Murder/death: Gian Maria Volonte's brother Claudio Camaso

(B) #1

Hi everyone. I’m hoping to find some information on Gian Maria Volonte’s brother, Claudio Camaso (Volonte). I was very taken by his role in $10,000 Blood Money (10000 Dollari per un Massacro). After seeing that a few years ago, I looked him up online but was unable to find much.

It seems there are contradictory depictions of the events surrounding his death in 1976 and the events leading up to it.

Here on the Spaghetti database, it says he attempted murder of his girlfriend and then killed himself.

On imbd, it says he stabbed a man named Vincenzo Mazza and them hung himself in his jail cell after.

On Wikipedia, it says he accidentally killed a man (homicide) and then committed suicide after.

Very, very little info exists online (and in English) about Camaso. Would any of you Spaghetti experts have info on what happened to Camaso? Also I’d be interested in learning anything about his life in addition to the unusual and contradictory reports of the act he committed and his death. There are no details at all online. Possibly anyone who speaks Italian or is from Italy may have additional insight.

(scherpschutter) #2

I’ll do some inquiries asap

I read about his death a few years ago, but don’t remember the details. He killed himself, that’s for sure

(JonathanCorbett) #3

Two and a half years ago I posted some detailed information in the Suicidal actors thread, Replies # 92, 95, 96, 98, 103.

(B) #4

Thank you very much for that info, JonathanCorbett. So from those readings, I’m trying to piece the story together… Was it that Camaso was beating up his girlfriend in the street and that Mazza was a passerby and attempted to intervene and was then killed by Camaso? Did he beat him to death?

(JonathanCorbett) #5

Yes.

No. His friends stated in a press release that Claudio was a rather aggressive and quick-tempered guy and even a pat on the back (!) made him extremely nervous: when Mazza grabbed him by the arm attempting to restore calm Camaso - which was holding the stiletto mentioned in Reply #96 - stabbed him in the chest.