My Horse, My Gun, Your Widow / Tu fosa será la exacta … amigo (Juan Bosch, 1972)

Domani passo a salutare la tua vedova… parola di Epidemia
Tu fosa será la exacta… amigo
My Horse… My Gun… Your Widow
(Spain, Italy 1972 / Director: Juan Bosch)

Database page: https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Domani_passo_a_salutare_la_tua_vedova…_parola_di_Epidemia

Pretty routine gold chase spaghetti… Reminded me a lot of a Sartana film, with Craig Hill playing a gentlemanly swindler and constant double crossing between the characters. Lots of attempted comedy, including some strange moments like Hill tickling his opponent in the middle of a fight. I thought it was very strange seeing Hill playing this character, and was too talky for my taste.

Not a lot of action, but the action scenes were handled well, when they did happen.

Kept thinking of Claudio Camaso from 10,000 Blood Money when seeing the Carrasco character, and Hill reminded me a lot of Franco Nero.

The ending completely goes off from the rest of the plot and includes a little civil war slideshow of art, obviously because they couldn’t think of or afford to do anything better, and a steam engine motorcycle contraption.

Wasn’t a horrible outing, but I can’t say that I liked it much

Most of Bosch’s westerns are very routine but he made few good ones. I think this is his second best after God In Heaven… Arizona On Earth. I wonder if Hill’s character was modelled after Garko’s Holy Ghost? Like Garko, Hill has a moustache and he wears all-white clothes. Both film also have very similar Italian titles:

Uomo avvisato mezzo ammazzato… parola di Spirito Santo (1971)
Domani passo a salutare la tua vedova… parola di Epidemia (1972)

Music is recycled from Arizona Colt Returns but actually fits this film better.

I agree that the Civil War ‘slideshow’ was a very bad idea, the film should have ended 5 minutes before it.

I’d give this 3 stars. Not a great film but entertaining.

Just viewed this one again. Hill romps through the Spaghetti west in this not to serious film. Forgot this was the one where Hill rides a cycle, as was getting confused with another Hill western where he thinks his horse is a motorcycle.

Remember reading somewhere ( may have been in another thread ) about Hill walking off the set of a 70’s western. This got me thinking about Spaghetti western stars who seemed to perhaps cope a little better on how the Spaghetti west started to lean more towards comedy in the 70’s on the whole. Spencer and Hill are obvious examples of course.

I enjoyed this a lot more than I expected although it is far from anything great. It is light hearted for the most part rather than a flat out comedy and apart from the occasional silliness avoids the kind of slapstick I really dislike. Hill suits the role quite well I thought and is probably more convincing here than in some of his more serious roles.

As mentioned above the music is recycled from Arizona Colt Returns and although recycled music is not uncommon in some of these later, lower budget affairs it is still beyond me why anyone would opt to reuse a song that goes “Bing bang, beng bong, giddyup eeyay” for any reason at all. Still, as Silver Wolf says, it does strangely seem to fit this movie better somehow.
Not a classic by any means but an OK time passer if you enjoy a load of double crossing, gold chasing and occasional silliness. In fact some of the jokes even made me smile.

On a separate note, on checking the database I was surprised to see we have Ignazio Spalla listed as appearing in this film in the role of ‘Dog’. This is clearly an error and, on checking Giusti’s Dizionario and imdb, seems to be a pretty consistant one, although Giusti has him down as playing Louis Donovan. Either way, Spalla is definitely not in this flick in any capacity.

So I put my detective head on (I actually get a geeky kick out of these little cross reverencing investigations) and believe I have figured out the basis for the recurring error. According to the credits on the version of the film I have there is an actor in the film, in a reasonably major role as he was billed quite high up, called Pedro Maria Sanchez. As we all know, Ignazio Spalla was often billed as Pedro Sanchez. I suspect that someone, somewhere along the line, (presumably someone who never actually saw the film or recognised anyone involved) has assumed that these are one and the same person. They’re not. However, Pedro Maria Sanchez was new to me too so I scanned the old interweb thingy for images that might help nail him down and believe I found him here:

He seems to go more commonly under the name of Pedro Mari Sanchez these days and has become a pretty well respected and serious theatre actor. (Maybe some of our Iberian members will recognise hime more than me) He is obviously older in these photos but on comparing him to the guy who plays Lou Donovan in the film I think this is definitely the guy.

So…to put things straight, I believe that “Dog” is played by Rosario Borelli not Ignazio Spalla and that “Lou Donovan” is played by Pedro Maria Sanchez not by Borelli and that Ignazio Spalla is not in the thing at all. If anyone disagrees shout out. If not, I’ll be changing the database accordingly today.

With a wiki based site I know these things can easily happen and that’s why we have editors but it still amazes me how often mistakes like this sit unnoticed for so long and how easily misinformation gets adopted as a result. Giusti’s book, for example, is very good indeed but the more I check, the more errors I find, specifically in the cast lists, and I can only presume that he copied his info from an unreliable source himself. For us, the lesson is to be even more vigilant as I know from recent experience our site is becoming seen more and more as the font of all knowledge in regards to Spaghetti information. So these days, whenever I watch a film, I check our page for it and check the info as best I can.

Good man

It´s not awful, but still pretty bad. It´s the kind of comedy I don´t like, with the tickling, stealing of bikes, hanging upside down and whatnot. Craig Hill does a lousy Garko impersonation and Chris Huerta is no Fernando Sancho either. Not much action and not much fun. Very routine, with music that in my opinion does not fit at all, a combination of some Sartana score and the Arizona Colt Returns theme. 4,5/10

Version watched:

I have some sympathy for that sequence, it is certainly much better than watching Craig Hill riding a yellow bike… On the Italian Database it has been suggested that My Horse… My Gun… Your Widow was directed by film editor Ignacio Iquino, but interestingly in another Juan Bosch western (And the Crows Will Dig Your Grave) there is a brief, similar sequence immediately after the opening credits.

A man hanging upside down and a knife offered by… Claudie Lange. A reference to Vengeance is Mine?

Voilà, a French impressionist painter at work in the West and our hero doing the Tour de Bike, not in France by the way, but also in the West

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/My_Horse,_My_Gun,_Your_Widow_Review

1 Like

Some familiar faces in this one, among others, this hard-drinking suicidal safecracker…

Now all Juan Bosch westerns har a review at the SWDB.

1 Like

I rewatched this after a while and I disagree with some statements here that this is a routine work. Far from it. Bosch’s direction is focused, soundtrack superb (I especially like the theme song), story quite unpredictable, killings are only few, but abrupt and well handled, and it’s always something interesting happening. Someone was complaining here about Craig Hill riding a bike. Why, for christsake? That’s hilarious, although no one in his right mind would exchange a horse for a bike. :smiley:

The soundtrack is taken from Arizona Colt Returns. It suits this film a lot though. From memory, it was extremely entertaining and definitely above average.

1 Like

I checked that on youtube, yep, funny thing, that I’ve seen AC Returns, but couldn’t even guess…:grin:

This film’s page in our database has been updated to the new layout, please help us improve it.