Mexican westerns?

Did we have a discussion on these films yet?

I think Bruckner lists some tortilla-westerns in his book, but I haven’t checked specifically prior to this posting.

Do we have any in the Database? , sorry didn’t check that either :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t know too much about them, haven’t seen any yet, I know some were made in the 70s, and I know a director called Rene Cardona.

I think some films were fairly violent.

There is of course the film El Topo, but maybe that one doesn’t quite belong to the rest of these films?

Were they influenced by SWs or do they have more in common with US-westerns?

Anybody seen any mexi-westerns or just know more about them?

Just received ‘Guns & Guts’ by Cardona (VCI Entertainment). It’s dubbed in English, widescreen and the print looks pretty good. This is an affordable option if you want to try a Mexi-western. However, I’ve taken a look at some scenes and the movie itself doesn’t look too grand. My impression of the flick is one of Mexicans trying to make a spaghetti western and (at least here) it doesn’t quite work.

I think this probably is not the kind of “Mexican western” you might mean but there is a really interesting Mexican Horror/Western from 1958 called The Living Coffin. It stars Gaston Santos and was directed by Fernando Mendez.
Pre-Spaghetti but Muy Bueno.

There are some others

• El Tunco Maclovio
  • Arde baby, arde
    Those have some SW influence too

Some people moght call What Am I Doing in the Middle of the Revoution, a Tortilla western since it was filmed in Mexico. I haven’t seen it so I can’t judge. My video store has a copy of guns and guts in there spaghetti western section and I migt check it out.

But it was shot in Spain.

What made you think Mexico?

According to the database, it was shot in Mexico. I might have heard some place else say that too.

El Tunco Maclovio (as mentioned before in this thread), is one Mexican western searching out as; moody, violent, great music and best of all for me a negative film :).

don’t believe everything you read in the database :smiley:

I have a copy of the Mexi-Westi DEAD AIM, but haven’t gotten round to watching it yet, the begining does look interesting though.

[quote=“Sebastian, post:9, topic:902”]don’t believe everything you read in the database :D[/quote]Well, I believe some scenes were shot in Mexico such as the biplane scene after the priest is lasod into the plane. It has a green rocky landscape that can be seen in man of John Wayne’s westerns. After all, he was Durango’s favorite son.

I don’t think so. I haven’t spotted anything which doesn’t look like the familiar spanish landscapes.

And Bruckner, our expert, lists only Spain.

I got “Emiliano Zapata”, which is said to be the most expensive Mexican film of all time. For me it was rather the most disappointing Mexican film of all time…

[quote=“Stanton, post:12, topic:902”]I don’t think so. I haven’t spotted anything which doesn’t look like the familiar spanish landscapes.

And Bruckner, our expert, lists only Spain.[/quote]Is it possible Bruckner is wrong? :wink:

It is possible. Don’t know if he fails in this case, but his book is also imperfect. For example he presents a photo of the usual Elios church (And god said to cain) and says it was Cave Studios.

Always possible.
But more unlikely than if it was claimed by truthful Tommy.

Weisser didn’t say Mexico but he did manage to not only offer a wrong synopsis but then offered a critique of it after showing he hadn’t seen it. Oh man. This guy.

Even if it was partly shot in Mexico, this doesn’t make it a Mexican western, it’s a SW by Corbucci

My question in this thread was for westerns produced in Mexico

Seems nobody knows much about these films

Most were very cheap I imagine. El Topo is a Mexican western I believe.

korano believes and imagines things