Most controversial thread ever (enter at your own risk)

I don’t mind the topic as long as the subject is no longer infesting other topics here. Saloon is meant for off-topic discussion anyway, as long as the conversation is suitable.

btw, I have made many comics about Hitler

He has crossed the line, this forum is for the SW and other things. But not this. I say again I demand it removed

Thomas Jefferson (1820):
“We are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to
tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.”

Ah, quotes.

Lindberg will like this one:

History is a set of lies agreed upon

• Napoleon Bonaparte

Or this one:

“Intellectual activity is a danger to the building of character”

Signed Mr. Joseph Goebbels

Anyone that wants this on the site. I haven’t been here long, and up until now I’ve been in love with this site. This really makes me wonder about staying. How would people feel if I made a baby Raper thread. I mean come on!

Well, let me say that this thread is not representative of our beliefs. And although those who say it should stay open for discussion have a strong point, it does seem to offend a lot of people here.

I don’t particularly like Germany’s ‘blanket ban’ attitude, and think that not allowing the questioning of ‘versions’ of history, without the threat of imprisonment, is poor - as holding a belief (unless he is actually and actively preaching hatred) cannot be curtailed by censorship imo, and may even make the situation worse. But, although I would allow people like Lindberg their right to their belief - I personally believe he’s wrong in his propositions, and wonder what he hopes to achieve here - other than winding people up.
The German censorship line is dangerous also imo - from personal exprience - I did a record cover for an indie-metal band that was about war and religion and had religious symbols that morphed into others. On it was a hindu swastika (smaller legs and reverse of Hitler’s), but it was airbrushed out (without my permission and negating the meaning) for release in Germany, so (over)sensitive are they about the swastika. Once you go down this line, their head-in-the-sand approach could also airbrush out hundreds of years of other cultural meanings (which can’t be right?) - to appease a relatively recent hijacking of the symbol.

I’m prepared for this nonsense to be aired here rather than TBG thread, but I’d rather it hadn’t polluted the forum at all. Maybe better a discussion tho’, than censorship - but that’s Seb’s call ultimately - but he may well respond to the wishes of the many. So, would that be democracy …or indeed censorship.

Please enlighten me. What is it that Lindberg has said that is so bad? As far as I can see he is only trying to draw a 3-dimensional image of Hitler as opposed to the default 2-dimensional we all run around with (very bad man) and give some more in-depth info to as to why WWII actually started and went the way it did.

But I can’t find anywhere where he defends Hitler or thinks he was a swell guy. So please tell me why I should be offended.

(Am I the only one reminded of Fawlty Towers: “Whatever you do don’t mention the war!” :slight_smile: )

Is a Hitler (or WWII)-thread off-topic (non SW-related)? You bet it is, just like 95% of the other threads in The Saloon.

So if people don’t like it they should probably just stay out of the thread. That’s what I do with the threads I have no interest in.

Or mob rule?

Lindberg has proven himself to be a valuable member of this discussion board.

The Communist body-count is much higher than Hitler’s. Do we ban that? Oh, no-- goodbye Corbucci, Damiani, Lizzani and Sollima!!

[quote=“Søren, post:30, topic:2465”]Is a Hitler (or WWII)-thread off-topic (non SW-related)? You bet it is, just like 95% of the other threads in The Saloon.

So if people don’t like it they should probably just stay out of the thread. That’s what I do with the threads I have no interest in.[/quote]

That seems like a reasonable solution to me.

I was more offended by his attack on the CC Card Caption Competition thread… seriously, what a rude guy.

Subject matter does not bother me, but not very interested in it though. Would rather view a Spaghetti :slight_smile: .

But like what has been said if you do not like the topic do not read it.

They were also [b]strong opponents [/b] of international capitalism, which they wieved as heavily influenced by jews

Sounds like a very mild term to use for someone who methodically and systematically exterminated and slaughtered several hundreds jews in a few years, doesn’t it?

Then again, if we are the ones who are ‘victims of propaganda’ it is Lindberg with his unusual statements that has to prove it. It’s not we the ones that we should prove that our statements are valid. The more extraordinary the statement you make the harder you have to try to convince the others of its validity.

1 Like

Yessir! :slight_smile:

[quote=“Søren, post:30, topic:2465”]Please enlighten me. What is it that Lindberg has said that is so bad?
Is a Hitler (or WWII)-thread off-topic (non SW-related)? You bet it is, just like 95% of the other threads in The Saloon.

So if people don’t like it they should probably just stay out of the thread. That’s what I do with the threads I have no interest in.[/quote]

Well - he has said something along the lines that we are all wrong (victims of mainstream propaganda). There was once someone else here that used to tell us we were all wrong - and that didn’t go down to well either. I think Lindberg is wrong but I added imo, but also said he shouldn’t be censored (imo).
It’s more the contentiousness of the ‘facts’ that he’s presenting, and that they appear out of context on other threads that bother me. I’m usually a fan of going off subject, but it’s usually a lighter affair and good for a laugh.

Lindberg has apologised for what has happened on TBG thread, and he has his forum for telling people they are wrong here (at least for the time being).

I tend to agree with the rest of what you say.

[quote=“Søren, post:30, topic:2465”]Please enlighten me. What is it that Lindberg has said that is so bad? As far as I can see he is only trying to draw a 3-dimensional image of Hitler as opposed to the default 2-dimensional we all run around with (very bad man) and give some more in-depth info to as to why WWII actually started and went the way it did.[/quote]The main question may be, does such a man deserve a 3 dimensional image? And thats a question, I’m not making a point (well, maybe a little)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
That’s more like it!

I can understand the extreme sensitivity in Germany on this issue, but sooner-or-later it has to be recognized by all that today’s Germany bears no resemblance whatsoever to the Third Reich. There is practically nobody (under the age of ~80) in that country who could possibly be guilty of anything. And it’s not coming back.