Minnesota Clay (Sergio Corbucci, 1964)

But putting it this way you can also easily defend the alternative TGS ending … :wink:

Minnesota Clay is not a western which needs a bad ending, a happy one would be just fine for me, but if the black Sergio wanted himself a good ending, why not directing a more convincing one? And not one which bears the risk to turn the whole film into a joke.

Nahh, as I said before, this ending smells very much like a producer’s idea, which Corbcci then turned into that joke, like he did with that TGS ending.

Btw what do you guys think about the I crudeli ending? Is that a premature ending, prematurely cut to suggest that both leads are not dying?

It’s a shame that there are not more interviews which could shed some light on Corbucci’s intentions and preferences. This semi autographic book by his widow would probably tell a lot.

1 Like

Not really, we have more info about how things went in the case of The Great Silence.
I’m btw not defending anything (other than that the happy ending works for me as well as the unhappy one), just trying to said what could have happened. I have been looking and asking people who possibly knew more but haven’t been able to find any conclusive evidence on the subject.

Could be, I always had the idea there was something wrong with the ending. Something seems to be missing and it’s to brief and also to ‘normal’ compared to the long, bloody opening massacre. But I should rewatch the entire movie to say anything conclusive about this

For some reason this movie has slipped through in my to-watch-list, I guess that the fact that it is a pre-Django spag from the “traditional” era made me overlook it, and now realize that it may be the case for others aswell since the movie doesn’t get the praise it really should IMO. I’m very happy that I watched it. First of all I enjoyed it all around a lot and second because it gave me a whole new perspective on Corbucci’s abilities as a story teller and director, having only seen the post-Django Corbucci’s I would honestly not think that Minnesota Clay would come out from him, I guess the boom of the Leone movies had him taking him another path. I look forward to watch Johnny Oro now aswell!

Gave this one a re-watch and added a review to my blog.

This may not be top 20 film for me but it is still well above average and plenty to enjoy.

3 Likes

This is one I should dig out again … been ages since I watched it, and I have no real memory except that I enjoyed it.

Yeah, it’s pretty good one for such an early sw. One of the few I’ve seen in cinema.

I looked for my VCI DVD copy of it today, can’t find it :pensive:

Ouch, that sucks! Even more reason to hope for a Blu-ray release!

1 Like

Gaumont issued an Italian/French blu ray of it in 2016.

1 Like

Revisited this through the reccent BR release from Explosive Media. This film has never looked better. A stunning transfer.

And what a film… A finely crafted film from a man who certainly knew his westerns…

Has anyone else thought about Mr. Fox and his LVC resemblance?

2 Likes

Bought the Koch Media version recently, never saw it before, and I thought it was probably one of the most underrated spaghetti fliks… Corbucci’s unflinching style was starting to come through… The original ending should have been left as it was
A classic early spaghetti flik

4 Likes

Cover of one of the many photo comics with Patrizia Del Frate, also known under the pseudonym Diana Martin.

Patrizia Del Frate

2 Likes

Just watched. Never seen before. Great movie. I even liked that happy ending. Indeed, Mr. Fox is very similar to Lee Van Cleef.

3 Likes

Minnesota Clay has been updated to the new layout (3.0). Let us know if you can add anything: pictures, posters, trivia, facts, figures, links, etc… This updates the first 100 (and some outside) in our Top 20++.

1 Like

Is this one going to get a US or UK release anytime soon with the option fir either ending :thinking: I do hope so!

Two questions that puzzle me here:

1. How long has Clay been in jail?

20 years is mentioned at the beginning by the doctor and his daughter doesn’t know him. But everyone in the town recognises him including Andy who is supposed to be ‘a kid’. So it can’t be that long. The events of his trial are spoken of as if it wasn’t too long ago - Fox doesn’t look that old to have been a bigwig 20 years ago. Clay also doesn’t seem too surprised that Fox is in his home town either if 20 years have gone.

1. Where is this set? Where is Mesa Getara?

Is it Mexico or New Mexico? Clay seems to cross the Rio Grande when he leaves the Doctor and no-one goes after him. But later he refers to New Mexico.
The town is full of gringos as well so it looks like America and Clay’s wife is buried there too.
But if it is America why is no-one coming after him?
And why was he in an army run prison anyway rather than some form of state penitentiary?

Thanks

Give your rating for Minnesota Clay. New poll is open for this one on the original post at the top of the page. :arrow_up: :+1: :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Re-watched this last week for the 2nd time in years!

This honestly feels like it is somewhere between a more gritty Anthony Mann 1950s western and “a fistful of dollars” then Sergio Corbucci’s Django but if you go into this one knowing that its a really interesting alternative timeline movie where sergio leone never made a fistful of dollars and changed the game for euro-westerns/westerns forever!

It also is just a pretty solid little movie all around so that helps!
I am very glad I revisited this one!

2 Likes

I enjoyed Minnesota Clay which I watched last night. Mitchell is good as Clay, slumbering about like a beat old dog but also the fastest shot in the Union. Good scene in the labour camp at the start followed by his breakout and the wagon scene. Estella a femme fatale with an edge trying to play all sides. Ortiz a good villain but Fox more cunning and devious. The scene where Clay was in the house with Jonathan, Nancy and that dunce Andy was great but laughable at the same time. They found the back door exit and just ran out despite a storm of bandits circling and got away with ease. Great scenes at towards the end with Estella and Fox and then the final showdown when Clay uses all his guile to over come his ailing vision and Fox’s gang.
In the version I watched, Clay says to Nancy that he wanted to take Fox alive and make him testify. He says to Nancy look at what he made me do, he made me try to kill my own daughter, followed by saying he had to do it for mother. Nancy sobs oh Clay and it ends.
Overall I enjoyed it and a solid 3 stars.

2 Likes