My Name Is Pecos / Due once di piombo (Maurizio Lucidi, 1966)

At the moment I have only English dub, but according to various sources Ester should be Josani.

I watched this again yesterday. Koch disc looked really good which was probably biggest reason why I liked the film much more than the first time. Like said itā€™s pretty regular revenge story except for the mexican hero. My favorite character is the sleazy undertaker who looks like a scarecrow and has no any moral. Such a cool character, to me heā€™s almost like main villain in the film since the boss of the bandits isnā€™t that memorable.

My rating: 6/10

Robert Woods interview on the disc was very interesting. They go through his whole sw filmography and Woods says few thoughts about each film I think. Very interesting, I only wished it would have been bit longer and focused a bit more on some of my faves like El Puro.

1 Like

Another one of those theme songs which is a bit of a struggle to listen to :D. But this film soon picks up the pace, with only a short running time aswell. Robert Woods does a good job of not looking like Robert Woods. The Wild East print is alot better than the horrible Thai dvd.

Forgot this was on my " westerns unchained" box set, and decided to give it a view. Starring Robert Woods, as Pecos, a Mexican whoā€™s good with a pistol, rides into a town being terrorized Clane and his gang of outlaws. Clane is grim villain, who terrorizes women, and even distrusts a few of his own gang members. The final scene where Pecos confronts Clane wraps the story up pretty well ( Pecoā€™s motivations are revealed, which was my favorite part of the film.) Recommended for those who enjoy Woods in the lead role, ( which for a Mexican as a lead, is pretty interesting.) The action scenes were good, as was the dynamite scene, and the opening scene is pretty decent opening. Nothing fancy nor innovative, but entertaining, and most spaghetti fans would probably find it worth while. Probably a grade of B- only because the picture quality is so-so. I will order the wild east disc soon, which Iā€™m sure is a better print then the one I have.

I have the red Italowestern Enzyklopadie #3 set and the Wild East blu-ray/DVD and I prefer the formerā€™s PQ. My WE is in the ā€œeventually Iā€™ll sell it on ebayā€ pile.

My name is Pecos is the third SW on the Koch release I bought last week.
It is definitely a typical spaghetti-western. The mix of ingredients is more in my taste than in the SW I watched a couple of days ago Blood at Sundown from the same release. No boring fist fights here and no wild uncontrolled shooting.
Rather nice Italian landscapes, but with a surprising last shot from the big plains in the Tabernas Desert that had constituted the opening scene of For A Few Dollars More.

The mexican anti-hero was OK played by Robert Woods although with a bit silly eyes modification. The hypocratic undertaker (bible with hidden gun) was a funny guy. For at least my eyes Christina Iosani was a pleasant Nicoletta Machiavelli-close-look-alike who played an impontant part with a little trick to help the antihero.
Except for the title song the music was rather good.

The story was simple but entertaining and overall I got a positive impression of My Name Is Pecos, even if I after this first time am not sure if I will rate it as a strong 6 or a (in that case maybe weak) 7/10. Most likely it canā€™t reach my Top 20 SW, but maybe Top 30 (after having watched over 50 not randomly chosen SWs).

Some time since I watched it. I had it down as 6/10. Which means I liked it, too. Inside top 70 perhaps, in my book.

Working my way through Woodsā€™ westerns, I had another first watch with the PECOS flicks. Here are my thoughts on this oneā€¦Outlaw Joe Clane has had some stolen gold go missing. He and his gang are hanging out in the lawless Houston until they can turn it up. Enter Robert woods as Pecos, a Mexican gunslinger and champion of the down-trodden. Cristina Iosani is gorgeous as the Bar Girl who helps Pecos out. Good fun. 6/10

Surprised so many people seem to feel lukewarm on this one. From the first shot, I knew it was going to be one of my favorites. The acting was some of the best Iā€™ve seen, not just in the main characters but in some of the secondary roles as well. Umberto Raho did particularly well as the unscrupulous undertaker.
The extreme violence combined with the bedraggled wardrobes and setting also kind of reminded me of Django. Though, to be honest, I think My Name is Pecos will beat it out on my top twenty list.

3 Likes

I love My Name is Pecos and I even love itā€™s silly sequel. I think the main reason people feel lukewarm to it is the lack of iconic moments. While it is a solid film thereā€™s not really a scene that sticks out in most people memories - whereas most SWs will have that one memorable shootout or duel that you instantly think of when you hear the name of the film.

4 Likes

Due to high competion it is ranked ā€œonlyā€ 22 on my SW Top list.

20 Sabata (Gianfranco Parolini) 1969
21 Ramon The Mexican (Maurizio Pradeaux) music Felice Di Stefano 1966
22 My Name Is Pecos (Maurizio Lucidi) music Coriolano Gori 1966
x23 Blood River/Ten White Men and One Little Indian (Gianfranco Baldanello) music Piero Umiliani 1974
24 The Return Of Ringo (Duccio Tessari) music Ennio Morricone 1965

My chosen exact order of these (all are 7/10 rated by me) might be revised though, with time. For example Sabata is favored mainy due to Van Cleef although a good story, but Robert Woods is really impressing as Pecos and the general mood in My Name Is Pecos attractes me more.

