successful actor that made SW, well one the most for sure. By that time I guess i was used to be a Indian, I think heā€™s perfect for the part. Not much political stuff going around here (apart for the prejudice agaisnt Indians or Native American issues), just normal western stuff with some extra violence in the mix, being a Dino de Laurentiis prodution must have helped.
I liked Sambrell and Reynolds they do a very good job, the diference to other films and were we can see that Corbucci wasnā€™t just another one on the job, itā€™s the way the final showdown itā€™s filmed.
The film goes so fast that seems itā€™s shorter than it is, also one of the best use of the filming locations Iā€™ve seen in a SW, other thing I only recognized Fernando Rey in this view, no moustache (and read te credits this time ).
Well entertaining stuff and a good job from Reynolds.

The main theme itā€™s very cool, I went the all day after seing it NAVAVAJO, JOE NAVAJO JOE still doing it NAVAJO JOE NAVAJO JOE

I donā€™t understand why Burt hates this movie; I thought it was action packed.

I think his hate for the movie comes more from the way he was treated during filming, rather than the actual quality of the movie.

I agree though, it is very action-packed and features some of Morriconeā€™s best work, and in my opinion, itā€™s up there with Corbucciā€™s other westerns. In fact I prefer it to Django and The Great Silence, which Iā€™m sure places me in the minority.

Not sure about quality as havenā€™t directly compared the two (canā€™t say I noticed anything on independent viewings), however Koch have fixed the audio gaffe with the music in the introductory scene.

Haha Navajo Joe. I like to call him the mascot of Spaghetti movies.

easy one of the best spaghettis and the best role for aldo sambrell!!

Agreed. It certainly is one of the more underrated spaghettis and I love Sambrell as Duncan. Although his acting was a little much at times ā€“ he really wanted to know where that money was ā€“ he did a great job as the ruthless bandit.

What is Burt Reynolds so ashamed about? This movie rocks.

Is he not more chilled about the film these days ?

I have no idea all I know is that he mentioned that he regrets doing the film at some point. I never really cared for Burt Reynolds and Iā€™m not surprised that heā€™s bashing his arguably best role but WHY?

Yeah its strange. Like why is Jennifer Connelly so ashamed of Phenomena? Its one of her best films in my not so humble opinion.

She probably saw the US version when it was released, unbelievable that they cut out 30 minutes.

Christ I canā€™t blame her if thatā€™s the case. I only saw the uncut version and I thought it was paced beautifully. 30 minutes shorter? Damn.

A first-class SW with an absolutely exceptional first part and a memorable villain!

Navajo Joeā€™s making wasnā€™t exactly a very fun experience, neither for Burt, Corbucci and others involved. Burt had the idea that he was going to work for Leone, not Corbucci. This one was also expecting a different actor, you also have to remember that Corbucci was seen as a cheap b-movie director in his own country, and until some recent years many of his movies were still consider rather low quality products. For many the only SW worth talking about are the ones Leone made, and thatā€™s it. Most hollywood critics at the time saw SW as some form of invasion, and bashed many now-classics, including Leone flicks.

Last thing i read was that Burt wasnā€™t so bitter about this one anymore. Considering some truly unspeakable bad movies he has done in his career, Navajo Joe stands way above many of those flicks.

Surprisingly it has taken me ten years of SW fandom to actually watch this movie and as I had reasonably high expectations, I was disappointed. Technically the film is well put together, well directed, nicely photographed, great locations (Corbucci always seems to find the best locations) but nothing special. I found the film never really took off, the subversive idea of a town who paid for Indian scalps now paying an Indian for white scalps wasnā€™t developed at all. Burt Reynolds moves great, clearly doing his own stunts (was he perviously a stuntman?) but otherwise he does very little, he just looks smug and isnā€™t very engaging.

I also was a little underwhlemed with Aldo Sambrellā€™s turn as Duncan but I think the part was badly written and dubbed. Great music and theme song though!

Corbucci, as usual, plays on his particular set of tropes so all of his movies can seem a little derivative of each other but he did come up with one or two very nice moments amongst all of the generally under-powered scenes (Iā€™m thinking of the axe throwing moment and the last shots of the pony).

The KOCH Blu-Ray is nice but unspectacular looking, the source print looks to have the red-degrading problem common to Eastmancolor. The extra menus are mis-authored so you get the opposite featurette to the one you select and Nora Corbucci is identified as the wife of the filmā€™s director, Bruno Corbucci! No English subtitles on the extras unfortunately.

love that axe/shooting scene in the end - great editing and camera angles

Navajo Joe was one of those Corbucci movies which I hadnā€™t seen before so I watched this couple days ago. I liked Morriconeā€™s brilliant soundtrack and visually this looks great too. The plot isnā€™t actually very surprising but I liked the fact that thereā€™s an indian main character. One thing that I didnā€™t like was Burt Reynoldā€™s acting on this one. It just felt like Reynolds wasnā€™t the right choice for the main role and it shows on some scenes. All in all itā€™s quite easy to see why this isnā€™t usually rated higher than Corbucciā€™s classics like Companeros, Django or The Great Silence but that doesnā€™t mean Navajo Joe is just an average SW because this movie definitely has itā€™s moments.

3,5/5 stars from me.

[quote=ā€œJude, post:199, topic:74ā€]Navajo Joe was one of those Corbucci movies which I hadnā€™t seen before so I watched this couple days ago. I liked Morriconeā€™s brilliant soundtrack and visually this looks great too. The plot isnā€™t actually very surprising but I liked the fact that thereā€™s an indian main character. One thing that I didnā€™t like was Burt Reynoldā€™s acting on this one. It just felt like Reynolds wasnā€™t the right choice for the main role and it shows on some scenes. All in all itā€™s quite easy to see why this isnā€™t usually rated higher than Corbucciā€™s classics like Companeros, Django or The Great Silence but that doesnā€™t mean Navajo Joe is just an average SW because this movie definitely has itā€™s moments.

3,5/5 stars from me.[/quote]
a had seen this film one 1000 times and go on
4 stars from me