Mario Bava

Knives of the avenger is a so so movie in my opinion. Too much drama going on. Besides that, I don’t think I will ever become a Cameron Mitchell fan. Liked the atmosphere though.
Also watched Shock, which wasn’t that great either. A far fetched story that did not manage to keep my attention aal the way.
Both are fairly decent movies though, so it wasn’t a total drag sitting through them.
A couple of days later I viewed his son’s Demoni which I enjoyed all the more. A fun horror movie that didn’t make a whole lot of sense, but what the hell. A nice and gory piece of trash.

Noticed Danger Diabolik in HMV today at £4.
I’ve never seen it. Is it worth a go at that price?

[quote=“Phil H, post:42, topic:569”]Noticed Danger Diabolik in HMV today at £4.
I’ve never seen it. Is it worth a go at that price?[/quote]

Dammit…i picked that one up a while ago…but at our HMV it was £6 :smiley: It’s not bad. A bit style over substance and i do prefer the Kriminal films but still liked this one. There’s a pretty good featurette about the source material too. Probably worth £4 anyway!

Style over substance eh? Sounds just the ticket!

I only have Bay of Blood on dvd, but it’s damned cool. Macbeth crossovered with ten Little Indians. :stuck_out_tongue: And a lot of blood… not to mention two great SW heroes as bad guys.

Yes i have Bay Of Blood (but with the ridiculous title of Twitch Of The Death Nerve!!)…it is a good one. My only quibble would be that Claudio Camaso’s character doesn’t make it to the end… :wink:

I love Bay of blood. Great film that’s often misunterstood.

I sold an uncut UK pre-cert VHS tape to Bay of Blood in 1999 for £70 U.K pounds ;D.

Thats a “ripper” of a price for sure ;D

I have this GREAT Bava Film “Bay Of Blood” 1971 in Region 1 DVD & the Original Italian.
Like 99% of Mario Bava Films the directorial style, visual imagery, refined plot, cast are

ABSOLUTELY WORLD BEATING MARIO BAVA= MASTER

The ‘cash’ was used to buy my first DVD player, which is still working great…a Sony!

Great that you know Italian SD…all that great viewing!

[quote=“ENNIOO, post:50, topic:569”]The ‘cash’ was used to buy my first DVD player, which is still working great…a Sony!

Great that you know Italian SD…all that great viewing![/quote]

Happy to hear your DVD Player is a (working still) Sony from 1999 :slight_smile:
Yes ITALIAN is my first language & it sure helps with buying/watching Classic SWs/Giallos :slight_smile:

I have it with Italian audio and English subs, too. :smiley:

Claudio is so damned cool when he’s killing. Too bad he was defeated ;D, but I liked the whole movie. Stylish and symbolic.

Mario Bava Thrillers/Horror are blessed with wonderful casts/photography/plots :slight_smile:

BLACK SUNDAY 1961 JOHN RICHARDSON BARBARA STEELE BAVA CLASSIC

Well, I made that Danger Diabolik purchase at £3.99 and what a bargain! I really enjoyed this film. Total nonsense from start to finish of course but brilliant fun. Did Mike Myers watch this while researching for Austin Powers do you think? The psychadelic club scene could have been lifted straight out of The Spy Who Shagged Me.
Moreover, I will never again listen to any John Philip Law is wooden nonsense. That eyebrow action was outstanding! In fact I think there should be a special academy award for such things. Most animated facial hair in a leading role maybe?
Top draw 60s kitch.

He was the master…

My favorites are:
Blood and Black Lace
Bay of Blood (see the Raro release not the R1 junk version)
Black Sabbath

Possibly my favourite director…

My favourites are:
The Vampires
Black Sunday
The Girl Who Knew Too Much
Black Sabbath
The Whip and the Body
Planet of the Vampires
Kill, Baby… Kill!
Danger: Diabolik
Five Dolls for an August Moon
Hatchet for the Honeymoon
A Bay of Blood

Mario Bava & Leone are my two favorite European directors. Both of them had style like nobody else. Id say my favorite Bava movies are:

Danger: Diabolik
Four Times That Night
Kill Baby Kill
Blood And Black Lace
Three Faces Of Fear/Black Sabbath
Hercules In The Haunted World (rock monster!)

my favourite mario bava film is “black sabbath”.this film continously eluded me for many years and i finally managed to see it in it’s original form, beautifully restoredand it was worth the wait. the first story is the weakest although not without interest, the second is the best,very atmospheric and contains a powerful, scary performance from boris karloff who plays the lead vampire for the only time in his career and this role is one of his best, in my opinon second only to his performance in robert wise’s 1945 film " the body snatcher". the last story is short but creepy and features the most scary corpse you’ll ever see in a film. only a silly last scene with karloff dents a otherwise very good film.

got Hatchet for the Honeymoon in the mail today… looking forward to watching it

A very cool film - stylish & quite funny in places. Excellent trailer too. Enjoy…