Metal Fans - your favorite genres

Wanted to know what if any the metal fans prefer to listen to (when they’re not listening to spaghetti western soundtracks).

my favorite genres are:

Traditional Doom - Black Sabbath, Witchfinder General, Solitude Aeturnus, Candlemass, Cathedral
Death Metal - Suffocation, Immolation, Unleashed, Decapitated, Vader
Heavy Metal (the NWOBHM stuff) - Maiden, Saxon, Tygers of Pan Tang, Raven, Diamond Head, Venom
Blackened Death Metal - Behemoth, Belphegor, Zylkon
Thrash - Sodom, Destruction, Slayer, Anthrax
Stoner Doom - Electric Wizard, Orange Goblin, Pod People

My favs:

First echelon: Led Zeppelin, Queensryche, Tool

Second echelon: Deep Purple, Metallica, Iron Maiden

Outsider: Dream Theater (They have a metal edge too, try Train of Thought)

Other: Mathcore - Dillinger Escape Plan (they’re amazing)

Heard my name… may I help?

If you could show me how exactly you walk through walls, that would be awesome…

Another “Other” - noise metal - Lightning Bolt - see documentary “Power of Salad” - known as being the loudest band around, crazy stuff - i guess technically this may not be considered “metal” but i see no reason not to…

sorry, no help from me in that.

Progessive- Mastodon

Black Metal: Bathory, Burzum, Ulver, Dark Throne
Viking Metal: Bathory, Moonsorrow
Doom Metal: Anathema (old stuff)
Trash Metal: Kreator
Heavy Metal: Manowar, Iron Maiden, Accept etc.

I too enjoy Bathory for both their Black Metal and Viking Metal albums

Hell Yeah! Bathory is probably my all time favorite band. It’s such a influential band, they invented Viking Metal and even though Black Metal has it’s roots in Venom and Mercyful Fate I’d say Bathory’s The Return… is the first “true black metal” -album.

I’ve been just reading Moynihan’s and Soderlind’s book Lords of Chaos -the Bloody rise of the satanic metal underground. Good book about the rise of Black Metal in Norway.

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:10, topic:1537”]Hell Yeah! Bathory is probably my all time favorite band. It’s such a influential band, they invented Viking Metal and even though Black Metal has it’s roots in Venom and Mercyful Fate I’d say Bathory’s The Return… is the first “true black metal” -album.

I’ve been just reading Moynihan’s and Soderlind’s book Lords of Chaos -the Bloody rise of the satanic metal underground. Good book about the rise of Black Metal in Norway.[/quote]

Rock on! Bathory has become one of my favorites in metal. I love their first a lot - The Return… is masterful as well.

I read Lords of Chaos a few years ago and enjoyed it. The first half is better than the 2nd but I’ll let you be the judge of that.

Black Metal - THE genre for me! Underground stuff only, no Nuclear Blast shit! Albums I’ve been listening lately:

Evilfeast: "Funeral Sorcery"
Old Wainds: "Withers of the Wainds"
Wigrid: "Hoffnungstod"
Lutomysl: "Catharsis"
Ulver: "Nattens Madrigal"
Lycanthropy’s Spell: "Forest of Misanthropy"
Xasthur: "A Gate Through Bloodstained Mirrors"
Krohm: "Crown of the Ancients"
Veineliis: “In This Forest Shall Be My Gallows”

Funeral Doom (Thergothon, Funeral) - Not sure about what this means but I like “slow death metal” doom like Cathedral (first albums only!), Abyssmal Sorrow & Eyes of Ligeia.

Viking Metal - Quorthon = GOD!!! Einherjer (underrated band!), Nachfalke, early Enslaved. “Barbaric metal” is a subgenre of Viking metal I guess… Graveland, Woodtemple, Gontyna Kry… just about everything from old Polish hordes!

Other stuff - Heavy metal with BM influences, like Deströyer 666, Ancient Rites, The Meads of Asphodel. Some good folk metal, some heavy metal (King Diamond = demigod!).

[quote=“Silver Wolf, post:12, topic:1537”]Ulver: “Nattens Madrigal”[/quote]My favorite black metal album!
I’m looking for more brutal/fast black metal stuff like this one and Dark Throne’s Transilvanian Hunger. Can you recommend me some bands/albums?

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:13, topic:1537”]My favorite black metal album!
I’m looking for more brutal/fast black metal stuff like this one and Dark Throne’s Transilvanian Hunger. Can you recommend me some bands/albums?[/quote]

Sure! I have nothing but brutal/fast BM anyway… with exception of of Suicide BM of course! :wink:

In no particular order!

