My Name Is Nobody / Il mio nome è Nessuno (Tonino Valerii, Sergio Leone, 1973)

I don’t completely disagree with you. However, the shootout didn’t need to be particularly violent…I mean, there are a lot of fantastic exchanges w/ guns throughout the film that fit into the tone.

Don’t like slapstick westerns, they should all be all in a class of their own.

Didn’t somebody bring out an edited version of Star Wars:The Phantom Menace with the incredibly annoying Jar Jar Binks completely removed? I wonder if the same could be done to Hills slapstick antics in My Name Is Nobody without ruining the story?

Yes, I also think that My Name Is Nobody would benefit from a slight recutting. Some of the slapstick scenes could be trimmed, especialy the ones which include fast motion. These scenes were important for the commercial success in the days of the film’s release, but now they seem to be a bit out of place. It’s obvious that not all of the funny scenes are necessary for the continuity of the story.

Nevertheless, it’s an often wonderful picture with many sequences which belong to the best ever in the world of western.

Hey, and Valerii is not the creative force behind Nobody, he has made nothing which is nearly as good as the highlights of this film. I consider My Name Is Nobody as Leone’s last effort in the realm of Spaghetti Westerns. A fitting and elegiac departure for the King.
Sob

1 Like

“My Name Is Nobody” WOW! my 2nd favourite Spaghetti Western of all time. So ok, it is a little patchy in places, perhaps to be expected with two creative geniuses in the directors seat, but still a wonderful work of film art. Full of twists and turns, you never know what “Nobody’s” real intentions are until right at the end. Got the German Paramount 2 disc DVD set, the interview with Terrence Hill is very enlightening. Leone wanted to put the “Trinity” character in a serious setting, Hill’s portrayal of “Nobody” is exemplary, watch his expression change to DEADLY SERIOUS every time “Jack Beauregard” pushes him just TOO far. The scene with the train driver in the toilet is hilarious and typically Leone’s, apparently improvised by Hill and Leone themselves. Morricone yet again enhances the humour, suspense and fear with great music, although some scenes seem to use traditional Mexican tunes. The print used for this DVD has been beautifully restored, but still has a few glitches on the transfer most noticeably 19m43s into the film.
If you are watching this film for the first time you are in for a real treat, I envy you.

[attachment older than 600 days, deleted by admin]

Why the picture of Benny Hill?

Because of some of the slapstick?

Valerii a genius? Creative? Apart from Nobody in his better moments a craftsman, otherwise a poor man’s Leone.
There’s only one genius in the whole world of Spaghetti Western, maybe two.

Benny Hill played a character called The Halitosis Kid, I haven’t worked out how to get the picture for my ID yet.

Leone was a creative genius, Valerii perhaps thought himself to be one. I agree, Leone was so far ahead of everyone else in the genre he’s a tough act to follow.

Interesting statepoint.

Click on the profile button and then Forum Profile Information. There you can upload the picture or choose the picture from web.

Benny Hill is one of my favorite comedy shows, great stuff!

Yea. Before the politicaly correct brigade ruined British comedy. I also love Dick Emery and the Alf Garnet sitcoms.

Not forgetting “Love thy neighbour”, Eddie Booth gave Alf Garnet a right run for his money in the bigoted stakes.

No way could they make it now ;D

Click on the profile button and then Forum Profile Information. There you can upload the picture or choose the picture from web.
Cheers for the info Bill but the problem seems to be with my browser I'm a MAC user and despite having tried both Safari and Internet Explorer I'm unable to upload my ID pic. No worries though, I'll figure a way. I'm taking this thread totally off subject, I apologise.
its also coming out in 2 months in france with evena valerii audio commentary...
I wonder if the commentary will have English subtitles, might be quite revealing. There's so much differing information on how much input Leone actually had in the making of this film. I personally think he had a lot, anyone familiar with his work will see his signature all over it.

did we mention that Sprint’s new commercial features this movie? they’re kinda like comparing their network to cingular’s and showing Nobody slapping the other guy really fast, and that’s how “fast” their connection is… hilarious

here it is:

I thought that was Trinity in the commerical. Ah well.

It’s surprising to me that they were able to get Fonda in for this one, although I guess maybe not considering OUATITW. He was great here too, although not the same level of greatness.

I like the Terence Hill. It’s great when spaghettis can make fun of themselves.

I love the soundtrack to this movie.

Yes, lovely soundtrack, especially the Special Edition version of the soundtrack.

Great funny movie with very good soundtrack and great actors, what more can I say :slight_smile:

I just watched it again for the first time in several years.

I think that the only problem I have with the movie is the flip-flopping between light-hearted moments and the serious parts. Having said that it’s a valuable part of the SW genre though, I wouldn’t suggest cutting it to make it a more “serious” film, even though the more serious films are my own preference.

I give it 3 stars out of 5. Glad I watched it again but it can sit on my shelf for a few years now. :wink:

“My Name is Nobody” is a good SW, not great. The movie had to be made though to capitalize on Terence Hill’s(and Trinity’s) popularity at the time. Trinity was big at the box office back in the early '70s. It could have been better(less Wild Bunch) but I’m just glad they made the movie.