2 Likes

My fourth and final watch of the Massacre Time set. I have already seen this one before but on my first rewatch I think I enjoyed it even more. Arrowā€™s transfer looks gorgeous and the audio is much better than the Wild East release, allowing me to properly enjoy the soundtrack which sounds great (I also really love Pecosā€™ them ā€œThe Ballad of Pecosā€). Woods is awesome as usual and I love how quickly and smoothly the plot goes - it never feels like it drags or overstays it welcome. I still stand by my earlier comment that it doesnā€™t really have an ā€˜iconic momentā€™ - although my two favourite scenes are the opening kill after Pecos reloads from his hat and when Pecos is strangling Clane at the end with his crazy eyes.

2 Likes

I love My Name is Pecos

Hah, shouldā€™ve figured from your avatar Supertwix. Thatā€™s a great point about there being no standout moment, I have trouble recalling one myself. I tend to value characters a lot more in Spaghetti Westerns, though, which may explain why I like Pecos so much. The graveyard scene in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is arguably perfect, but when I hear the name Tucoā€™s slimy grin is what comes to mind.

1 Like

I can understand that. Iā€™m personally more of a Sartana guy, but I can easily see why Sabata would rank higher on a lot of peopleā€™s lists.

I think this played a big part in why I enjoyed it, as well. Something about the movie reminded me of Fistfull of Dollars which is my third favorite Leone film.
As an aside, havenā€™t heard of Ramon the Mexican or Blood River but your high ranking has piqued my interest.

They are probably relatively highly rated by me, for partly different reasons but the music is very good and important for me in both of them.

1 Like

music is very good

I donā€™t know much about music, but when a Spaghetti Western has a great soundtrack, I also find it can really elevate my opinion of it.

1 Like

I actually rate this movie very highly. As others have said here itā€™s low-budget and no-frills, but the result is rough-edged authenticity rather than disposable trash. Perhaps it says something that both Koch and Arrow have opted to give it the special treatment.

I do, though, find the Pecos/Jonny Madoc factor weirds me out utterly, because

1. Even the film sounds confused in that German dubbed version. Elsewhere Pecos follows his opening kill with some translation or other (I guess) of ā€œMy name is Pecosā€, upon which the title song crashes in with - surprise - ā€œBehold a man called Pecosā€. (I love that song - somehow itā€™s derivative, dire - ā€œassassins lay to restā€??" - and dazzling all at once). But in the German version on Koch, he does indeed say ā€œIch heiƟe Jonny Madocā€ - and then the title song STILL crashes in with ā€œBehold a man called Pecosā€. Why does he have two names? Should I worry?
  2. And - the big question - why do the Germans call him something Welsh? If youā€™re called Jonny Madoc you have to be Welsh somewhere down the line. There is no alternative.
  3. So what weā€™ve got is a Welsh guy out for revenge on the murderers of his family, called Martinez.
  4. Can this get freakier? Of course it can. Evidently a medieval Welsh prince called Madoc sailed to America 300 years before Columbus, liked the look of it, shot home to bring back some Welsh colonists and this time round landed in ā€œMexicoā€. This must be true, because itā€™s in a book somewhere. It proves conclusively that Pecos aka Madoc is the descendant of Welsh-speaking native Americans.

I cannot deal with this. It is unreal, I am deranged, and it is now 5:30 a.m. I need to take a hot shower and go to sleep.

Delirium apart, though - why Jonny Madoc in Germany? Just curious.

4 Likes

Watched this one for the first time the other night and enjoyed it. Probably the weakest Woods spag of the five Iā€™ve seen, as well as the weakest in the Vengeance Trails set, because itā€™s pretty routine but I enjoyed Woods, the main villain, the locations and the music.

Edit: Sorry if this has been mentioned before but surely I canā€™t be the only one who thinks they got the title track from House of the Rising Sun?

I rank it high and as the second best Robert Woods SW of those that I have watched, according to my SW Top list :

17 El Puro/The Rewardā€™s Yoursā€¦ The Manā€™s Mine (Edoardo Mulargia) music Alessandro Alessandroni 1969 (8/10 rating)

22 My Name Is Pecos (Maurizio Lucidi) music Coriolano Gori 1966 (7/10 rating)

39 Challenge Of The Mckennas/A Dollar and a Grave (LeĆ³n Klimovsky) music Francesco De Masi 1970 (7/10 rating)

48 Black Jack (Gianfranco Baldanello) 1968 (7/10 rating)

60 When The Devil Holds A Gun/Colt In The Hand Of The Devil (Gianfranco Baldanello) 1973 (6/10 rating)

62 Pecos Cleans Up (Maurizio Lucidi) music Coriolano Gori 1967 (6/10 rating)

Regarding the title track it resembles the traditional folk song House of the Rising Sun, much more than could be just coincidental. Maybe this version with its alterations suits My Name Is Pecos better, even if I as standalone music prefer the Animals version of this very old tune.

1 Like

I think Iā€™d rank the ones Iā€™ve seen like this:

1. Gatling Gun (although Iā€™m probably alone on that with the exception of Tarantino)

2. El Puro

3. Blackjack

4. Starblack

5. ā€¦Pecos

Good to know Iā€™m not the only one who thinks the themeā€™s so similar to House ofā€¦ It reminded me of Bob Dylanā€™s version (the arrangement originally coming from Dave Van Ronk) more than The Animalsā€™.

1 Like