Judas Iscariot - “Heaven In Flames”

• Akhenaten’s best & fastest album, very UG production, better drum playing than on older stuff. “To Embrace the Corpses Bleeding” & “Moonlight Butchery EP” are my other favorites but not up to par with this.

Old Wainds - “Withers of the Wainds” & “We Are The North…Mean Cold War”

• Very Darkthorne-like but not a worship band, fast & repetitive. “We Are…” is split with Nav’, another band with same guys. Both bands are shit these days, with too good production.

Lascowiec - “Asgard Mysteries”

• Very weird band. 50% of tracks are fast & grim BM, 50% strange cosmic instrumentals. Reminds me of Russian band Vargleide, which is like strange esoteric version of Darkthrone.

Kristallnach - “Blooddrenched Memorial 1991-2002”

• All their stuff on one CD. Very fast + brutal, very shit (in a good way!) production. One of best CDs ever. They are NS of course.

Forest - “Foredooming the Hope for Eternity” & “As a Song in the Harvest of Grief”

• Russian band, like Darkthrone but with some clean backing vocals lifted from Isengard. One of the best bands ever! Maybe hard to get into because of intentionally confusing production. You can’t follow guitars or any other instruments, it’s more like wall of sound. Branikald, another great band with same guys, is even more extreme. Both are some kind of esoteric NS, very weird lyrics.

Nachtmystiym - “Demise”

• Their early stuff in nothing special and this new psychedelic “Pink Floyd goes BM” stuff is not for me but in between they releaed this one masterpiece of grim BM. Some of the darkest guitar solos ever. “Nachmystiym” EP is also worth owning.

Varhorn - “Vookhoo the Raven” EP

• Belarussian band I know nothing about! Just one EP from 2002 and that’s it. More like Carpathian Forest gone insane, very fast & brutal with very aggressive vocals and great bass guitar lines. Some members are from Kruk (Blr), another very weird & brutal BM band with great release “Drowned in a SwampHeart of Evrope”!

Paysage d’hiver - “Schattengang” & “Paysage d’hiver”

• One of the most extreme musical projects ever, one man band from Switzerland worshipping winter & cold. Fast, with ultra-grim sound, long ambient/synth parts, and violin on some tracks. Album “Die Festung” is 100% ambient. There is no human life in Paysage d’hiver’s music… just winter, darkness and sounds of wind, snow falling from trees and wolves howling.

Wigrid - “Hoffnungstod”

• Burzum worship with sound & production similar to Burzum’s s/t album. Good band but nothing original. Second CD is less worship but pretty slow stuff, more like Suicide BM (Abyssic Hate etc.)

If listening these makes you happy… then I have failed! ;D

Thanks, Silver Wolf! Thanks a lot.

funeral doom is doom played at excruciatingly slow pace usually with death metal growls and occasionally with female soprano vocals. Take a band like My Dying Bride and slow them down to a quarter speed or the speed that a funeral procession moves at…

MANOWAR is my favorite metal band. Those guys seriously have the most loyal fans of any other group out there. I have all the albums (minus some of the comp discs) and all but the recent live DVD’s. I was lucky enough to see them live a couple years ago with RHAPSODY (now RHAPSODY OF FIRE) and HOLYHELL.

ACCEPT
HELLOWEEN
PRETTY MAIDS (the early stuff, but I like all their albums)
SAVATAGE (mostly the early albums)

There are others, but I have most or all the albums of these groups.

To put it in the words of Jack White III:

“I sort of don’t trust anyone who doesn’t like Led Zeppelin.”

[quote=“Dillinger, post:18, topic:1537”]To put it in the words of Jack White III:

“I sort of don’t trust anyone who doesn’t like Led Zeppelin.”[/quote]

guess you don’t trust me then - I got burned out on Zep in High School and I don’t listen to them anymore.

I also never got the whole notion they were one of the originators of Metal - they weren’t - they were heavy sure but not in the vein Black Sabbath.

[quote=“Frank Talby, post:19, topic:1537”]guess you don’t trust me then - I got burned out on Zep in High School and I don’t listen to them anymore.

I also never got the whole notion they were one of the originators of Metal - they weren’t - they were heavy sure but not in the vein Black Sabbath.[/quote]

Do you really think Black Sabbath is better than Led Zeppelin, Frank?

As originators BS seems to me mainly responsible for all these death, voodoo, horror, and yes black sabbath things, which all are a bit silly (and gave heavy metal a bad name), and not really essential for the musical aspect of heavy metal (they are more essential to the ‘show off’ aspect of it, just like those impressive light shows are essential to the show off aspect of prog rock)