Mad Dog Morgan (Philippe Mora / 1976/ Australia)

What’s the word on this film? Any good? Worth picking up?

Looks pretty violent…

Stars Dennis Hopper and won the award for best Western at Cannes Film Festival in May 1976

MAD Dog Morgan, written and directed by Philippe Mora, is an idiosyncratic, intriguing, vividly atmospheric example of 1970s Australian cinema. Mora persuaded Dennis Hopper to play real-life bushranger Dan Morgan, who is depicted as a man caught up in the brutality of frontier life on the goldfields, an outsider from the moment he comes to the aid of a Chinese man attacked by a mob. David Gulpilil is the Aboriginal man with whom he forms a close alliance, and who helps him escape the forces of the law. Hopper was famously out of control and over the top at the time of filming, although he turned in a striking performance, in a movie that echoes the increasingly troubled, chaotic, rampaging state of mind of its central character.

Well, I really like Hopperbut he cannot pull of an Irish accent.

If you are thinking of picking up Troma DVD, don’t. I’ve heard it’s terribly cut (adios all violence) and fake widescreen (fullscreen version with black bars). Australian DVD isn’t perfect either but at least it’s uncut and 1.85:1 (should be 2.35:1).

The film is like many other Hopper films from 60s to 80s, interesting in many ways but not very good. I should probably watch it again since I don’t remember much of it…

I was looking at the Umbrella Entertainment release

Run Time: 98MIN

Special features

• To Shoot a Mad Dog: Making of Mad Dog Morgan documentary -23 Mins
  • Dennis Hopper interviewed by Philippe Mora - 30 Mins
  • Audio Commentary by Director Philippe Mora
  • Radio Interview from 1976. Philippe Mora talks about Mad Dog Morgan - 14 mins
  • Mad Dog Morgan script PDF
  • Mad Dog Morgan programme - PDF
  • Stills Gallery
  • Mad Dog Morgan Film Excerts x 16

I haven’t heard of this release before but it looks much better than the one I have.

Philippe Mora… what a strange guy. He also directed The Beast Within and first two Howling sequels. I’d like to see more films from him.

[quote=“autephex, post:4, topic:1674”]I was looking at the Umbrella Entertainment release

Run Time: 98MIN

Special features

• To Shoot a Mad Dog: Making of Mad Dog Morgan documentary -23 Mins
  • Dennis Hopper interviewed by Philippe Mora - 30 Mins
  • Audio Commentary by Director Philippe Mora
  • Radio Interview from 1976. Philippe Mora talks about Mad Dog Morgan - 14 mins
  • Mad Dog Morgan script PDF
  • Mad Dog Morgan programme - PDF
  • Stills Gallery
  • Mad Dog Morgan Film Excerts x 16[/quote]God! I just ate!

here’s a link to the dvd on their direct site
http://www.umbrellaent.com.au/products/show/3/1021

I’ve never heard of Umbrella Entertainment until I saw this disc. Looks like they are based in AU and was released in October, so fairly new.

Strange atmosphere to the film last time I viewed. Must view this one again.

[quote=“autephex, post:7, topic:1674”]here’s a link to the dvd on their direct site
http://www.umbrellaent.com.au/products/show/3/1021

I’ve never heard of Umbrella Entertainment until I saw this disc. Looks like they are based in AU and was released in October, so fairly new.[/quote]

Yeah, they’re like the Blue Underground of Australia, great selection of horror and Australian titles, usually great quality prints.

Well, I know its no raw boor’s anus…

Hopper’s beard looks a little false to me at times. Hopper is interesting to watch though, but at times seems to be taking the piss out of the character. Maybe he was a little drunk, as in the interview with Hopper on the disc I viewed he did admit to having a spot of rum during filming. I did like moments of the film, but at times I just thought the film was repeating its self.