Minnesota Clay (Sergio Corbucci, 1964)

Minnesota Clay has been updated to the new layout (3.0). Let us know if you can add anything: pictures, posters, trivia, facts, figures, links, etc… This updates the first 100 (and some outside) in our Top 20++.

1 Like

Is this one going to get a US or UK release anytime soon with the option fir either ending :thinking: I do hope so!

Two questions that puzzle me here:

1. How long has Clay been in jail?

20 years is mentioned at the beginning by the doctor and his daughter doesn’t know him. But everyone in the town recognises him including Andy who is supposed to be ‘a kid’. So it can’t be that long. The events of his trial are spoken of as if it wasn’t too long ago - Fox doesn’t look that old to have been a bigwig 20 years ago. Clay also doesn’t seem too surprised that Fox is in his home town either if 20 years have gone.

1. Where is this set? Where is Mesa Getara?

Is it Mexico or New Mexico? Clay seems to cross the Rio Grande when he leaves the Doctor and no-one goes after him. But later he refers to New Mexico.
The town is full of gringos as well so it looks like America and Clay’s wife is buried there too.
But if it is America why is no-one coming after him?
And why was he in an army run prison anyway rather than some form of state penitentiary?

Thanks

Give your rating for Minnesota Clay. New poll is open for this one on the original post at the top of the page. :arrow_up: :+1: :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Re-watched this last week for the 2nd time in years!

This honestly feels like it is somewhere between a more gritty Anthony Mann 1950s western and “a fistful of dollars” then Sergio Corbucci’s Django but if you go into this one knowing that its a really interesting alternative timeline movie where sergio leone never made a fistful of dollars and changed the game for euro-westerns/westerns forever!

It also is just a pretty solid little movie all around so that helps!
I am very glad I revisited this one!

2 Likes

I enjoyed Minnesota Clay which I watched last night. Mitchell is good as Clay, slumbering about like a beat old dog but also the fastest shot in the Union. Good scene in the labour camp at the start followed by his breakout and the wagon scene. Estella a femme fatale with an edge trying to play all sides. Ortiz a good villain but Fox more cunning and devious. The scene where Clay was in the house with Jonathan, Nancy and that dunce Andy was great but laughable at the same time. They found the back door exit and just ran out despite a storm of bandits circling and got away with ease. Great scenes at towards the end with Estella and Fox and then the final showdown when Clay uses all his guile to over come his ailing vision and Fox’s gang.
In the version I watched, Clay says to Nancy that he wanted to take Fox alive and make him testify. He says to Nancy look at what he made me do, he made me try to kill my own daughter, followed by saying he had to do it for mother. Nancy sobs oh Clay and it ends.
Overall I enjoyed it and a solid 3 stars.

2 Likes